The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
jasonroman

flip kit on 4x4 questions??

hello all. picked up a 97 a week ago. 88k original mile truck been sitting a while but clean.
came with 16s and tires that were all cracked up- found some clist wheels and good tires- 20s for 230. purchased. did front brakes. put wheels on, turned down the stock torsion bar keys a bit.

want the truck lower. looked at lowering keys but saw a bunch of issues getting them out - so not sure its worth the pItA. for 100 keys- or spend 2 and get good spindles. read djm- might be the way to go- won't push wheels out.. my cheepo craigslist purchase was good to me on one end. 5 wheels and tires with good meat for cheep. but i dont like the way the front tires stick out - rears are good and will tuck if i lower. but the fronts- not so happy right now. but know with spindles id need bigger wheels so for now- they will do.

was under the truck this weekend checking things out. i was gonna put shackles i have in the garage on but didn't want the rear lower than the front.

so the question now- can i use 98 silverado flip kit instead of paying more for a 4x4 kit?
also- while under the truck, looks like getting the leaf spring off the side with the Gas Tank, might be hard.
dont look like theres a way to get the bolt out..
ill be flipping on the floor in my garage. how do you guys do it????
do i need to find the size of stock bolts and nuts and buy 6 new ones for each side and cut out the old?

appreciate any help - direction- pics that you guys can send my way.

j from jersey
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Tom
driving is in my blood

Re: flip kit on 4x4 questions??

Flip kit should be the same for 2wd or 4wd, the rear suspension is the same. That being said, if they make a 4wd version it stands to reason a 2wd version will not work otherwise why would they make it?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
jasonroman

i read in a few places its ok to order parts for silverado or 2wheel drive trucks as flip is the same. i was looking for advice from people who know. not looking for arguments.
just some direction
Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 AM   #4
EVRLET

I used McGaughys 33144 on my Tahoe
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
jasonroman

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
i read in a few places its ok to order parts for silverado or 2wheel drive trucks as flip is the same. i was looking for advice from people who know. not looking for arguments.
just some direction
I see no argument here. I only see your rude comment which could easily start one. If you only wanted comments from those who absolutely know what you need to know you should have said so. What Tom offered, though not facts based on personal experience, were certainly intended to be helpful to you and did offer food for thought. His logic makes perfect sense. Why spend the money on making two separate applications when only one is needed? That would be enough for me to look deeper than what you read someone else said that you seem to be regarding as fact.

To be honest, I can't even understand what you are trying to say with "Silverado or 2wheel drive trucks as flip is the same". I can't begin to make sense out of that. Before '99 Silverado is a trim level that has nothing to do with mechanicals... same suspension/drivetrain across all trim levels. And all trim levels were available in 2wd or 4wd. Did you mean to say "4wd or 2wd, as flip is the same"?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
jasonroman

sorry to come off rude. i guess i just worded it wrong.
i didn't want to pay almost 400 for a 4x4 kit. and i read that i can get a 2x4 kit for the rear from a 98- silverado- for a buck and change and it would work. that was all.
Attached Images