The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #101
skyphix

Re: 1980 Chevy C10 - Ugly but Functional

Getting close to winter up here... last few weeks of driving it. Took her for an impromptu photo shoot.

skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #102
skyphix

A little introductory video, and recap of work done.

https://youtu.be/-9vkZiRBRZU

I'm still working on my video editing - and videography in general. Most of those were just quick videos and snapshots from our phones but as I start to try to grow my (non-monetized) YouTube channel, I'll get better.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #103
WilliamFd55

You have good taste Looks a lot like my previous truck. You'll get that much more gratification, knowing you built it every time you hit the road!
WilliamFd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #104
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamFd55 View Post
You have good taste Looks a lot like my previous truck. You'll get that much more gratification, knowing you built it every time you hit the road!
Definitely true! Even though its still pretty rough, and sometimes a bit sketchy, I enjoy driving this a LOT more than anything else in the fleet. Funny thing is, I was never a truck guy, or a Chevy guy. I always had Buick muscle cars and would just maintain them/minor upgrades (springs and shocks, etc.) I bought the truck because I got the LS for free, and it was the cheapest thing I could find in driving condition and was one of the easier LS Swaps to perform. Now I love the truck, as do my girls. It was going to just be a ratty street/strip truck but now its going to be a nice-ish daily that I can learn and test things on. No real direction otherwise, just whatever I feel like. Slapped together 5.3 that will eventually get a turbo? sure. NA 6.0? Sure. Paint and body? Why not, whole gamut of stuff to learn there - lots of complicated dents and some minor rust.

This winter its getting tubular control arms (not a coilover conversion) and a brake over haul (just stock front disks and new shoes for the rear) - and I'll fix the floor pans, and hopefully do up a better exhaust now that I'm more comfortable working with metal tubing and welding.

Sort of a learn as I go project. The better half wants a 68-73 Nova so I'm hunting for one of those, which I'll attempt to do as a much nicer and more directed build, but for now its just learning and ripping on the truck.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #105
skyphix

How I did my LS Swap - gives as much details as I reasonably could, but hopefully helpful to some!

https://youtu.be/-g0rBcVuRsU

with the holiday season here, parts orders have been on hold since October, but come the new year... all suspension stuff will be ordered...
Old 12-04-2023, 11:34 AM   #106
skyphix

A lot has changed here - since my last post, I've mostly just done repairs - brakes, driveway alignment, cleaned up/insulated/resealed the interior, and... a lot of driving. 11,000 miles since the swap. Its been my daily driver (outside of winter time,) commuter, work truck, Halloween decoration, etc.

After 3 years of falling in love with it, its time for it to come apart again and at least have the mechanical portions gone through and upgraded or fixed. Body will always be what it is. I've got an LQ4 sitting here waiting to be dropped in, likely going to get swapped to a manual trans when the current engine/trans come out for another daily driver project I'm gathering parts for. This will always be my shop truck/test mule.

(Thanksgiving tradition is that I drive the truck... no matter what the weather is.)

(Sound deadener, LMCTruck carpet kit, new steering wheel, tucked the PCM/etc behind/above the glove box, new window and door seals)

(Pulling my daughters Jeep project off the trailer)