The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2019, 02:08 AM   #26
lousyflyer

Re: GGRRRR somtimes I hate having nice things

To the original poster: I'm not trying to pry into your business but if possible, let us know the outcome of this if you make a claim with an insurance company whether its yours or the other driver's carrier. Your truck looks like it has been well cared for - unlike mine, which happens to be a similar color. So I feel your pain(t).
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #27
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
I’m not so sure that State Farm will say his truck is total and slap a salvage title on the truck. I think there would have to be a safety issue for them to do a salvage title. I recently got hail damage on my 99 Silverado. The adjuster from State Farm came out and spent a good 30 minutes looking it over. His office called me the next day and told me they would pay a certain amount and I keep the truck or pay me $800 more and they take the truck. I had a check three days after the guy came out. The title doesn’t change.

OP, that sure does stink about your truck. I hope they take care of you.
That's exactly what State Farm did in 1998 when I had an engine fire in my '67 K/10 Suburban. Their adjustor took one look and called it a 'POS' and totalled it. I got it back with a Salvage Title and after some wrangling with me and an independent appraiser -- taking into account its 454 and the fact that only 166 half ton 4x4 '67 Subs were ever made -- I got a check for $1550. Then I dropped State Farm and went over to Allstate.[IKR] I know they will be just as bad, but I wanted to send State Farm a message that I was not pleased with them.
If I'd known what a Salvage Title did to the truck's value, I would've never made a claim in the first place.

68is4me -- From the pic that looks like the fender could be pounded back out. Matching the paint again is the issue.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #28
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
That's exactly what State Farm did in 1998 when I had an engine fire in my '67 K/10 Suburban. Their adjustor took one look and called it a 'POS' and totalled it. I got it back with a Salvage Title and after some wrangling with me and an independent appraiser -- taking into account its 454 and the fact that only 166 half ton 4x4 '67 Subs were ever made -- I got a check for $1550. Then I dropped State Farm and went over to Allstate.[IKR] I know they will be just as bad, but I wanted to send State Farm a message that I was not pleased with them.
If I'd known what a Salvage Title did to the truck's value, I would've never made a claim in the first place.

68is4me -- From the pic that looks like the fender could be pounded back out. Matching the paint again is the issue.
Man that stinks. I’d probably feel the same way if I were in your shoes.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I had the same "totalled" car deal with State Farm, but we bought the salvage of my son's '70 Dart for some ridiculously low price like $79 or something, and had enough money to put it back like it was before. We sold it later, and the guy buying it didn't care at all about the salvage title. It would be different though, with one of these trucks.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #30
68is4me

I am just bummed. I have touched every single bolt on this truck including just rebuild trans and motor, that I just put in a week earlier. I was really excited to be able to go to some cruising this summer and show up with a nice looking truck. I know it just a fender and I am not going to fix till after the cruising season now. I am just tired of working on it for now.

I will let everybody know how the insurance side turns out. Her insurance company has been calling and wants to look at it but we just left for a 2 week vacation.

I have never really been in an accident before. Can I didcate what parts I want to use? The fenders are original and I don't want aftermarket.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #31
lousyflyer

Well if her insurance company is already trying to contact you, it aint state farm calling. I got a call from my insurance co who said they were contacted and that state farm had the wrong phone number-off by one digit.
This was about two months after the date of the collision. I still had to call them first. That was my first mistake... of many to follow.

Just a couple of tips for you when you do see their representative--
1. Wash the vehicle. To the point where you can eat off the hood.
2. if there is anything missing off the truck -put it back on. Chrome trim,
radio knob, anything and everything. This vehicle
cannot look like a work in progress. You are basically offering the vehicle
for sale because THEY are going to lower the assessed value and create
a number that is advantageous to Them. This makes it easier to total
out the cost of repairs vs. the value of the vehicle.
3.Collect any and all reciepts for what you have invested in this truck and
have them in a folder. Beat them at their own game. Get in the first
punch, even if it has to be a sucker punch.

The age of your truck, along with the unavailability of original replacement parts will contribute to a total loss decision.

In my state the insurance companies are required to file a total loss report, but only if payment is made. If you decline payment, they close the claim and no report is filed. No salvage title is given or required, even if the vehicle now has a steering wheel sticking out of the back bumper and the roof has been torn off.

This is how they get out of paying claims and make BILLIONS in profit. If Al Capone was alive today, he would be involved in the insurance industry.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #32
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
If Al Capone was alive today, he would be involved in the insurance industry.
Actually he was in the insurance business -- sort of.
''For 50 bucks we'll guarantee your store won't burn down this week, see?''

Old 06-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #33
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post

Isn’t it ironic how if you need to buy a truck or parts, they’re worth SO much, but when it comes to cases like yours (having to deal with a lame brained driver that doesn’t want to accept responsibility), our trucks are “a 50 year old vehicle of no worth”.
Insurance is such a racket
Man, i hope you get a fair settlement.
If they continue to be AHs about it, have your insurance company go after theirs.
Not ironic, more like moronic. It's sad but true. What's even worse today is we have to pay them twice now...once for your monthly coverage, then the deductible. The deductible really grinds my gears. I paid once already to have the coverage, now I have to pay more just to use said coverage?! Insurance is such a BS scam.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #34
70cst

68is4me I feel you pain …
Here are some pics of what I went through about 5 years ago when a tornado hit the barn my truck was stored in... Did about $20,000 worth of damage.
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #35
68is4me

Insurance side actually came out really good. I went to reputable body shop that i know and trust. The estimate came back at $2300.00. Figured it was a little low but okay will see what happens. I told the insurance company I built the truck myself and would like to redo it myself. So i made my own estimate following the body shop estimate, but added another $1,000 for paint and materials cause i know what the paint cost me.

The adjuster came out and said his estimator could not even go back that far So he took the body shop estimate and used the labor times they had and my paint supplies. Insurance cut me a check for $3,200.00 not many questions asked.

It did help that I had invoice quotes for paint and the replacement parts. I was more happy with the insurance outcome.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #36
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Awesome outcome! So glad to hear something positive today, I needed it!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #37
'68OrangeSunshine

Good for you, Buddy.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #38
HO455
Post Whore

Glad to hear that!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #39
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner