The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #76
dmjlambert

Re: Alternator question

When you get your ACDelco PT2145, use an ohm meter to measure how many ohms the resistor is, and please let us know. Many old threads about doing this mention all different resistor values and going to Radio Shack for them, so I wonder. American Auto Wire has an adapter also, and I don't know if it has the sense wire included but it does have a resistor on the L wire. Their resistor is 510 ohms according to a tech guy that wrote me back in an email. They say in a white paper on their website any resistance between 35 ohms (5-Watt resistor) and 500 ohms (0.5 Watt resistor) is fine. I wonder why the big range.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #77
driller35

I will certainly do once I receive harness and hoping it is within specs

70 Chev CST, 350 auto, PS, PB, AC, tach
driller35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #78
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I usually go anywhere from 150-300 ohms.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #79
dave`12

I'm glad this thread appears to be helping other people. I thought seriously about making a streamlined how-to for dummies like me, but the I can see that most people are leaning towards the CS conversion, so I won't bother.

Like a dummy, I reinstalled my coolant overflow over the terminal box that I used near the junction. I had wanted a pic or to to show how clean the installation is, and how the box looks, but the screws are hard to get to, and I don't feel like removing the coolant overflow just to take a picture. Suffice it to say that it works great and looks very tidy.
Thanx again to all that helped.

As an aside, shingles rash is almost gone after nearly 4 weeks. Pain remains. I have almost forgotten what it is like not to be in pain If you are over 50, do yourself a favor and get the shot. They do it at the pharmacy, you don't even have to get an appointment or go to the doctor. Supposed to be 90% effective.
dave`12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #80
driller35

Alright so I got the Part PT2145 GM(88861073) and according to the reading its 511, so I am just assuming this reads 511ohms resistance , I did this on two different testers and got the same result so this would pretty much be correct to what dmjlambert had said
Attached Images

Last edited by driller35; 06-17-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: rearrange words
Old 06-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #81
dmjlambert

That looks good. Your new alternator will probably bolt in and work fine with this adapter. Please let us know.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #82
driller35

Will do but wont be until mid July before I get to

Old 07-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #83
driller35

Looking at finish installing tomorrow, there is no ground post on the CS130, is it just grounded thru the Case and bolts or am I missing something here ?
Cheers

Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #84
vince1

I think because the regulator is internal that part of it is not so critical like it was on the others where the regulator had to be grounded to the alternator.

I am using a CS130 without the resistor, just the indicator lamp to the L. Apparently the alternator life may be compromised but it has been on for about three years now and working good. I'll have to find the time to parallel in a resistor.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #85
Travisarmenta

[QUOTE=VetteVet;8271526]Spot on

I'm pretty sure i understand the process minus the swapping the alternator from driver to passenger side.

is this a must? and if so why?
Travisarmenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #86
driller35

Alrighty installed CS130 and working excellent, showing a continuous 13.5 volts loaded or no load, I had a bypass plug for generator style setup so used that, generator style plug to SI plug style to CS style plug and all good , and routed a new 10 gage wire from altenator to battery

Old 07-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #87
dave`12

[quote=Travisarmenta;8308596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Spot on

I'm pretty sure i understand the process minus the swapping the alternator from driver to passenger side.

is this a must? and if so why?
The only difference would be wire length

If it's set up to work (brackets, etc.) no reason to move it in the least.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:09 PM   #88
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller35 View Post
Alrighty installed CS130 and working excellent, showing a continuous 13.5 volts loaded or no load, I had a bypass plug for generator style setup so used that, generator style plug to SI plug style to CS style plug and all good , and routed a new 10 gage wire from altenator to battery
Great news, thanks for reporting back your success.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #89
Travisarmenta

[quote=dave`12;8310066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisarmenta View Post

The only difference would be wire length

If it's set up to work (brackets, etc.) no reason to move it in the least.
Thanks for the reply.
Travisarmenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 AM   #90
halfstep

Driller - what about a photo of your shiny new CS 130 installation for us readers?!
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #91
Unofornaio

Ok so I have read this entire thread some parts 3 times and many others on the alternator swap/replace issue. LOTS of great wiring information and reasoning behind which to choose. In all that I have read I still have only came across the 2 listed below Specific Vehicle years and models to ask for or look up to obtain either the 12si or the cs130 alternators.

1. 89 Pontiac Safari is a CS130

2. 1988 Olds Firenza with a 2.0 FI (122cu) engine

3. Other articles refer to "early nineties GM trucks or the full size cars"

I also read the MAD Electrical article and I swear I saw a table listing makes and models or maybe part numbers. I just looked at it again and could not find what I thought I has seen.

I have a 68 C40 with a 350 in it. EVERYTHING ELSE in the engine bay is original that I know of. I believe I have the SAME alternator pictured in the MAD article which was a 1st gen si model. The original alternator was replaced and the exterior regulator and associated wiring (although still present) eliminated from the charging process. As far as I can tell from all the diagrams it appears the wire conversion to a single wire was done correctly. This was my brothers truck for several years and he did not have ANY issues with the wiring.

The alternator is currently reading 12v (directy at the unit) at idle. At this point I realize there is the "possibility" that reading could be correct and the truck just needs to run at a higher rpm or any other possible scenario but at this point its clear the unit needs to be upgraded so this is what I am starting with and need some help.
All of the food production equipment with be powered by a separate on board power system.

So here it is:
What make model and year do I search/ask for to purchase the cs130 version that will fit my vehicle?
P.S. I initially could not believe this issue is not been settled a hundred times over on here but after reading the posts I see that each one has a different tweek to it. Perhaps I am over-complicating things. I also read the alternator kinda post in the faq which really did not address the simple question of what vehicles have these alternators in them that will work for these trucks.
Thank you.
Unofornaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #92
dmjlambert

89 Pontiac Safari alternator is the CS130 with a v-belt pully already on it. I suggest go to a parts store such as O'Reilly and have them show you one. If they need to order it, it will take perhaps a day for them to get it.

This is the Mad Electric article with the chart in it:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
They did not include anything about the CS-130. That article is just about the 12SI and 10SI.

Here is the article I like about the CS-130:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220703...20IN%203.0.pdf

Bottom line on the CS-130 is you can verify by having a look at it that the mounting ears and pully line up and should be a physical match to the alternator you have. Then get the right connector for it and a resistor. I use a 2 wire connector and hook up the sense wire, not just the single L wire as suggested in the American Autowire article. You can get the ACDelco PT2145 adapter plug as mentioned on the previous page.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 07-02-2022 at 08:42 PM. Reason: updated URL for CS-130 paper
Old 05-25-2019, 12:25 AM   #93
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unofornaio View Post
The alternator is currently reading 12v (directy at the unit) at idle. At this point I realize there is the "possibility" that reading could be correct and the truck just needs to run at a higher rpm or any other possible scenario but at this point its clear the unit needs to be upgraded so this is what I am starting with and need some help.
Yes, idle may be too slow to make the alternator kick in and start working. My CS-144 will not come on at the slow idle speed I have for my engine. I don't think it is a concern.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 AM   #94
Unofornaio

Thank you Sir. Its late and we do the Local Farmers Markets on the Weekends. I will read the american auto article that you linked to. Its crazy to me that you knew of the other MAD article I "thought" I read..

I thought i was going crazy from reading all the wiring diagrams my eyeballs felt like they were literally spinning in the sockets.

Thank you again
Unofornaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:00 AM   #95
dmjlambert

Quote:
Thank you Sir. Its late and we do the Local Farmers Markets on the Weekends. I will read the american auto article that you linked to. Its crazy to me that you knew of the other MAD article I "thought" I read..
Yes, my psychic friend signaled to me the MAD article you were thinking of.

Quote:
I thought i was going crazy from reading all the wiring diagrams my eyeballs felt like they were literally spinning in the sockets.

Thank you again
I've been exactly there, done that, got the t-shirt.
You're welcome.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #96
driller35

You already answered your question the 89 safari Has the correct cs130 altenator , also in the thread should be the wiring harness part number, for it needs this for the diode, look up the altenator on rockauto.com or your nearest auto part store

Old 05-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #97
driller35

Halfstep, have to apologize for not getting a pic up for you , somehow missed your post and will see if i have one , im in Thailand truck is in Canada waiti g for my Aug return

Old 10-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #98
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Ok so I have read this entire thread some parts 3 times and many others on the alternator swap/replace issue. LOTS of great wiring information and reasoning behind which to choose. In all that I have read I still have only came across the 2 listed below Specific Vehicle years and models to ask for or look up to obtain either the 12si or the cs130 alternators.

1. 89 Pontiac Safari is a CS130

2. 1988 Olds Firenza with a 2.0 FI (122cu) engine

3. Other articles refer to "early nineties GM trucks or the full size cars"

I also read the MAD Electrical article and I swear I saw a table listing makes and models or maybe part numbers. I just looked at it again and could not find what I thought I has seen.

I have a 68 C40 with a 350 in it. EVERYTHING ELSE in the engine bay is original that I know of. I believe I have the SAME alternator pictured in the MAD article which was a 1st gen si model. The original alternator was replaced and the exterior regulator and associated wiring (although still present) eliminated from the charging process. As far as I can tell from all the diagrams it appears the wire conversion to a single wire was done correctly. This was my brothers truck for several years and he did not have ANY issues with the wiring.

All of the food production equipment with be powered by a separate on board power system.

So here it is:
What make model and year do I search/ask for to purchase the cs130 version that will fit my vehicle?
P.S. I initially could not believe this issue is not been settled a hundred times over on here but after reading the posts I see that each one has a different tweek to it. Perhaps I am over-complicating things. I also read the alternator kinda post in the faq which really did not address the simple question of what vehicles have these alternators in them that will work for these trucks.
Thank you.
I have had too many problems with the CS-130 alternator over the past 30-years to ever intentionally put one into a vehicle if I have a better choice. They are poorly designed and overheat the bearings too easily which leads to early component failure. GM knew this and changed the design. They also designed a better alternator for the higher output levels that was available at the same time and many times in the same vehicle as an option, the CS-144.

The CS-144 is a much better design that is far more durable and isn't that much more expensive. A great fitting version that I use all the time in retrofit applications to muscle cars and trucks is from a 1993-1996 Caprice. 140-amp output option CS-144. There is also a 128-amp output option CS-144 in addition to the standard 105-amp output CS-130 alternator. It is a little bigger than the stock alternator but just takes some minor fab work on the upper bracket to get it to fit.

They all have the ribbed belt pulley so you will have to swap your V-belt pulley onto them but it is a straight swap so no big deal.

A new 140-amp CS-144 ACDELCO 3351048 $112.99 on RockAuto

I just used the one for the 1996 to 2000 GM truck & SUV application in the serpentine accessory drive I installed onto my 69 stepside.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #99
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
I have had too many problems with the CS-130 alternator over the past 30-years to ever intentionally put one into a vehicle if I have a better choice. They are poorly designed and overheat the bearings too easily which leads to early component failure. GM knew this and changed the design. They also designed a better alternator for the higher output levels that was available at the same time and many times in the same vehicle as an option, the CS-144.
Adding your experiences to a thread like this is what gives the forum a lot of value. Thanks. I ended up using a cheap generic Chinese 12SI that only lasted a year, and then a few months ago I got a Delco Remy CS144 alternator from the car parts store. The application for the car parts store computer was 1993 C1500 Cheyenne trucks, Optional Heavy Duty 124 Amp. It is USA made, with lifetime warranty.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #100
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

I chose to go the local auto parts store route as well to get the lifetime warranty and easy replacement if I need it.

Not the least expensive way but the most convenient for a daily driver where the part will wear out eventually and need replaced. A nation wide chain store is usually not far away from work or home or a destination on a road trip.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote