The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
js0k

Bellhousing area tick that follows RPM

Howdy fellas, I've been a long-time lurker on here and have always been able to solve problems thanks to a search or my service manual, but this noise started recently and I'm getting antsy.

I just finished rebuilding the 292 that came in my 1969 C10 (for a little moar powa). I successfully installed it in my truck, broke in the cam, and drove it around the block. When I fixed the massive exhaust leak and quieted it down, I noticed a ticking noise. At first I was worried that it was valvetrain related, but a listen with a broomstick pointed to the bellhousing area (noise was very pronounced when broomstick was on the front dust cover). The ticking sound follows the speed of the engine,and occurs in all gears whether or not the clutch is depressed. Below is a link to a video of the noise in question.

https://youtu.be/bUwlNMFyYY0

Sure enough, after I removed the trans, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and clutch fork (front dust cover, starter, flywheel, bellhousing still on) the sound completely disappeared. The below vid is far away from the bellhousing area, but the noise is nowhere to be found nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/1pAsM7I6EVU

Has anyone encountered this ticking sound before?? It's a 3 speed saginaw with a new pilot bushing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing all from a rockauto kit. Bad or backwards throwout bearing??

I didn't use blue loctite when installing the flywheel or pressure plate. The fw bolts aren't loose (figured 110ft lbs didn't need loctite), the pressure plate bolts didn't feel loose either.

Tomorrow I will inspect all of the parts and bolt heads between the engine and the trans for unusual wear/places they could have been making contact, but for now I'm at a bit of a loss

Any input would be appreciated, I just wanna drive this thing!!
js0k is offline   Reply With Quote