The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
ajgriffin

Seatbelt Help

Ok, so I got some 3-point seatbelts from Southern Hotrods and I"m having a doozy trying to figure out how to install them. They didn't come with any instructions (that's the second time in recent history that's happened and gone wrong for me) but here are pictures of the parts and my best guess at how they go together. Only problem is, they can't be installed in the truck at least not the way I picture it. Can someone help me figure this out? FYI, the bolt is original equipment from the truck. The bracket and buckle are from Southern Hotrod.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
hotrod100

Re: Seatbelt Help

The way it looks to me is you need to stick the loop into the bracket from the side and then put the bolt through the hole and it will go through both pieces. I would put the bolt through the opposite way you have it in the picture.(So the slot cut into it is on the bottom) I would also look for a longer bolt. This is all speculation of course!
hotrod100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
cdowns

i'd call the people you got them from for technical assistance so you can have it done properly and safely
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
fishingjred73

I agree with hotrod1oo

'68 Stepside (ground up in progress)

My 68 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...side-t956.html

'81 SWB "Pap paw" (Driver)

The 81 build thread http://louisianaclassictruckclub.fre...-swb-t960.html

Member of
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com

https://www.facebook.com/groups/296290610747732/
fishingjred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
mclairmo

I've never seen seatbelts with an attachment like that. I almost want to say they will not work for a 67-72 truck but I could be wrong. They look like they bolt sideways into a transmission tunnel like a Camaro and not into the back/floor of the cab of a truck. I would go with the 3 point belts made to bolt in with no drilling like Brother's sells. Trying to make universal ones fit these trucks is not easy in my opinion and not safe. I know because I adapted junkyard 3 points into my 68C10 and I had to use a metal chain to extend the buckle part. Not great but good enough for me until I can get new proper 3 point belts in there.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
ajgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod100 View Post
The way it looks to me is you need to stick the loop into the bracket from the side and then put the bolt through the hole and it will go through both pieces. I would put the bolt through the opposite way you have it in the picture.(So the slot cut into it is on the bottom) I would also look for a longer bolt. This is all speculation of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I've never seen seatbelts with an attachment like that. I almost want to say they will not work for a 67-72 truck but I could be wrong. They look like they bolt sideways into a transmission tunnel like a Camaro and not into the back/floor of the cab of a truck. I would go with the 3 point belts made to bolt in with no drilling like Brother's sells. Trying to make universal ones fit these trucks is not easy in my opinion and not safe. I know because I adapted junkyard 3 points into my 68C10 and I had to use a metal chain to extend the buckle part. Not great but good enough for me until I can get new proper 3 point belts in there.
Ok, so I talked with southern and it turns out you need an L bracket to mount these up to the floor. They're made out of a hard plastic and they're not that long so if you mount it as described above w/o the L bracket, it wouldn't make it up to & thru the seat for you to actually use it. So bottom line is you do put the bolt through both parts, but you need the L bracket to make it go vertical (woulda been nice to know when ordering My next concern is if the L bracket it slim enough because there isn't much flat space around the mounting hole. I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks for the help everybody!

P.S. -- mclairmo I got that kickdown cable all buttoned up now. Works good
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
mclairmo

Good deal.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote