The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #276
Root2812

Re: Greg's 50 Build

Oh boy, I wish I had done this years ago. I let things get in the way of this project and then I lost interest for a while. I have been getting a lot done the last 2 months and am really close to running my engine! I bought a new harness from PSI that arrived today so I need to install that. Other than that I need to finish my fuel lines, radiator and hoses, and a few other odds and ends. My goal is now to have it run by July 19th because that's the 6 year anniversary of the day I last drove the truck and blew the motor.

I got the borgeson power steering pressure reducer kit to install so the pump is off but it looks so good I am getting really excited. This engine is huge! Space is tight. I will have to modify both inner fenders but there is lots of room to wheels at full turn. I also have just barely enough space for steering linkage but it will work.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2020, 04:49 PM   #277
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
Oh boy, I wish I had done this years ago. I let things get in the way of this project and then I lost interest for a while. I have been getting a lot done the last 2 months and am really close to running my engine! I bought a new harness from PSI that arrived today so I need to install that. Other than that I need to finish my fuel lines, radiator and hoses, and a few other odds and ends. My goal is now to have it run by July 19th because that's the 6 year anniversary of the day I last drove the truck and blew the motor.

I got the borgeson power steering pressure reducer kit to install so the pump is off but it looks so good I am getting really excited. This engine is huge! Space is tight. I will have to modify both inner fenders but there is lots of room to wheels at full turn. I also have just barely enough space for steering linkage but it will work.
Looks good. I too am running a MII rack with a Type 2 GM pump. I could never find a clear answer if a reducer was needed or not.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #278
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Looks good. I too am running a MII rack with a Type 2 GM pump. I could never find a clear answer if a reducer was needed or not.

Marc
I heard of some using it and some not. It was less than $20 so I decided to buy one.

Since you had the GM type 2 pump and the ford rack, what fluid did you go with. The GM pump says power steering fluid but my
96-98 mustang rack says mercon ATF. I saw the 79-93 rack called for type F ATF.

Oh and BTW, your truck has been an inspiration for me. A long while back you helped me in PM with some exhaust questions because I want my exhaust to be though the running board like yours. I had to pull the exhaust for now but I did buy the flex joints you talked about and put them before my x pipe. Then I have a set of hangers at each Borla muffler. I will probably put in a much smaller flex at the hard mounted tip so the exhaust can move and the tip stay put. I figure this way I have more flex and room for expansion by the down pipes and then a little room for movement further back. As soon as I get it all reinstalled I will share a photo.

Last edited by Root2812; 06-22-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #279
youngrodder

Quote:
I heard of some using it and some not. It was less than $20 so I decided to buy one.

Since you had the GM type 2 pump and the ford rack, what fluid did you go with. The GM pump says power steering fluid but my
96-98 mustang rack says mercon ATF. I saw the 79-93 rack called for type F ATF.

Oh and BTW, your truck has been an inspiration for me. A long while back you helped me in PM with some exhaust questions because I want my exhaust to be though the running board like yours. I had to pull the exhaust for now but I did buy the flex joints you talked about and put them before my x pipe. Then I have a set of hangers at each Borla muffler. I will probably put in a much smaller flex at the hard mounted tip so the exhaust can move and the tip stay put. I figure this way I have more flex and room for expansion by the down pipes and then a little room for movement further back. As soon as I get it all reinstalled I will share a photo.
Good question about the power steering fluid. I have not gotten that far yet.. I will pick the brains of my friends that have a hot rod shop. I know they have build cars with MII racks and Type 2 pumps.

Marc

Old 06-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #280
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Nice looking goat..!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #281
Tempest67

gotta love those Ponchos
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #282
Atommik

Hey Greg, good to see you back at it. I rarely post any more since my truck is basically done and I drive it when ever the weather allows! Always tinkering though...added a fulton visor and built a center console over the winter.
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:12 AM   #283
Root2812

Quote:
Good question about the power steering fluid. I have not gotten that far yet.. I will pick the brains of my friends that have a hot rod shop. I know they have build cars with MII racks and Type 2 pumps.

Marc
Thanks for asking them. I am hopefully going to get to fire my engine in the next few weeks and I want to make sure everything is filled up and ready to go when I do. I am looking forward to hearing what they say.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:18 AM   #284
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Nice looking goat..!
Thank you. We are really proud of it and my dad is very happy. Its not perfect but its a fun driver. The interior is a mix of old and new stuff but one part at a time its getting refreshed. We had no engine to start with but we found a not so nice 73 Grand Prix that had a nice running Pontiac 400 and turbo 400 trans and picked the car up for $1500. That made good value for an engine donor and helped move progress along faster. Its got a highway gear rear end so its not a rocket off the launch but its a great cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
gotta love those Ponchos
Nice looking car! I like that gold color. We went with the victory red off of my dads 2015 Silverado. It fit the car well.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:20 AM   #285
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
Hey Greg, good to see you back at it. I rarely post any more since my truck is basically done and I drive it when ever the weather allows! Always tinkering though...added a fulton visor and built a center console over the winter.
Good to hear from you. Its been a few years since we bumped into each other now. I am glad to hear you are still enjoying your truck. I hadn't posted on here in a long time too but since I got fired up for this project again I have been asking questions left and right.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 PM   #286
caja_larga

On the gm power steering pump to the m2 rack I used all the spacers to get the pressure reduced on my 39 ford build. It tightened up the steering and drove very nice.
caja_larga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:33 PM   #287
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by caja_larga View Post
On the gm power steering pump to the m2 rack I used all the spacers to get the pressure reduced on my 39 ford build. It tightened up the steering and drove very nice.
I ended up using the recommended amount of shims in the instructions. I saved the rest incase I need to add more later.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #288
youngrodder

Quote:
I ended up using the recommended amount of shims in the instructions. I saved the rest incase I need to add more later.
I just bought the Borgeson pressure reducer shim kit. Was the installation pretty straightforward?

Marc

Old 07-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #289
Root2812

Quote:
I just bought the Borgeson pressure reducer shim kit. Was the installation pretty straightforward?

Marc
Yes very easy and straight forward. Instructions are one tiny page and black and white so they kinda suck but the job is so easy they are good enough. I ran into two minor issues. The first was that the 98 corvette pump I am using is set up in such a way I had to remove the pulley to get to the valve. That meant an extra trip to Orielly's to get a loaner tool. Had I used the truck pump I probably wouldn't have had to do that. Once the pulley was off I had to use an impact to get the valve out. A socket and ratchet just couldn't do it.

After that it was really easy. The second thing that worried me was that when I took the valve apart there was a.... well I don't know. It was either a really thin and misshapen washer or the remains of some kind of thread sealer. I honestly couldn't tell but it fell apart when I tried to remove it to place the shims. I guess I will see if everything works when I finally get to driving. Reassembly was easy too.

I forget the exact number of shims I used but I googled what PSI the mustang rack likes and then used the number of shims the instructions said to use to get that pressure. They have a chart.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #290
youngrodder

Quote:
Yes very easy and straight forward. Instructions are one tiny page and black and white so they kinda suck but the job is so easy they are good enough. I ran into two minor issues. The first was that the 98 corvette pump I am using is set up in such a way I had to remove the pulley to get to the valve. That meant an extra trip to Orielly's to get a loaner tool. Had I used the truck pump I probably wouldn't have had to do that. Once the pulley was off I had to use an impact to get the valve out. A socket and ratchet just couldn't do it.

After that it was really easy. The second thing that worried me was that when I took the valve apart there was a.... well I don't know. It was either a really thin and misshapen washer or the remains of some kind of thread sealer. I honestly couldn't tell but it fell apart when I tried to remove it to place the shims. I guess I will see if everything works when I finally get to driving. Reassembly was easy too.

I forget the exact number of shims I used but I googled what PSI the mustang rack likes and then used the number of shims the instructions said to use to get that pressure. They have a chart.
OK thank you. I'm sure I will have to pull my pump back off too but I have not looked at it close enough though...

Marc

Old 08-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #291
Root2812

I’m getting closer. I have some loose ends to tie up still but the main things are getting done. I still need to move the motor back a 1/4 inch and set all my pinion angles. Then I’ll put in a new trans filter, install the exhaust, install aluminum radiator (Old for mock up to avoid accidental damage), make hoses, and fill the fluids. Having built the motor too I am really nervous and excited to hear it run.

I managed to avoid any firewall mods by getting the engine low and using the corvette accessory drive to keep the engine forward. I’ll have to modify the inner fender but that’s ok. I’ll just keep chipping away and soon it will run and I can start building the rest of the truck!

Also, I found a cool assembly line mark. It’s a cursive G which also happens to be my first initial. No idea what it was meant for but they did it before paint so it survived. I think it’s cool.

Edit: sorry the pictures are sideways. They’re not sideways on my phone and this is my first mobile post.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #292
joedoh

really nice work!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #293
youngrodder

Nice progress....Your getting there..