The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #2851
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Ok, this is getting tiring. I DID hold the iPhone straight and down. I'll (try) fix it here:

EDIT: Ah crap. The software insists on rotating the photo 90* left. I edited the photo and rotated it 90* right so that when the software forceed it left, it would appear upright. No dice. Sorry, you'll just have to tilt your head if you care enough to, ha ha

I bought some stainless-appearing vinyl I will put on 1/8" plywood and use as a backsplash. It's ea=ither a brilliant idea or a totally stupid one! I'll seal the edge adjoining the counter with gray silicone caulk. Lots more details but this is a truck forum so I'm pushing it already.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-16-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #2852
57tailgater

Test.
Attached Images

57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #2853
Dan in Pasadena

Well, that worked....whatever you did. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #2854
NorCalGal

When I take a picture with my iPad the home button needs to be to the right for my pic to be clocked right on here.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:42 AM   #2855
57tailgater

I just copied the picture, pasted it in powerpoint, rotated it to the "correct" orientation and then saved it as an image. A little bit of a long way around the barn it seems but it doesn't take too long to do. Glad to help.

On iphones I have found pictures every so often get oriented different than what we like. I double check them by opening them up outside of the camera function by looking at your photos. You will see how it was oriented while it was taken. If it is not how you like, you can edit it and rotate it then save. You should be go to go then.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #2856
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks tailgater. I do check the orientation and correct it. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I have a bad case of lame-old-dude-itis and so can't seem to figure it out. Much appreciated!

Just for those who continue to be interested in this thread, I'll post that I trimmed out the pegboard to finish it and I installed the Race Deck (actually True Lock HD, sold under a different name for a cheaper price but comes in Rack Deck boxes). Then spent another day on the table saw cutting tile for around the edges maintaining 1/2" Clarence from the walls to allow for dimensional changes due to temperature over the summer. I'll install black vinyl coving and some white baseboard, where applicable, this week.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #2857
57tailgater

Here ya go.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #2858
G&R's57GMC

Loooking goood !
I see you went with the drain through flooring, good choice.
The garage is coming along nicely. What’s next ?
How’s the puppy?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:56 AM   #2859
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Glen.
Joey? He's 11-1/2 now so no pup anymore, but still doing great. I'd always had big dogs before and at this age they were nearing their end. Not joey!

Out of town for the weekend at my step son's house but all's well.

Have a bit of quandary one how to finish floor edge. 1/2" perimeter gap required to allow for thermal expansion. Was just going to use black vinyl cove but it's too tall. 4" and stem wall is only about 3+". Stem is very rough so trimming it along top edge with a razor as originally planned would look sloppy. Thinking I'll pre paint some quarter round and stick it on stem with construction adhesive/black caulk any gap.

Put some tools up on pegboard but I'm not happy with it. Needs re-arranging to look right. Too much stuff up there right now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-27-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #2860
G&R's57GMC

Now there’s an opportunity to add a bit of pizazz to the edge trim , red half round between the black cove and the white trim that would look sharp even if there was a small gap above and below the red half round .

The tool board should have a theme like wood working tools or mechanics tools . Also a great place for a sign or clock up high .

You buddy will always be a puppy and you know that even if you won’t admit it .
Old 06-30-2020, 11:38 AM   #2861
57tailgater

Smile Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Any more of these and I'm going to have to charge you for some of your leftover parts! Ha! Ha! Just kidding and lookin' good!
Attached Images

Last edited by 57tailgater; 07-01-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #2862
dsraven

something I have found useful on pegboard is to cut off the top of a plastic 1 litre/quart oil jug, poke a couple of holes in it for those j shaped pegboard hooks and hang it on the board for a quick access spot for stuff like scrapers or scissors, stuff that has to be lined up on a hook but the hole in the handle is the same size as the hook, or stuff that just doesn't have a hole for a hook, or markers pens etc. an upside down container is a great spot for coolant testers since you can take the upside down lid off for draining after it is taken off the pegboard. scissors seem to inevitably open themselves if hung in a single hook. a short length of thin wall pvc pipe, like residential vacuflo pipe, is great to hang from a hook at the top and use a cable tie through the pegboard holes to secure it at the bottom. for stuff with long handles. problem is they need to be close to the bottom of the board and have nothing above them so you can get the contents out.
shop is looking good.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:32 AM   #2863
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks dsraven,

I'm weird when it comes to pegboard. I like a little of it and I like it neatly organized for just the stuff I use most often. Some guys seem to want to hang everything they own on it and hang the stuff every which way - which would drive me crazy. On the other hand, some guys hang very few things on it just for the look of it.

The thing is, I can only tell if I like the arrangement once I take a picture and live with it awhile. I know I'm going to re-arrange what I've got up there. I'm just busy doing other stuff around the new house right now so I haven't gone back to the pegboard yet.

Also for that reason I haven't yet used the "keepers" I bought to hold the hooks. I'll do that once I'm pretty sure I have it how I want it long term.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:35 AM   #2864
Dan in Pasadena

PS: Thanks to 57tailgater for the technical support.

Funny you made a comment about leftover parts. I actually have some and I will soon be looking to get rid of all of it. I know I'm not suppose to solicit sales in these threads and I haven't even taken inventory but I will soon. Drop me a PM if you're looking for anything, I MAY have something you're looking for.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #2865
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Glen! Haven't been back here in awhile but wanted to thank you for your suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Now there’s an opportunity to add a bit of pizazz to the edge trim, red half round between the black cove and the white trim that would look sharp even if there was a small gap above and below the red half round.
I like this suggestion. It would probably only show on the back wall but that's the garage wall that will be seen the most anyway! I'll keep it in mind when I set. up my new workbench, possibly I the next few days.

Quote:
The tool board should have a theme like wood working tools or mechanics tools.
Totally agree. So far it's been a catch-all because the house's old owner left the pegboard. I added to it and decided to paint it red but once everything is sorted out it will most likely be my general household tools, i.e. woodworking though I admit I am a hack when it comes to wood work.

Quote:
Also a great place for a sign or clock up high.
I bought an Amazon atomic digital clock w/temperature & humidity for the garage. I have a lot of metal signs - too many to use actually. One is a large Coca Cola sign partially in Spanish I got at a yard sale and had to hammer straight-ish. It's a bit wrinkled and beat up but hell so am I So I guess I've got "patina" too!

Quote:
Your buddy will always be a puppy and you know that even if you won’t admit it.
Oh Joey still acts pretty young most of the time. He occasionally still gets the "zoomies" I call them and runs around like a crazy little dog. I never thought I'd be the stereotypical old guy with little dog much less a poodle. But he's super loyal and with me every minute since I retired.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #2866
Black_Sheep

Looks great Dan!
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #2867
G&R's57GMC

Hay Dan , Thanks .

Now go play with Joey , Tell him he's a good boy !
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #2868
Dan in Pasadena

Been very delayed completing my garage because we FINALLY........got the permit for the patio room we're adding to the back of the house. Demo went on for a week, lumber arrived Tuesday and included but unrelated concrete will be placed tomorrow.

As part of this room build we had the contractor demo the side yard walls which included an enclosed trash area. This will be for RV and boat storage. 30A service outlet added to side wall to connect RV during storage. Turned out the slab in that area was higher than the rest so it had to come out too and the whole area be paved so it will be flat. Two 10 ft PVC gates and a 40 inch pedestrian gate will replace the walls.

Anyway, while all that has been going on I've had no time to do much of anything in the garage and my '55 has gotten badly dusty. I'm waiting til all the demo work is done before cleaning her up.

Pics added just to show the scope of work.

BEFORE picture. You can see the three piers installed when the house was remodeled 5 years ago but prior owner never finished the work. I wanted to complete what the architect originally had in mind for the house since I like everything else he designed so well.

Demo'ed eave area. Most of tile roof will be removed Monday when they start framing the addition:

BEFORE of side walls and trash area:

Now, before concrete tomorrow. Driveway also being widened 4 ft. on both sides.

Old 11-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #2869
Dan in Pasadena

Old 11-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #2870
G&R's57GMC

Hi Buddy ... oh and Dan

Looking Great .

Is that going to get a roof or just open beams ?

Are you going to fill the open spaces in the concrete with brick , stone or fake grass ?

BTW Buddy you look great , keep an eye on Dan you know how he gets .
Old 11-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #2871
idbeast

Looking good Dan!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:05 AM   #2872
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks guys and hi Glen!

The strip in front of the original driveway and now widened areas will get new used brick (yeah, that's a weird thing to type). The individual slabs mirror the front walk (I think they're not visible in these photos) and do NOT get brick, though I like the idea! The walk just has dirt fill with shredded mulch.

Yes, there will be a full tile roof like the rest of the house and no walls. The existing exterior wall of the house will be extended upward to the ridge. There will be a tv mounted on it for Dodgers games, of course! Otherwise the room will be open on all sides - this is SoCal, remember - no weather. Sunny and hot, OR sunny and cool is about all. We are wiring the overhead for exterior heaters but have opted not to install them at this time. They're VERY pricey and we're not yet sure how much we will use it in "winter". PS: Sorry about the size of the photo.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #2873
G&R's57GMC

Hay Dan

Looks good plan sounds good

GO Dodgers!

Hi Buddy hope you’re enjoying your new digs .
Who’s a good boy? Buddy is a good boy !
Old 11-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #2874
Dan in Pasadena

The tongue & groove is on one side with OSB on top for the roofing. The other side goes on tomorrow. Electrical conduit will be run above to hide it from below and of course will be under the tile roof.

Brick ribbon on driveway is in and brick for gate columns was all cut today, will be laid tomorrow.

I actually took my '55 out the other day, washed her and drive her around. Got a number of thumbs up. Especially by a teenage kid when I jumped on her from a stoplight. She sounds pretty mean winding up through the gears. Fun.

EDIT: DAMN software!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2020, 11:27 PM   #2875
G&R's57GMC

Looking good .

What exhaust system did you use , mufflers ?