The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #51
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Search for a 1949 is over Let the FUN begin...

beautiful deuce..!!!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #52
joedoh

love the chevy II!

you could try to find an ext cab, they are usually cheaper and I like using them more than long beds because: once you shorten the frame the wheelbase is exact and the bed to cab gap is smaller, and the s10 reg cab bed floor is only about 3 inches shorter than the AD shortbed so if you use the steel floor and tubs you can get all 8 bed bolts in, and you dont have to completely remove the rear cabb mount/front bed mount on an ext cab frame, just cut the cab mount piece off and box it back.

if you dont want to shorten the fame thats understandable, you can use offset pin plates on the springs to move the axle up a little

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #53
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
love the chevy II!

you could try to find an ext cab, they are usually cheaper and I like using them more than long beds because: once you shorten the frame the wheelbase is exact and the bed to cab gap is smaller, and the s10 reg cab bed floor is only about 3 inches shorter than the AD shortbed so if you use the steel floor and tubs you can get all 8 bed bolts in, and you dont have to completely remove the rear cabb mount/front bed mount on an ext cab frame, just cut the cab mount piece off and box it back.

if you dont want to shorten the fame thats understandable, you can use offset pin plates on the springs to move the axle up a little
Never thought of this idea, thanks.

Guess I thought it was going to be easy to find a relatively "Rust Free" longbed donor here in the northeast.

Henry keeps scarfing up all the Pennsylvania trucks, LOL.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #54
R&B51

I’ll throw a monkey wrench in the discussion. I do not even know if what I am doing is going to work but thought you might want to hear about it it is another option. I bought a rolling chassis from Cleveland power and performance. 5K miles older C6 Corvette the body was totaled and they pulled the full rolling chassis out for about $6K. Video of it running before I bought it and they were great through the process. I just paid to have a guy deliver it for about a grand. It is a torque tube which is ironic with these old trucks. Came with everything including computers pedal assemblies steering wheel steering column the works. It is a super wide hub to hub but sitting there with tires on it will just barely fit inside the fenders on the front and a little more room on the back using corvette rims. I will probably have some Rims custom-made and get taller tires for wide whites and I think it will still fit. Will have to have Driveshaft lengthened about 10 or 11 inches and they sent extra aluminum torque tube to weld in when I get there. Bought 51 3100 that was solid. Took it all down blasted and now in heavy epoxy primer. No dents just a little rust to cut out and replace.
Here’s the big kicker. I bought four adapter plates that connect to original suspension and have a L-shaped trough to lay frame tube in from ( search a company that starts with a D and rhymes with Gobbertin). Just got those last month. They are super heavy aluminum perfectly engineered to pick up every suspension point and cross cradle attachment point to keep suspension in perfect alignment and allow custom frame rails to be laid into the adapters. Hopefully simple enough that even I can do it. I’m going to bolt those aluminum corners in this week and see how it sits. Using measurements off of a friends truck, I will design the frame rails front to back and have a local company bend them for me. I will bolt them in and plan to fabricate and bolt the body onto brackets connected to that frame. Already has huge crossmembers with front the cradle -allows the engine to sit right on it. In the rear, the independent suspension bolts to the crossmember and the frame. I can add an X frame support in the middle if I think it needs it.
Won’t know if it’s going to work until I get done. Had some delays for a year building a shop and some family illness. I continually cruise this site listening to all the wisdom and I appreciate so much all you guys have to say. Once I get this thing rolling a little bit further I have been taking pictures and I’ll try to figure out how to put them on based on all the advice you guys give. If it works, Should drive and perform like a Corvette and be about 500+ pounds lighter! A lot of the positives of JoeDoh and the S 10 swap since everything underneath and inside the truck will just be a C6 Corvette. 400 horse 400 foot pound and lighter than the Corvette out to drive nice?!
R&B51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #55
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B51 View Post
I’ll throw a monkey wrench in the discussion. I do not even know if what I am doing is going to work but thought you might want to hear about it it is another option. I bought a rolling chassis from Cleveland power and performance. 5K miles older C6 Corvette the body was totaled and they pulled the full rolling chassis out for about $6K. Video of it running before I bought it and they were great through the process. I just paid to have a guy deliver it for about a grand. It is a torque tube which is ironic with these old trucks. Came with everything including computers pedal assemblies steering wheel steering column the works. It is a super wide hub to hub but sitting there with tires on it will just barely fit inside the fenders on the front and a little more room on the back using corvette rims. I will probably have some Rims custom-made and get taller tires for wide whites and I think it will still fit. Will have to have Driveshaft lengthened about 10 or 11 inches and they sent extra aluminum torque tube to weld in when I get there. Bought 51 3100 that was solid. Took it all down blasted and now in heavy epoxy primer. No dents just a little rust to cut out and replace.
Here’s the big kicker. I bought four adapter plates that connect to original suspension and have a L-shaped trough to lay frame tube in from ( search a company that starts with a D and rhymes with Gobbertin). Just got those last month. They are super heavy aluminum perfectly engineered to pick up every suspension point and cross cradle attachment point to keep suspension in perfect alignment and allow custom frame rails to be laid into the adapters. Hopefully simple enough that even I can do it. I’m going to bolt those aluminum corners in this week and see how it sits. Using measurements off of a friends truck, I will design the frame rails front to back and have a local company bend them for me. I will bolt them in and plan to fabricate and bolt the body onto brackets connected to that frame. Already has huge crossmembers with front the cradle -allows the engine to sit right on it. In the rear, the independent suspension bolts to the crossmember and the frame. I can add an X frame support in the middle if I think it needs it.
Won’t know if it’s going to work until I get done. Had some delays for a year building a shop and some family illness. I continually cruise this site listening to all the wisdom and I appreciate so much all you guys have to say. Once I get this thing rolling a little bit further I have been taking pictures and I’ll try to figure out how to put them on based on all the advice you guys give. If it works, Should drive and perform like a Corvette and be about 500+ pounds lighter! A lot of the positives of JoeDoh and the S 10 swap since everything underneath and inside the truck will just be a C6 Corvette. 400 horse 400 foot pound and lighter than the Corvette out to drive nice?!
Sounds fascinating, Can't wait to see a build thread. Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #56
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
beautiful deuce..!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
love the chevy II!
OK, one more Chevy ll pic and I promise to stay on topic with my truck.

Name:  close up.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  28.9 KB
Old 07-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #57
28TudorAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
OK, one more Chevy ll pic and I promise to stay on topic with my truck.

Attachment 2032139
Gorgeous!!! Any update on the truck? I think S10's in general have gotten more expensive with all other cars!!!! May not be as cost effective as a few years ago.

Project "LS Scout" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=844133
28TudorAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #58
slammed57

OHHHH i love chevy II's