The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
COBALT

'99 5.7 liter rear main seal leaking

The '99 tahoe I'm constantly whining about appears to have a rear main seal leak. It has the usual automatic 3spd with overdrive transmission, and I'm noticing some blowback all over the transmission case whenever I do an oil change. It hasn't gotten bad enough to cover the entire case, nor is it burning up on the exhaust yet, but it looks like it is coming from the rear main seal.

Do these 5.7l engines have a two-part seal that can be replaced externally while the engine is still in the rig (by moving the transmission out of the way), or do I have to get nasty with it by replacing it out of the truck with the bottom end of the engine exposed?
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
bwood

Re: '99 5.7 liter rear main seal leaking

The 5.7L has a one piece rear main seal since 1987 in the trucks. You can do it by removing the tranny instead of the engine. If it is a RMS leaking the oil should look like it is coming out of the transmission bell housing. You can remove the inspection cover (you may also have to remove the starter) and see if there is oil all over the place inside.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBALT View Post
The '99 tahoe I'm constantly whining about appears to have a rear main seal leak. It has the usual automatic 3spd with overdrive transmission, and I'm noticing some blowback all over the transmission case whenever I do an oil change. It hasn't gotten bad enough to cover the entire case, nor is it burning up on the exhaust yet, but it looks like it is coming from the rear main seal.

Do these 5.7l engines have a two-part seal that can be replaced externally while the engine is still in the rig (by moving the transmission out of the way), or do I have to get nasty with it by replacing it out of the truck with the bottom end of the engine exposed?

Make sure its not coming from the oil cooler adapter thats between the oil filter & block (if your truck is equipped with a oil cooler?)
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
COBALT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Make sure its not coming from the oil cooler adapter thats between the oil filter & block (if your truck is equipped with a oil cooler?)
Nope. Pretty standard setup. Just for the record there's never any oil on the filter, and it doesn't seem to be coming from the front, sides of the oil pan or from the plug. I checked up top to see if the valve covers are leaking and they don't seem to be. The rear main crank-to-flex plate flange looks pretty wet, but I can't get my hand in there to check.

I'll see if I can pull the inspection cover and take a look. If I can replace the rear main seal by pulling the transmission at least that's something. The bell housing looks more "complete" than the older transmissions, so the inspection cover doesn't look like it bolts up from below to cover the torque converter and flex plate, so the inspection cover looks flat and most likely bolted to the bell housing from the front instead from underneath. I replaced the starter a couple of months ago, and I think you're right - I'll have to remove it to get to one of the inspection cover bolts. We'll see.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 06-28-2010 at 09:31 PM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote