The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
HammertimeMN

1951 - 5 Window

Finally got the build underway... Only took 2 years. Plan is to rebuild the chassis with a MII front end and Tri 4 link in the rear. Still cant figure out if i want to put in coil overs or air ride. Any recommendations? Then drop in an engine (383), all new drive train (Tremec 5 speed or 700R4), and a repair floor pans and redo inside of the cab.
Attached Images

HammertimeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: 1951 - 5 Window

Looks like a decent truck to start out with..I'm using coilovers on my truck..personal choice..I don't want to have to deal with the expense and all the compressors and tanks associated with air..mines going to get driven a lot if I ever get done with it..interesting front bumper and grill guard..what is it? Got any pics of it..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
joedoh

looks like amazing condition for your area

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
HammertimeMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Looks like a decent truck to start out with..I'm using coilovers on my truck..personal choice..I don't want to have to deal with the expense and all the compressors and tanks associated with air..mines going to get driven a lot if I ever get done with it..interesting front bumper and grill guard..what is it? Got any pics of it..
Im not sure exactly about the front bumper, Ive never seen one like it before. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them. I thought the same thing about going with coilovers and save the hassle of air ride but I really like the way air ride looks. I guess its really going to come down to how much I want to spend. The debate continues....
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
HammertimeMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
looks like amazing condition for your area
Ya its not as bad as some that I have seen from around here. Took me a couple years of hunting to find one without so much rust. The guy I bought it from said his dad kept in his barn for 20 some years. It has your typical rust spots; floor pans, cab corners, lower cowel and kick panels but outside of that its a good candidate to be resurrected and back on the road . Still haven't gotten it all the way tore down so we shall see if there are any more hidden trouble areas.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
HammertimeMN

Here are the some pictures of the front bumper.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #7
HammertimeMN

Got some more work done this weekend. I was going to take off the axles, however, I read somewhere that you should mark your axle center lines before. My plan is to put in a triangulated 4 link in. Can anyone shed some light on the subject??
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That is a interesting bumper..does it look homemade or what?...you planning on using it.?..
Yes mark the frame where the axle centerline is just for a reference..you may want to move the axle a little to center it in the wheel opening but at least you'll know where it was..most crossmember manufactures will give you a reference point on the frame of where to center it ,,something like.. ( measure 3.125 inches from this hole to this mark)..
on the rear get your axle in place and square..measure measure measure..when you get it right front to back and side to side up and down ..weld some temporary bracing to it to hold it in place and then start installing the 4link..what rear axle are you going go use?
Also I spy a nice lookin chevy ll..
Old 05-31-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammertimeMN View Post
Finally got the build underway... Only took 2 years. Plan is to rebuild the chassis with a MII front end and Tri 4 link in the rear. Still cant figure out if i want to put in coil overs or air ride. Any recommendations? Then drop in an engine (383), all new drive train (Tremec 5 speed or 700R4), and a repair floor pans and redo inside of the cab.
Clean truck, I subscribed to this thread.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
69CST-V

Sub'd, Nice project.

Company Trucks
69CST-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #11
SalvagedSouls

I'll tag along.
1955.1 - 3100 Bare Metal Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691261
1965 - Buick Special & 1965 Buick Skylark
SalvagedSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #12
HammertimeMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That is a interesting bumper..does it look homemade or what?...you planning on using it.?..
Yes mark the frame where the axle centerline is just for a reference..you may want to move the axle a little to center it in the wheel opening but at least you'll know where it was..most crossmember manufactures will give you a reference point on the frame of where to center it ,,something like.. ( measure 3.125 inches from this hole to this mark)..
on the rear get your axle in place and square..measure measure measure..when you get it right front to back and side to side up and down ..weld some temporary bracing to it to hold it in place and then start installing the 4link..what rear axle are you going go use?
Also I spy a nice lookin chevy ll..
No it doesn't look homemade at all. Yes I am planning on using it, just needs to be straighten a little bit. I was thinking about using a 10 bolt out of 79 c10 my dad has rustin away in the trees. I know those axles are 62.7" and stock is 60", what kinda problems can i expect? Would narrowing it be a good option or would that not be very cost effective? Otherwise i was going to go snooping around the local salvage yard for something. I know an 8.8 exploder rear will work but im a pretty stubborn GM guy and only want to use GM parts. What other GM donors should i be looking for that would be a good fit?

Good eye on the Chevy II, that's where my affinity for car building began at the age of 6, following dad around the shop.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

A zr2 rear is a good option if you can find one..comes with 3.73s and g80 locker..hard to find though..keep in mind the zr2 is 3in wider than a standard s10 but matches the ad trucks width close..
Very nice duece...always had a soft spot for those
Old 06-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
semn49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammertimeMN View Post
I was thinking about using a 10 bolt out of 79 c10 my dad has rustin away in the trees. I know those axles are 62.7" and stock is 60", what kinda problems can i expect? Would narrowing it be a good option or would that not be very cost effective? Otherwise i was going to go snooping around the local salvage yard for something. I know an 8.8 exploder rear will work but im a pretty stubborn GM guy and only want to use GM parts. What other GM donors should i be looking for that would be a good fit?
Use the c10 rear, or at least give it a test fit, it's only 2.7 inches wider. 1 3/8" each side, use different backspacing on the rims.
semn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #15
lower50's

Nice truck!! I have air bags and love them, takes a bit to get used to them but now I just hop in and go.
As for the 4-link, get some reference measurements off the frame now while it is together. Then when you go to place the rear end for the 4-link have the frame and axle on jack stands, get it all in position and start tacking your brackets.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote