The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
Stepside 67

New Member - '67 Gauge Cluster Short Circuit

Hello all. First post. Thanks for reading and I hope someone here can help me. I'm resto-rodding a nice little '67 Step Side and ran into a problem with the reproduction cluster. I think I followed the instructions but upon startup, I blow the 3 amp fuse and get no gauge action. As well, upon start up, the tach blips but then drops to "0".

Here's the weird one - when I put the right turn signal on, the high beam indicator blinks. When I put the high beam lights on, the right turn signal arrow blinks. Left signal works fine. Four way flashers indicate same as signals. Gauge lights seem to be working. All gauges light up when engine starts, whether running lights are on our not. This isn't what I expected but I don't have a problem with this way unless it's part of my short circuit issue.

Also of note, I've swapped out the steering column too. Switched from the factory original 3 speed column shift manual to a 700R4. Column is tilt with column shift. I mention this in case someone has encountered the probkem with the setup I have here.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Stepside 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: New Member - '67 Gauge Cluster Short Circuit

Did you switch from the 3-hole Standard dash to the 7-hole Deluxe dash?
Do you have a Pertronix III ignition, by chance?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Stepside 67

My recollection has the original cluster as 2 hole but I could be wrong. Painted silver frame with black grained face. Speedo on left and fuel gauge with warning lights on right. The cluster I bought is indeed the deluxe. Speedo, tach, fuel, oil pressure, battery, water temp and a blank.

I'm told by engine supplier (ATK) that the distributor is MSD (HEI). I installed a tach filter in line between the distributor and the tach. Basically, a hot wire in, a wire out and a ground in/out too.

Thank you.

Last edited by Stepside 67; 06-02-2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 06-01-2019, 11:48 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside 67 View Post
My recollection has the original cluster as 2 hole but I could be wrong. Painted silver frame with black grained face. Speedo on left and fuel gauge with warning lights on right. The cluster I bought is indeed the deluxe. Speedo, tach, fuel, oil pressure, battery, water temp and a blank.

I'm told by engine supplier (ATK) that the distributor is MDI (HEI). I installed a tach filter in line between the distributor and the tach. Basically, a hot wire in, a wire out and a ground in/out too.

Thank you.

The wiring for the two clusters is different You may have fried some of the gauges. Read these threads.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645940

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=710753

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #5
Stepside 67

Firstly, I want to thank all that have responded and helped me so far with my gauge cluster issue. I have followed TBONE1964's advice and re-arranged the wires in my connector. See below for what I did:

On the connector, there is 1 - 6 on one side and 7-12 on the other.

Here is what you need to move and what stays the same.

Move the following wires on the connector to change from a warning light to a full gauge cluster.

Move the wire in the number 6 position to the number 7 location.

Move the dark green wire in the number 5 position to 6 location

Number 4 location has no change and remains the same.

Move the number 7 pink wire to the number 3 position.

Number 2 position has no change and remains the same.

Number 1 postion is removed and taped off. You will need to add a wire from the alternator to the number 1 position. (See wiring schematics in service manual or equivalent)

Move the two grey wires in the number 12 location to the number 8 location. These are for dash lights.

Move the number 11 position to the number 9 position.

Number 10 has no change and remains the same.

Move the number 9 position to the number 11 position.

Add a black wire to #12 from the battery. (See wiring schematics in service manual or equivalent)

My follow up questions are as follows:
1. Regarding the need to run a wire from the alternator to position #1 in the connector, is there an alternative to going all the way to the alternator? I'm working hard to keep the engine bay free from visible wires and am hoping I can tie in to the voltage regulator or better yet, the same wire once it's inside the cab. Maybe?

2. Same question for the referenced black wire from the battery to position #12. Can I tie in somewhere less conspicuous?

3. Lastly, I'm looking for any advice available on what might be wrong with my tach. I'm using Classic Industries cluster # CX1532T. I used the inline filter that was recommended (Autometer #9116) and the ignition distributor that came with my crate engine is MSD HEI #8362. When I start the engine, the needle blips but quickly settles back to zero and stays there.

Advice much appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

A friend of mine had a Pertronix III distributor in his '73 F250. His tach wouldn't work. The Pertronix tech rep [on the phone] told him to switch to a Pertronix II if he wanted a Tach.
The Pertronix III is a multiple spark discharge type unit. What does MSD stand for?

A normal GM type HEI is Tach-compatible. Run the tach wire ti the terminal marked "TACH" on the coil cap. The other one is the ''BATT+'' for the 12 VDC power.
Most tachs have 3 wires. One goes to the coil, one to ground and one to dash light power.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
GMCPaul

A lot of factory style tachometers and fuel injection systems will not interface with the signal provided by MSD controlled distributor. MSD makes several different tach adapters to correct this problem by producing a signal similar to the factory setup for those applications. I'd suggest contacting MSD direct and provide them with your ignition information so they can then direct you to the correct adapter for your application.
It's also our understanding that the wires for amp gauge need to routed to the original locations that GM used using the correct gauges of wire while doing so.
Dad created the original idiot light dash conversion directions that it seems some have expanded on back in the 2000 that you are currently referencing from others post links provided in this post. Here's a link to the original information he created on doing this.
https://gmcpauls.com/TechTips1.htm
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Stepside 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
A friend of mine had a Pertronix III distributor in his '73 F250. His tach wouldn't work. The Pertronix tech rep [on the phone] told him to switch to a Pertronix II if he wanted a Tach.
The Pertronix III is a multiple spark discharge type unit. What does MSD stand for?

A normal GM type HEI is Tach-compatible. Run the tach wire ti the terminal marked "TACH" on the coil cap. The other one is the ''BATT+'' for the 12 VDC power.
Most tachs have 3 wires. One goes to the coil, one to ground and one to dash light power.
Hi 80 OS.

"MSD" is a brand of ignition parts. MSD is Multiple Spark Distribution, now owned by Holley. Hope this helps.

Also hoping someone else here has experienced the need to connect this distributor part number to the reproduction cluster with tach.

Anyone?

Last edited by Stepside 67; 06-20-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Thanks, I'll look them up.