The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Bodied67

Project: A Bodied67

Im new to this forum, but have been creeping around as of lately, this is my new project i got going on.

I picked up what i believe to be is a 67 c10, only because it has the front end of a 67. It is a Stockfloor Bodydropped 3/4 chassis, that i believe is 2x4 box frame with a "z'd" front end, and some serious custom work in the back half. This work was apparently done by a shop in New Jersey, Haggard Fabrication, Ive looked him up and he does some amazing fabricating and welding.

Its been under a tarp for roughly 2 years, this was the day i pulled it out with the flatbed, It was actually up off the ground but the tires were flat and sunk in the mud so i knew it had been there awhile. It came with a number of body panels for the front end, brand new goodmark doors, and a somewhat destroyed stepside bed but ill be able to save that with some work i hope.

The cab floor was somewhat dirty but luckily this cab literally has no rot or serious rust issues, i was very surprised, except for the fact that the cab floor has a huge cut out for a custom tranny tunnel...

I got the truck home and into storage in mid march to sit until work slowed down, now that it finally has this brings us to this passed weekend...

I pulled the cab off because after filling the tires with air and taking the wooden blocks out from the suspension, the frame of the truck was sitting higher than pinch weld of the cab, this threw me off until i pulled the cab off and realized there were no body mounts, but this sucker lays COMPLETELY OUT

Heres a few shots of the suspension

Now i have run into my first problem, i got the truck and it had ART StrongArms which came with it, which i was happy about but after throwing them on i realized i have some spindle issues, it has to be wrong because the balljoints on the control arms, do not want to fit into the spindle enough to make it possible to completey thread the bolt onto them? So in my mind one of them is wrong.

Thats my progress so far as i am maybe only 3 hours into this but i think that it has some serious potential to be an awesome build and a killer truck once finished.

I plan on slightly bodyworking the frame and painting it soon, so mocking everything up on that is first order of business.
Bodied67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Re: Project: A Bodied67

Killer foundation for an amazing truck. Looks like wrong balljoints for sure. Or right balljoints and wrong spindles. Either way you look at it. Any part numbers on the ball joints?

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Xeen

Ah yeah those are 67-70 ball joints for drum brakes and it needs 71-72 ball joints for disk brakes.
The stud is longer on the 71-72 version, I ran into the same thing when I did my front disk swap.
Just dont tear up the 67-70 drum brake ball joints and you can resell them here on the board and recover most of the cost of the new ones you buy.
O'Reilly Loans tools and they have a ball joint tool that makes removing and pressing in lower ball joints a breeze.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-13-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Bodied67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Killer foundation for an amazing truck. Looks like wrong balljoints for sure. Or right balljoints and wrong spindles. Either way you look at it. Any part numbers on the ball joints?
looks like the part numbers are 6784 for the uppers and 5651? for the lowers
Old 08-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Bodied67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Ah yeah those are 67-70 ball joints for drum brakes and it needs 71-72 ball joints for disk brakes.
The stud is longer on the 71-72 version, I ran into the same thing when I did my front disk swap.
Just dont tear up the 67-70 drum brake ball joints and you can resell them here on the board and recover most of the cost of the new ones you buy.
O'Reilly Loans tools and they have a ball joint tool that makes removing and pressing in lower ball joints a breeze.
Ok that makes sense

Next question, can i just replace the spindles and make these work or am i going to have to change out the balljoints reguardless?

I do want to keep the disk brakes in the front, obviously im going to have to buy all new rotors, calipers and whatnot because these didnt come complete anyway but i have no problem buying new spindles thatll fit these controlarms, as i was planning on buying drop spindles to be able to go with a bigger wheel combo in the future (22s all around)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
sboris

All looks great, except my neck hurts
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
c10Dream'n

i'm in for the ride. I enjoy seeing people put their skills to work being that I am very limited. Best of luck.

What all do you have envisioned for the truck?
c10Dream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Bodied67

For some reason when viewing this on a mobile device it flips the images upside down? Maybe I formatted the pics wrong. My bad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Bodied67

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10Dream'n View Post
i'm in for the ride. I enjoy seeing people put their skills to work being that I am very limited. Best of luck.

What all do you have envisioned for the truck?
At this point I'm really open to anything, I'm a Certified Painter/Body Tech by trade so the bodywork isn't a big deal at all. I plan on leaving everything stock for the most part with some small subtle changes here and there. my biggest concern is making sure the truck will be able to fit 22s all the way around with no clearance issues., And still retain its drivability. As for a motor I'm more than likely going to go the LS route over a carbed motor. I really like the things I'm seeing with fuel injection these days. Trying to sort out the spindle/balljoints issue is really the only thing holding me up from breaking the frame down for paint, that and welding in new front shock mounts which I have but haven't done yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodied67 View Post
Ok that makes sense

Next question, can i just replace the spindles and make these work or am i going to have to change out the balljoints reguardless?

I do want to keep the disk brakes in the front, obviously im going to have to buy all new rotors, calipers and whatnot because these didnt come complete anyway but i have no problem buying new spindles thatll fit these controlarms, as i was planning on buying drop spindles to be able to go with a bigger wheel combo in the future (22s all around)
Unfortunately it isn't just as easy as deciding which ball joints to use there are other considerations.
A couple of different companies make a conversion spindle that will fit the 67-70 ball joints and depending on what centerlink and tie rods you have that might be the way to go but if you have a 71-72 centerlink and tie rods you need to go ahead and change out your ball joints then buy a drop spindle for a 71-72.
Is that as clear as mud?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Xeen

Quote:
my biggest concern is making sure the truck will be able to fit 22s all the way around with no clearance issues., And still retain its drivability.
Just a heads up trying to stuff 22's under the front end of that truck is a nightmare, I would recommend 20's.
Quote:
As for a motor I'm more than likely going to go the LS route over a carbed motor. I really like the things I'm seeing with fuel injection these days.
That is a smart decision and after doing it myself I have some time and headache saving tips for you, I suggest you read my build thread starting at page 8.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Bodied67

Thumbs up Re: Project: A Bodied67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Unfortunately it isn't just as easy as deciding which ball joints to use there are other considerations.
A couple of different companies make a conversion spindle that will fit the 67-70 ball joints and depending on what centerlink and tie rods you have that might be the way to go but if you have a 71-72 centerlink and tie rods you need to go ahead and change out your ball joints then buy a drop spindle for a 71-72.
Is that as clear as mud?
Haha, yes that is clear now, thanks for explaining that to me I appreciate it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Bodied67

UPDATE: heres a little teaser shot, firmly planted

Last edited by Bodied67; 12-08-2013 at 09:41 PM.