The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2024, 08:44 AM   #1
62 Barnfind

Correct engine wiring harness for 62?

I’m in the process of gathering parts for my v8 swap in my 62. I was looking on line for the correct v8 engine harness and found one that I think will work but not sure. I want to ask someone who has done it because most of the time the people on the phone don’t know. All my wiring is aftermarket stock spec wiring. Is the one for the 62 v8 the correct one or do I need to make one myself? I’m just trying to make it go as smooth as I can. Thanks!
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 AM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: Correct engine wiring harness for 62?

I did the American Auto Wire harness on my '61. It has everything you need, and extras for the extras you might need. Zero complaints with AAW.

I bought the entire kit of everything, but they sell each section piece-meail, which might be more what you want.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:46 AM   #3
62 Barnfind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I did the American Auto Wire harness on my '61. It has everything you need, and extras for the extras you might need. Zero complaints with AAW.

I bought the entire kit of everything, but they sell each section piece-meail, which might be more what you want.
I have that harness for my 57. I just need the engine harness because all the others has been replaced. The current one is for my 235. One site has the harness for a V8 62 and I am wondering if that’s all I neeed or will I have to add something.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:25 PM   #4
bhap

You will need to make sure the wires on the inside of the firewall match up to the engine side. My 235 had a resistor wire on the engine side of the harness that needed to be replaced with a regular 12 gal wire for the HEI. My harness also had a blank spot on the connector I used for an electric choke. My suggestion is to find a good wiring diagram (search this site) for the setup you are starting with and make changes to match your new setup. You can buy Packard 56 terminals to replace the ones in your current connector plugs or to add new wires. You can also get new connectors to replace yours if they are brittle or melted. Once you have your wires identified and layed out, you can crimp new terminals, insert in connectors and re-wrap the harness. On the inside of the firewall, if you remove the glovebox, you can access the in-side of the engine harness connector to trace wires under the dash.
bhap is offline   Reply With Quote