The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
buildinga55

Radiator Outlet Questions???

Thanks for the help yesterday with wiring the engine to start. It looks like I have that all correct. The engine will turn over with the key. Now before I try to start the engine I put the radiator in and got the hoses and noticed the hose outlets on the new radiator are a little smaller than the 350 outlets. This radiator is new and came with the truck. The guy told me it was sized for a V8. However, the lower outlet on the radiator is slightly smaller than the water pump outlet on the 350 and the upper radiator outlet is quite a bit smaller than the intake outlet on the engine. I was thinking I could just build up the radiator outlets by wrapping some rubber from an intertube or something. Should I have larger outlets braze on to the new radiator, or what do you think? For short term just to see if this engine is running, I will make something work, but for long term what would you suggest? Thanks
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
britnjc

Re: Radiator Outlet Questions???

you can go to your auto part store and look over there stock hose selection and match one up to fit you application. many of the prefabb hoses have one size on one end and another size on the other. I took ID hose measurments I needed from the radiator and outlet in inlet on the motor then took my tape measure to Autozone and went behind the counter to find me a hose that would fit the sizes I needed and the bends I needed. They also have some of the flex hoses but check your sizes. Once I found the ones I needed I just cut to fit. I do not know if that makes any sense but thats what I did.
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
britnjc

if you just wanting to start the engine you shouldnt need any water just for a quick start. Just dont let it get to hot. You can monitor the temp. But I dont see a problem if all your wanting to do is see if it will start.
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
buildinga55

I would like to bring the engine up to temp. It has not been started since I converted from TBI to the Carb setup. I am sure I will need to time and tune, so I probably will run it a little while.
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote