The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Desert1957

Search for a 1949 is over Let the FUN begin...

After much searching, I located and purchased a solid IMO , and complete 1949 3100 shortbed. Truck came form Missouri, built in Flint Michigan.

Spent all its life working hard on a farm, sitting since the 80's not sure if inside or not.

I have gained so much knowledge from this forum on every Chevy I owned.

Looking forward to everyone's input on this build (Good or Bad)

Here are some pics after the ride home.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  41.6 KB
Name:  1949 Chevy 014.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  26.6 KB
Name:  18121286_10211679873019601_7978682199130881895_o.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  40.7 KB
Name:  1949 Chevy 021.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  49.1 KB
Name:  1949 Chevy 016.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  107.1 KB

Last edited by Desert1957; 05-29-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Search for a 1949 is over Let the FUN begin...

Looks like a good truck...what is the plan for it..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Looks like a good truck...what is the plan for it..
Making a list now comparing IFS and new rear suspension upgrades.
Not sure if I want to go the S10 route , maybe.
Like to end up with a "patina" style driver, lowered but not super slammed.
Definitely V8 upgrade of some kind. I have a fresh 327 and 400 Turbo.

Maybe this...
Name:  mike walker FB.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  93.9 KB

Have to finish my Outlaw 34 before I start.

Last edited by Desert1957; 05-29-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Desert1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Daze57

^ that would look great if you decide to go that route ! both are good looking trucks sir
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Ohyeah..^^^^^^^....that looks good....and your patina is almost the same as that truck..
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
SalvagedSouls

Congratulations on the find! Looks like a great truck.

Subscribed.
1955.1 - 3100 Bare Metal Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691261
1965 - Buick Special & 1965 Buick Skylark
SalvagedSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
Desert1957

Any advise on the drive train? Not sure if its worth the hassle of trying to sell it, trying to avoid stuff cluttering up the garage during tear-down.
Its not locked up, but who knows what the internals are like.

Original parts off these trucks I guess are rare in some circles.

Also, what have you guys discovered is the best first step?
Clean it all first, before any tear down?
If so anyone have advise on what process?
Iv'e heard mention of using CLR and a power washer.
Would love to see before and after pics using this method?
Should you scotch brite pad the rough stuff?

Thanks in advanced, some of my questions may seem stupid. I am trying to avoid wasting good shop time.
Name:  1949 Chevy 020.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  47.1 KB
Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Sad thing is there's not much demand for used parts..seems as though everyone upgrades their suspension..craigslist is full of the old stuff around here..
I would give it a good washing just to get the dirt and grime of it but I've never tried to save patina...might google (saving patina) might turn up something...but there's a bunch on here that have done it as well..
Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

preserving patina paint ..on utube turned up a bunch of info
Old 05-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Flysocal

I was able to sell my old suspension and rear end on Craigslist for just a little more than scrap. In fact it took the better part of a year to clear out the old stuff I didn't need. But in the meantime I was sourcing stuff I did need and enjoyed the hunt. I am a solid believer in running a patina over modern suspension and drivetrain. You will get a modern driver "sleeper" and won't loose the utility of a truck. No concern for door dings. You don't want to know what a quality paint job costs these days.....The amount of labor that goes into making these trucks straight is going to cost you either stacks of cash or all your spare time.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Desert1957

Quote:
Sad thing is there's not much demand for used parts..seems as though everyone upgrades their suspension..craigslist is full of the old stuff around here..
I would give it a good washing just to get the dirt and grime of it but I've never tried to save patina...might google (saving patina) might turn up something...but there's a bunch on here that have done it as well..
Ok, so no CLR?

Quote:
preserving patina paint ..on utube turned up a bunch of info
Good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
I was able to sell my old suspension and rear end on Craigslist for just a little more than scrap. In fact it took the better part of a year to clear out the old stuff I didn't need. But in the meantime I was sourcing stuff I did need and enjoyed the hunt. I am a solid believer in running a patina over modern suspension and drivetrain. You will get a modern driver "sleeper" and won't loose the utility of a truck. No concern for door dings. You don't want to know what a quality paint job costs these days.....The amount of labor that goes into making these trucks straight is going to cost you either stacks of cash or all your spare time.
Thanks, This is the info I'm looking for.

Still debating the S10 swap after reading "the Sarge's" build thread. My thoughts about the S10 is, I can totally do the frame, suspension, engine and drive train while keeping the donor completely together in case of needing to move it around.
This was the appeal of having an AD truck for me, Not worrying about door dings,bad weather,etc. Plus I love the body style.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
My thoughts about the S10 is, I can totally do the frame, suspension, engine and drive train while keeping the donor completely together in case of needing to move it around.

a very good point and one that I logged in to make until I saw your post.

my advice is to keep the AD in as big of chunks as you can. the front clip can be taken off in one piece and isnt that hard to move around by yourself, especially if you put it in a wheelbarrow. there is no need to break it into smaller pieces, you can work it and install it as the larger chunk easily. or for another example, you can keep the fenders on the bed by flipping it over, taking them off is just one more reassembly step. taking doors off means you have to get them lined back up. if you keep it as a front clip, cab, and bed, the only other parts you end up with are the hood (has to come off only because the cab wont balance on a cherry picker with it installed) the running boards and the bumpers. build simple wooden carts to roll the big stuff around.

for deciding on your plan, I have posted this before and it can help decide between various suspension types:

what is your...

1. space? Do you have room to have one or two or even three trucks completely taken apart and still have room to work? garage or driveway?

2. tools? Do you have a welder? a torch? a grinder?

3. skill? have you ever welded? wired a vehicle from scratch? replaced every part of every system on a vehicle?

4. punchlist? LS/LQ/LM swap? Air conditioning? Interior? see #3, can you do all of this yourself (no lying, if you havent done it and you think you can that can be the kind of hubris that makes a lot of these projects get sold on craigslist as a pile of parts)

5. timeframe? drive in a year? two years? next month?

6. budget? this is a big one. take a piece of paper and write down everything you think you will buy, then write down what you think it will cost. add it up. double it. double it again. do you have that much?

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
gigamanx

I was in your position just 6 months ago with a trailered 3100 and some spare time. Chose to go the S10 route and my build is a few steps ahead of you at the moment. There are a few good builds going on with pictures, but JoeDoh's advice has been on point throughout the experience. I kept my bed together, took doors off cab just so I could get the cherry picker to pick up the cab. So far with my list of to-do's for the S10, I think I would have put as much work and fabrication time into IFS and the stock frame.

I was able to sell the rolling chassis of the 3100 on craigslist to a guy looking to do an original restoration. I used the money to turn around and buy a fully working S10 long bed.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
a very good point and one that I logged in to make until I saw your post.

my advice is to keep the AD in as big of chunks as you can. the front clip can be taken off in one piece and isnt that hard to move around by yourself, especially if you put it in a wheelbarrow. there is no need to break it into smaller pieces, you can work it and install it as the larger chunk easily. or for another example, you can keep the fenders on the bed by flipping it over, taking them off is just one more reassembly step. taking doors off means you have to get them lined back up. if you keep it as a front clip, cab, and bed, the only other parts you end up with are the hood (has to come off only because the cab wont balance on a cherry picker with it installed) the running boards and the bumpers. build simple wooden carts to roll the big stuff around.

for deciding on your plan, I have posted this before and it can help decide between various suspension types:

what is your...

1. space? Do you have room to have one or two or even three trucks completely taken apart and still have room to work? garage or driveway?

2. tools? Do you have a welder? a torch? a grinder?

3. skill? have you ever welded? wired a vehicle from scratch? replaced every part of every system on a vehicle?

4. punchlist? LS/LQ/LM swap? Air conditioning? Interior? see #3, can you do all of this yourself (no lying, if you havent done it and you think you can that can be the kind of hubris that makes a lot of these projects get sold on craigslist as a pile of parts)

5. timeframe? drive in a year? two years? next month?

6. budget? this is a big one. take a piece of paper and write down everything you think you will buy, then write down what you think it will cost. add it up. double it. double it again. do you have that much?
Thanks Joedoh. You are one of the member on this forum(along with many others) who has motivated me to start this project.

Finish up my 34 Ford Coupe now. Built from a bare frame.
Lucky for me I have the garage space, tools, welding ability , time (soon to be retired) and Motivation.
Most of the skills you mentioned were needed for this 34 project.
Here is a pic of my 34.
Name:  PB170328.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #15
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
I was in your position just 6 months ago with a trailered 3100 and some spare time. Chose to go the S10 route and my build is a few steps ahead of you at the moment. There are a few good builds going on with pictures, but JoeDoh's advice has been on point throughout the experience. I kept my bed together, took doors off cab just so I could get the cherry picker to pick up the cab. So far with my list of to-do's for the S10, I think I would have put as much work and fabrication time into IFS and the stock frame.

I was able to sell the rolling chassis of the 3100 on craigslist to a guy looking to do an original restoration. I used the money to turn around and buy a fully working S10 long bed.
Thanks gigamanx, Good advise. I have been following your thread and have learned a lot.
I'm currently pricing a complete IFS kit with brakes,also TCI rear spring kit.
looks like around 3K for everything. I have a 9 inch ford rear (with disc) I think will fit. maybe a months work, especially if I go the "Bolt On" kits.

But with that said a Running S10 longbed could save money on a lot of components. Going for less than $1000. around here.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #16
OutlawDrifter

Always been a fan of 33/34 coupes with suicide doors!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #17
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Sweet 34...
Old 05-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #18
joedoh

thats a gorgeous car! sounds like you have the holy trinity of space, tools, and skill!

I dont advocate one choice over another, however I do like the S10 swaps myself because most guys arent looking to go to barrett jackson, they just want to go to sonic drive in.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 AM   #19
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
thats a gorgeous car! sounds like you have the holy trinity of space, tools, and skill!

I dont advocate one choice over another, however I do like the S10 swaps myself because most guys arent looking to go to barrett jackson, they just want to go to sonic drive in.
We have a drive-in movie theater nearby. Can't wait to roll up, air down, and chill in the bed with the family.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #20
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Always been a fan of 33/34 coupes with suicide doors!
Quote:
We have a drive-in movie theater nearby. Can't wait to roll up, air down, and chill in the bed with the family.
Sounds like fun.
This project will be the FIRST where I don't care about the weather. All my other hobbies and projects rely on semi good weather, Motorcycles , Drag racing , Hot Rodding , Camping.
Especially this year , we haven't had a clear weekend in two months.Rain Rain Rain, I'm sick of it. Also having the Dogs with me sometimes will be fun.

I'm blessed to have a wife who puts up a "Gear Head" , her only stipulation is it must stay INSIDE the Garage. No Spillage. LOL...

Having a garage that hold everything makes it all happen.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #21
gigamanx

I am afflicted with the same sunny day hobbies. Actually, I'd call them summer time hobbies since I don't want to do any of them in the winter. Motorcycle, sailing, camping, mountain biking, running. The truck was purchased so I could work on it in a heated space over cold winters. Oddly, even with heat in the garage I have found myself much more effective working on the truck in the summer with the garage doors wide open. There goes that idea.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:29 AM   #22
Desert1957

Quote:
I am afflicted with the same sunny day hobbies. Actually, I'd call them summer time hobbies since I don't want to do any of them in the winter. Motorcycle, sailing, camping, mountain biking, running. The truck was purchased so I could work on it in a heated space over cold winters. Oddly, even with heat in the garage I have found myself much more effective working on the truck in the summer with the garage doors wide open. There goes that idea.
Wow, funny how sometimes you think your world is out of wack.
Nice knowing there're are other people like us.

Off trac a bit but here is something funny. I purchased a two year old , used slide in truck camper in an attempt to get my wife to go to the track more when I race. She loves it so much we spend more time traveling and camping now (Not Racing). This has become a big reason I'm not in the garage on the weekends.

Happy wife , Happy life really is true.
Name:  P7280653.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  45.4 KB
Name:  20170304_140417.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  45.3 KB
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #23
OutlawDrifter

Nice square crew cab also!

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #24
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Nice square crew cab also!
Thanks, California truck its whole life, 31K original miles , garaged kept , one owner. Had it two years , its been the nicest square body I've ever owned.
Tows like a dream , cost the fraction of a NEW dually.
7.4 -4L80

Name:  s-l1600 (5).jpg
Views: 624
Size:  69.5 KB
Old 05-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #25
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yep..super nice square...