The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
forestb

All wet

What should I do if my 350 gets rained on. My 62 C10 truck is sitting outside with no front end on it. Just the engine sitting on the frame rails with a tarp over it. We had our first big rain in So-Cal and the tarp blew off and the engine got rained on. The truck is at my parents house and it rained on Thursday and I did not get a chance to look at it until today. From what I can tell moisture got inside the HEI distributer and on the top of the carburetor. The air cleaner was on so I don't know if any got down the actual carb but there was moisture inside. My headers were off and I had paper towels in the ports. But when I pulled some of the towels out they were soaked all the way through. The end of the spark plug wires also go wet.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: All wet

Pour tranny fluid or mystery oil down every hole with no spark plugs and roll the engine over a few times.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Can you run the engine? If you can, just see if it will start. With no headers, it will be noisy though. If it doesn't run then I agree that pouring some oil down the plug holes or even using a compressed air oil spray will help. Cranking the engine will help disperse the oil.

If you suspect it got more moisture than just a little bit, also drain the oil and refill as well as above recommendations.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Indian113

DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE!!!!! Take your plugs out and turn it over by hand so ANY moisture will squirt out of Exhaust. If not and there's any water in Cylinder you'll bend Rods and could crack a head.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

All wet....that is the way that we like are women? Not so good on the truck? I would pull all the plugs, spray it with wd -40 down the holes, & spin it on the starter. Check that you have no water in the crankcase....replace plugs, & lite the booger. Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
franken

Heh, you CA folks grumble about no rain for years. Now you're upset because it rained Drought here in TX so sympathies...

Read the ingredients of WD40. Waxy water essentially. WD means water displacement, not lubrication. Toss that crap in the trash.
I'd blast air in through the plug holes w/ the throttle open til no water came out and shoot a petroleum based lube in the cylinders.
Note the lack of capital letters and exclamation points.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Heh, you CA folks grumble about no rain for years. Now you're upset because it rained Drought here in TX so sympathies...

Read the ingredients of WD40. Waxy water essentially. WD means water displacement, not lubrication. Toss that crap in the trash.
I'd blast air in through the plug holes w/ the throttle open til no water came out and shoot a petroleum based lube in the cylinders.
Note the lack of capital letters and exclamation points.
WD does stand, for water displacement....that is why I recommended it? I agree with you on lubing the cyls after the WD-40? Do not toss the wd-40 in the trash can....it has a purpose? Also note the lack of capital letters, & exclamation points? Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
forestb

SORRY!!! I did not mean to start a exclamation point and capital letters battle.

Thank you for all your help. I cranked the engine over by hand and no water came out. Every thing seams to be ok. But I guess I will not really know until I fire it up. Which I might try to do this weekend.

Is there a simple way to turn the engine over using only the starter motor without having all the plug wires connected or any other electrical?
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
Indian113

You don't need to apologize for asking a question. I will to you for Yelling at you in my post because I was excited, I have seen what a Hydrolock can do to a engine both automotive and motorcycle. It's not a pretty sight and it doesn't take much moisture. As far as the " battle" the internet has made it real easy for some people to show just how smart they really are.
If I was going to turn the motor over without starting I would disconnect the power wire to distributor. But then I could be wrong it's just my opinion
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
Is there a simple way to turn the engine over using only the starter motor without having all the plug wires connected or any other electrical?
Yes, you can turn the engine over without all the plug cables. If it's connected to the battery, you can jumper the solenoid or better yet, buy a remote starter switch for $15-$20 at auto parts store. It's useful to have when working on engines.

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
cg285

i wouldn't think there would be much of a problem if you had the air cleaner on and everything else was sealed up. unlike the 8.1 i did for my boy - where he left the chassis outside and with the intake off.
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote