The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
53GMC

Red face How to remove...

hey everyone...got a few questions for ya on how to remove things from my 1953 GMC truck

i have tried to figure this out for myself but i know there must be an easier way....how do i..

1) remove the steering wheel and steering column
2) remove the guages
3) remove the glass windows from the doors
4) and how to remove the cab.....how many cab to frame support bolts are there and where might all of them be?

help in any or all of these areas would be greatly appreciated

ive tried to figure out an easier way but cannot find out how to do so i know i know im playin a sad little tune!

thanks everyone!

53GMC
53GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
britnjc

Re: How to remove...

1) remove the steering wheel and steering column
2) remove the guages
3) remove the glass windows from the doors
4) and how to remove the cab.....how many cab to frame support bolts are there and where might all of them be?

My experience was I cut the steering shaft with a saw zaw above the gearbox. I didnt need it I am using S10 steering wheel. Sorry for all the purist out there for cutting a good shaft.\

the gauges are held in by four small nuts on each gauge on behind the dash I forgot the size the they are

the glass can be unbolted and removed from the tracks by taking the doo panels off and rolling the windows up

the cab is bolted down by four bolts on the rear, they kind of look like spring shackles I think you may need to remove the tank not sure though its bee about 3 yrs since I removed mine and the from has one bolt on each side and can be seen by lifting the carpet.be sure to spray them with some wd40 or the like the day before you try and remove it will help out alot, also and impact wrech is a time saver. If all else fails pull out the grinder and saw zaw
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
54 jimmy

if you plan on using the orignal steering box and column the take off the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller followed that with the two bolts in the clamp that holds the column to the underside of the dash. next the pitman arm needs to be removed from the steering box. now the final steps pull the bolts out of the steering boxthat hold it to the frame and pull the column out from under the hood(helps if the front clip is off and the drive train/motor trans are out). or you could take the steering wheel and the column clamp off an when you take the cab off just pick the cab off and wiggle the column out though the firewall. hope this helps in a no destructive way unlike britnjc way. britnjc i would have done the same but a friend needed my column for a project he was working on.
2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)

Last edited by 54 jimmy; 08-05-2009 at 08:29 AM.
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
53GMC

thank you all a great deal...couldnt find an easy way to do it but those suggestions really helped a great deal! my project is outside in this scorching georgia heat...and the other day i was only a few minutes from taking that saw zaw to it! which i may still do!

thanks again...couldnt find the bolts for the guages before but see them now...thanks everyone!

53GMC
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
robin58

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnjc View Post

My experience was I cut the steering shaft with a saw zaw above the gearbox. I didnt need it I am using S10 steering wheel. Sorry for all the purist out there for cutting a good shaft.\
It never ceases to amaze me why people simply destroy parts they aren't going to use. I yanked a bunch of old parts off my 53. I either succeeded in selling the old parts (including the steering column/box which btw fetched close to $100 on fleabay) or simply donated them to people who were looking for parts. It's an easy way to #1 buy new parts for your truck and #2 help another fellow enthusiast save a few bucks.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
OrrieG

Robin I agree but in britnjc defense some of those parts are just not popular or have much value.

I still have all the steering, stock three speed shift stuff, 235 engine, gas tank and other misc stuff from my truck that I have tried to give a way for the scrap value, no one wants it. I called Jim Carter and offered it to them for shipping, hope bring it to Kansas and we will take it. I finally got tired of moving the bellhousing, intake and exhaust manifolds and scrapped them. Engine is next, tired of tripping over it all the time.

I also have a fine collection of 283's and TH350's that knowone seems interested in. And my 74 donor truck, gots of good stock parts but no interest so it will be going to scrap soon too. I have also scrapped 60's Mustang and VW stuff from those old projects that I had hung on to for 25 years, again no interest and I got tired of spending money to advertise the stuff for sale or swap meet fees.

Sorry for hijacking the post.

Last edited by OrrieG; 08-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
britnjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Robin I agree but in britnjc defense some of those
Sorry for hijacking the post.
I understand, and tried to keep all my original parts to sell and some sell and some do not. With my column Alabama heat and pure disgust with trying to remove resulted in a cut shaft. I have since figured out that leaving a part after wrestling with it four hours and coming back to it later can be easier. When you get tired you just dont think of things that are simple. But anyways. By the way I have a tank that has been laying around for months that will soon be scrap metal unless someone needs it!
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
BlueJeep

I cut my steering column off at the box for 2 reasons. First, it was the easiest, quickest way to get the cab off. Second, if I decide to put a bearing in it and adapt to the s10 steering shaft I can. Currently I'm torn between using the original column and wheel, and using the s10 column with all the stuff right there (wipers, turn signals, tilt, cruise, etc.).

I agree with Orrie, in that I've been tripping over things for years and I'm getting sick of keeping it around so someone could "save" it in the future. I've tried giving things away, and haven't had very good luck with that either.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
robin58

I guess I was just lucky in getting rid of my spare parts. Lots of my items went to ratrodders before it became too trendy and overblown. Other items like the hood ornament, emblems etc. were snapped up by people trying to put their trucks back to original condition who didn't want to use some Pacific rim replica. Have to admit I am totally puzzled why nobody would take some of that drivetrain stuff from you OrrieG. You would think if nothing else some teenager would want to tinker with something.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
OrrieG

Mystifies me too. This is the second 74 I have used for parts. The first I could not give away and all it needed was a engine and transmission. After 6 months it went to recycling after I pulled some other parts (steering column, brake parts, radiator). I may use the current one to build a trailer out of the back clip. But there seems to be a lot of mid 70's around her and no one wants the 1/2 ton axles, everyone is upgrading to 3/4 or 1 ton stuff.

Last edited by OrrieG; 08-05-2009 at 01:50 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
53GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
I cut my steering column off at the box for 2 reasons. First, it was the easiest, quickest way to get the cab off. Second, if I decide to put a bearing in it and adapt to the s10 steering shaft I can.
Blue Jeep and britnjc, so i could use the same old steering column and wheel correct? If i were to do that would i just cut it off near the box? I have spent a lot of today trying to finish getting it out of the box with no success.....

the saw zaw is looking better...and i would put it up for sell, but the small town im from has no one with any interest ...and if they did would want to rip me off.......so im thinking its not gonna hurt me to cut it...

Last edited by 53GMC; 08-05-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
robin58

Yes you can adapt/modify your steering column to work with a later steering box. I think there's a pictorial tech/how-to at Classic Performance Parts website showing you where and how to cut/modify.

http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...ing-Trucks.htm

Last edited by robin58; 08-05-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
kulturekat

orrieg if you were closer id take all that stuff off your hands

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=402562

1955 ford f-100
1968 ford mustang
1966 ford mustang
kulturekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
BlueJeep

[QUOTE=53GMC;3448855]Blue Jeep and britnjc, so i could use the same old steering column and wheel correct? If i were to do that would i just cut it off near the box? I have spent a lot of today trying to finish getting it out of the box with no success.....QUOTE]

Yep, like this:

http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=663&page=3

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 08-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
53GMC

i looked at your pictures all the way through blue jeep....that is a mean looking machine!!

i saw where the shaft of the steering column came out from the firewall with the square head end and the s-10 arm was coming up from the steering box.....what would connect the two? would an s-10 connection match the two together? just getting some info so i know what to be lookin for parts wise....

thanks again

53GMC
Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
BlueJeep

That's not mine, just an example of what you're asking for. He said that he had it pulled into the cab for mounting the header in that picture, but it would connect to the s10 intermediate shaft when in "normal" position.

Mine isn't that far along, I have my front cab mounts fabbed up and have to do the back ones yet. I'm probably going to use the s10 column.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix

Last edited by BlueJeep; 08-05-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #17
robin58

53GMC, this article written by Houston54 will give you an idea on how to make it all connect:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...junkyard_parts
Old 08-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #18
sn33kyp3t3

I was lucky enough to get the service manual with my truck including tear down and reassembly diagrams and procedures.

The column was easy to pull out but you basically have to unbolt the top cap at the steering box and pull the worm gear out by spinning the column until it bottomed out.

I agree with not sacrificing any vintage parts. Do what you can to salvage as much as you can.

"Right-here, right-now" may be the new American standard way of doing things, but there is value in practicing patience and taking your time with things.

Just my two cents. Take it for what its worth.
sn33kyp3t3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
53GMC

thank you sn33kyp3t3...i actually started doing that without exactly knowing what i was doing it...i started spinning he gear out but once it reached a certain point it seems like it will lock up and not go any further...not sure what that is so that is why i considered cutting....but thank you for your help and if you could tell me how to finish spinning it out id appreciate it!

thanks to everyone who was so helpful on this post!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
sn33kyp3t3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53GMC View Post
thank you sn33kyp3t3...i actually started doing that without exactly knowing what i was doing it...i started spinning he gear out but once it reached a certain point it seems like it will lock up and not go any further...not sure what that is so that is why i considered cutting....but thank you for your help and if you could tell me how to finish spinning it out id appreciate it!

thanks to everyone who was so helpful on this post!
No worries. I'll scan the diagrams and give you the exact directions a little later today. I'll see if I can get you the info for some of the other stuff too.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
bensimmons_05

pb penetrating catalyst

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #22
sn33kyp3t3

Here are the manual instructions. The file is too big to upload here but I've made it downloadable here:
http://inspirefocus.com/files/Truck ...structions.pdf

I didn't include the gauge removal, its just a matter of undoing 4 nuts, 1/4" I think.

But let us know if you have any questions.

-Pete
Old 08-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
53GMC

all i can say is you have no idea how much i appreciate that! i am so thankful! that has saved me so much brain use! haha.....thank you again! maybe in the future i will be able to download and perhaps print the entire manual you have! I appreciate your help and dedication to it! Us newbies to old trucks need all the help we can get!!!

53GMC
Old 08-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #24
sn33kyp3t3

No prob! Thats what we're here for.

My plan is to scan the entire manual and have it available for all those that need it.

I realized after I had scanned the pages that I left the settings too high, thats why the file was so big.

If there is anything else you need just ask.