The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
mpierce9

Rotor or Hub removal help

1975 K5 Blazer, Full time four wheel drive. Full time (auto) hubs. I realize these hubs suck and i should switch to manual hubs. That's for another day. Right now the story is:

ok, I'm cleaning up the brakes on this truck and would love to replace (or turn down) the rotors. I've removed the calipers and replaced those and in an effort to pull off the rotor I started removing the full-time front wheel hub assembly.

I took the cap off, removed the lock ring and used a special tool to remove the first nut inside the hub. I'm at a point with a flat washer that has several holes. There is a groove on the spindle at this point as well. I cannot pull that washer with the holes in it out of position. I cannot located a ring or anything else holding it in place.

Do I even need to remove this stuff to take off my rotor or is my rotor just rusted on and needs some aggressive attention to remove?

Whether I need to or not in order to address the rotor, I would like to understand how to remove the washer located inside my hub that I cannot surpass. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Parts removed from hub

Rotor and hub

Rotor and Hub 2

Washer inside hub that I can't remove. I have a hook tool gripping the washer in this image.

I'm at a loss. any help or direction would be appreciated.
mpierce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
franken

Re: Rotor or Hub removal help

I'm pretty sure that isn't a washer and is threaded on just like the nut you took off. Turn it to the left.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
vidman

One of those holes should have a pin in it. That pin is attatched to the inner nut. There is also a tab on the inside of that washer that will go in the keyway on the spindle. that washer with all the holes should pull right out with some little picks or some small screw drivers. after you get the washer out you will need to remove the last nut, then you can pull the whole assembly off..
Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
mpierce9

Thank you all so much for the information. I was able to resolve this.

That ring as mentioned before has a small tab on the inside that aligns a groove in the spindle. It's important to note that the washer doesn't spin easily. I ended up using a needle tool, inserting it into one of the holes of the washer and lightly tapping it with a hammer to rotate it. Once the washer rotated and the small tab aligned with the groove it almost just fell out.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
vidman

Glad everything is AOK..
Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
eighteenninetytwo

could you post a pic of the washer without all teh grease on it so I can check it out please? I ws going to take of my slugs and fir WARN manual hubs this weekend and I'm sort of nervous because I've never done anythign like this before. If i screw up I can't drive the thing to teh shop to get someone else to fix it and a tow truck isn't getting at my truck where it is.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
mpierce9

This is the best picture I have. I've already reassembled everything. To be honest this wasn't very difficult. I had previously read some bad information regarding the washer. I was a little timid about messing with it in fear of damaging it. I read that it didn't rotate, which it easily did.

You can actually see the spindle key groove in this image it is on the spindle at about the 9-10 o'clock position. If you need me to I'll highlight it in this picture.

The steps are very simple.
  • Step 1 remove the chrome cap
  • Step 2 remove the snap ring
  • Step 3 pull out the gear and spring
    I had to work on these just a sec due to the suction/vacuum all the grease caused
  • Step 4 using the special tool remove the first spindle/axel nut
    I got the tool at auto zone for $17.00. They had two different tools 1 tool had 6 "teeth" the other had 4 "teeth" I needed the one with four "teeth"
  • Step 5 wipe out the grease from inside the hub
    you should now see the keyhole groove on the spindle and a washer around the spindle
  • Step 6 position the washer so the tooth in aligned with the groove
    I did this using a needle point tool and a hammer and very very lightly tapped the washer around until it aligned the groove. It's hard to see the little tooth on the washer because it's on the inside of it. But once in the correct position it may kind of pop out. Either way if aligned with the groove in the spindle you should at that point see the small tooth on the inside circumference of the washer.
  • Step 7 pull the washer out
  • Step 8 remove the next spindle nut with the special tool.
  • Step 9 the entire hub will almost fall off the car so watch your toes
Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce9 View Post
This is the best picture I have. I've already reassembled everything. To be honest this wasn't very difficult. I had previously read some bad information regarding the washer. I was a little timid about messing with it in fear of damaging it. I read that it didn't rotate, which it easily did.

You can actually see the spindle key groove in this image it is on the spindle at about the 9-10 o'clock position. If you need me to I'll highlight it in this picture.

The steps are very simple.
  • Step 1 remove the chrome cap
  • Step 2 remove the snap ring
  • Step 3 pull out the gear and spring
    I had to work on these just a sec due to the suction/vacuum all the grease caused
  • Step 4 using the special tool remove the first spindle/axel nut
    I got the tool at auto zone for $17.00. They had two different tools 1 tool had 6 "teeth" the other had 4 "teeth" I needed the one with four "teeth"
  • Step 5 wipe out the grease from inside the hub
    you should now see the keyhole groove on the spindle and a washer around the spindle
  • Step 6 position the washer so the tooth in aligned with the groove
    I did this using a needle point tool and a hammer and very very lightly tapped the washer around until it aligned the groove. It's hard to see the little tooth on the washer because it's on the inside of it. But once in the correct position it may kind of pop out. Either way if aligned with the groove in the spindle you should at that point see the small tooth on the inside circumference of the washer.
  • Step 7 pull the washer out
  • Step 8 remove the next spindle nut with the special tool.
  • Step 9 the entire hub will almost fall off the car so watch your toes
I haven't done this job since 1998 and could not remember. Still have the tool, though. Thanks for the well-written how to.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote