The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2002, 01:58 PM   #1
Cliff

Reverse lights

Since I installed the origiona th350 back in my truck last summer, the reverse lights come on when the truck is in neutral and go off when the truck is in reverse. I am pretty sure that this is not a big problem and that it has a easy fix. But I need ot know what it is. Where my linkage bolts on to the traney is does not appear that there is much adjustment and that it will only bolt onto the traney one way. There was a newer TH350 in the truck out of a malibu and the lights worked correctly. Thanks a lot. Cliff
Old 10-19-2002, 02:26 PM   #2
71k5

Check for a switch on the lower part of the steering column inside the cab; I can't remember if there's one there or not...
71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
Zkast
Account Suspended

There are 2 adjustments that need to be checked. First: Since the problem started after a trans replacement, Check your shift rod adjustment. Does the shift indicator line up? Do the detents (lockouts) built into the column line up? If either of those 2 are off, re adjust them FIRST.

If after you check the above and its still not right, You'll need to adjust the actual neutral safety/backup light switch. Towards the base of the column you'll see a switch with 2 connectors (4 wires) attached.
Adjust the switch by loosening the 1/4" screws and moving the switch by placing the shift lever in park then rotate the switch counter clockwise until it stops. Or you can just put it in reverse and adjust it so the lights operate in only that position.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote