The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
CURSED GEARS

My truck has become "magnatized."

Hey gang! Just venting here, bare with me.
ID show pictured of my truck, but youve seen it before, plus, the images were on my other computer which got fried by lightening.
About the same time, I had surgery. After I could get around, I drove my 70ty Chevy truck to the gas station. Parked it and went inside. Came out and I had a 93 Dodge van that looked awfully close to my truck. I got out there and sure enough, the woman had hit it. She thought two cars were going to collide, so, she hit my truck to avoid them. Damage wasnt too bad, but still....
Three weeks ago, I pulled into my drive after getting back from the barber. I used my wifes car. A friend text me telling me he had free tickets to the World of wheels, and would I like to go? While answering I glanced up and theres paint chips hanging off the left rear quarter. The same place where the dodge hit me, but now I had two dents. Some time over the week, some one had hit me and didnt bother to stop. I go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark, so, I dont know where, or when this occurred.
Three nights ago, I get off work and I pull by my truck to drop off my gear. I notice someone had smeared the dirt on the paint. It was obvious to me it was the "did I scratch it? , smear. Small dent, and a broken turn signal lens. There was a piece of paper flopping under my windshield wipers. Yep! Hit again. 3rd time in five months. It seems my truck has been magnatized, and is now attracting other metal.
Ive been planning on freshening up this truck after the hotrod is done. Told my wife about a month ago that it wouldnt take much to get it ready for new paint, but now, everytime I go to it, its been hit again. Really, really irritating.
Anyway, I know this is long, but I needed to get it off my chest.
CURSED GEARS.
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
rsavage

Re: My truck has become "magnatized."

Sorry for your multiple hits. Has to be frustrating.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
CURSED GEARS

Yes, it is. I did this truck about 11 years ago. Drive it through winter and summer, and its developed some issues, faded paint, rust through on the tailgate, but nothing I cant fix. But if it keeps getting hit every 48 seconds, its going to take a lot more for the revamp.
I took a couple of pictures.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
old Chevy guy

I had a couple of nova's that had that "magnet problem". It kept pulling them off the road into guardrails. Sorry about the truck,the only thing that sucks worse than getting hit is when people drive off without telling you.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'll bet if you hit their late model they would get really POed.But to them "It's just an old truck" still sucks and is why I usually park out far enough that people don't want to walk that far,even tho mines still in need of refreshing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
CURSED GEARS

Yes, this time I was hit by a 2007 model. It sucks. You might notice that my trucks been hit three times, and I was not in it during all three accidents. Come to think of it, it got hit about 6 years ago, I wasnt in it then either.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
FlounderGDI

That's crazy. I hate it when people don't take responsibility for their actions. I hate when I take my truck out and I worry about door dings and scratches... I guess nothing stays nice unless it never leaves the garage.

I'd suggest welding some guardrail to the sides...
2008 Malibu

Brand Loyal... I've never owned a Vehicle not made by Chevrolet.
FlounderGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
DorianB

Time to get the wrap around exterior roll bar bumpers!
DorianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
dyrt

My father has a theory about this:

When you work hard to maintain something or build something, it attracts other people who either have no skills, no money or no work ethic/respect. Either way, it all stems from jealousy, a weird concept that can best be summed up in my father's words..."Yeah i hit your car...and you know why? because f$@k you, that's why." It has happened to every car me, my father, or my brothers built.

This also goes in the same line as you buy a nice car and park it away from other cars, but when the a-hole with 3 kids they didn't want is looking for a parking space, they just so happen to decide to park the family sedan or suv far away from the building, but RIGHT next to your car. Now you have 2 sets of dings on your car. My upstairs neighbor in my old apartment used to, and i am not exhaggerating, open BOTH driver side doors on her car whenever she went anywhere by grabbing the handle, pulling the doors and letting it go. She had no problem letting the sheetmetal on my 2000 jimmy take a few door blows a day. She was a miserable old woman who would immediately threaten to call the cops and play stupid when i confronted her(kindly, might i add.)

Sorry for the rant, i feel strongly about this. I feel your pain. I am 95% sure i am going to skip most body work and paint the dents in on my truck because of this. I am going to use it as a truck anyway but i am fixing rotten sheetmetal now.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Gokart Mozart

I had a buddy with a 50s Willys wagon. He went to a store and his friend got out but he stayed in the car. A lady pulled into the spot next to the passenger side and flung the door open as she got out. It banged against the Willys and she shrugged and mumbled sorry as she walked away. He reached over and unlatched the passenger door and kicked it hard and it smacked her car, putting a good ding in the side. She stopped and looked. My friend mumbled sorry.
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
CURSED GEARS

Dyrt, I know what you mean. If the picture turns out, this is what I'm building now. Keeping the rust, easier to maintain and I'll be less likely to be upset if someone throws the door into it. (yeah, right) also, think im going semi gloss black on the70ty the next time. Its hard to have shiny paint when you use your stuff all the time.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Sorry to hear your truck keeps being the victim of hit and runs. People have no respect any more!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
CURSED GEARS

Picture didnt turn out. Oh well.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
Boogie_Man

That sounds a lot like my kinda luck. I got "Murphy's Law" tattoo'd on my collar bone for a reason, not to mention it's my last name I feel for ya bud, that sucks! Looks like a nice truck.
Boogie_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
sboris

Feel your pain. Had a 71 step that I did a frame off on in early 90s that got hit in the storage unit I was using for the winter, got hit again in a parking lot a short time later. Of coarse no one sees anything, and went to a wedding that summer and someone pulled the tailgate pins and when I left, it fell and hit the exhaust tips! (no strap or chain). Uuaarrg! Feel for you, very frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
1BadAction

Its not just old trucks, it's ANYTHING nice. Honestly that is a big reason I'm not in that big of a hurry to sell my DD and buy something newer.
1BadAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Spoof

It's not just old trucks, or anything nice either...it's anything.
If it's made of destructible material it will be damaged. It's tough to accept but it is reality.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
old Chevy guy

I was reading some of the posts and was reminded of this picture on my phone and thought I would post it. I was driving my Dads truck this day and stopped at the xtra mart for a refreshing bevrage. I live in a small town and I was the only vehicle in the entire parking lot including the pumps and all. As I was leaving some guy that looked like he might be drunk at 2 in the afternoon came in and when I went out this is what I saw. Really? in a lot that you could park about 20 cars in this is where he was parked.I was ready to wait for him and ream him out but decided since there was no damage to just go. Of course I was driving the Chevy But seriously in a whole empty lot how ignorant do you have to be to do this?
Attached Images

old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #19
CURSED GEARS

That would irritate me greatly, even more so since there was other places to park.
Any of you guys see a video on you tube. It was taken from a security cam. A chick in a small convertible dings a guys car, then just walks off with out as much as a "sorry" The owner of the offended car walks to the convertible, climbed in it, stands up, unzips, and just starts peeing all over it. The dash, the seats, everything! You can see cars driving by as he does it.
I get a visit from the lizzard today. (geico) we will see what they will give me for my new unwanted dent.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
CURSED GEARS

Well, the lizzard gave me $491.83 for the damage, so, I guess I'll get some new drop shocks I been needing, and put the rest away until I have time to give the ole girl a make over. I hope people are done running into me.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
snj8198

Years ago I had an original '79 shorty without a ding in it. I always made a point to park away from the group to preserve it. At work I as well as another nice rig parked biased to the inner line so we together took up 3 spaces way out in the parking lot. A coworker found the cubbyhole between us a convenient place to hide and smoke dope before she headed back into work. She and her passenger managed to door ding both our rigs. She needed two new doors on her fancy little car when we left.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #22
CURSED GEARS

Old post I know, but might as well keep a running total.......hit again today.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #23
sboris

Maybe you should change your name. Kidding, sorry to hear it. Hope all is ok and is it fixable?
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Maybe you should change your name. Kidding, sorry to hear it. Hope all is ok and is it fixable?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think it's his gears that are cursed... Man, you need to start carrying a rabbit's foot or something.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
FlounderGDI

Sorry to hear man. How bad was it?

The roads here in Lafayette have been pretty nasty since Sunday... Hope they get them cleaned up soon.
2008 Malibu

Brand Loyal... I've never owned a Vehicle not made by Chevrolet.
FlounderGDI is offline   Reply With Quote