The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
dug224

Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Ok...so I am starting over in the correct location for builds. Sorry for getting off on the wrong foot. I will restart with a photo of how my brother-in-law found the truck less than a half a mile from his home in Sacramento. More to come....
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Trying to get the hang of this.....

Photo from last night setting up truck for ride height and photo after I just got it power washed. Front grill is nearly perfect.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
Ok...so I am starting over in the correct location for builds. Sorry for getting off on the wrong foot. I will restart with a photo of how my brother-in-law found the truck less than a half a mile from his home in Sacramento. More to come....
No need for apologies. I thought this area would be more appropriate as you are in the early stages of your project. This is a better place for the longer term threads.
We are all pretty casual here. The uptight guys are on the F**d forums.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
_Ogre

it's still a sweet loking truck no matter what forum thread you post it in
what badge number is on the side? looks like 31 but it has 3/4 or ton axles in the 2nd pic

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
sgtusmc

ERRRR...another west coast jem taken to the east! haha

Now that I've gotten that out. Great looking truck you have there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
_Ogre

At least those Aussie 's didn't steal it off down under
Posted via Mobile Device

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
it's still a sweet loking truck no matter what forum thread you post it in
what badge number is on the side? looks like 31 but it has 3/4 or ton axles in the 2nd pic
When I got the truck, it had all NAPCO 4x4 suspension that was in quesitonable but possibly (??) good running condition. Wasn't sure and I wanted 2WD so I will sell.

After looking at your truck and others, decided to hand the front left fender and bed side and start looking at where I wanted to be. I believe I found a pretty good balance in the stance using the tires I got off of the Camaro. I will ultimately have painted steel wheels with hubcaps. May have to do some additional thinking and planning if I decide on a different wheel/tire combo size. As much as I like the little front/big back combo, I may stick with all four the same size since I do intend for this truck to be my daily driver. The stance shown has the bottom of the windshield and the bottom of the back window nearly level with each other and the front of the cab just under the door is 9.25 inches off the ground. Garage is not big enough for me to stand perpindicular to the side so I have to send these angled shots. The top of the rear tire is just under the bottom of the wheel openig.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
dug224

Quote:
When I got the truck, it had all NAPCO 4x4 suspension that was in quesitonable but possibly (??) good running condition. Wasn't sure and I wanted 2WD so I will sell.

After looking at your truck and others, decided to hand the front left fender and bed side and start looking at where I wanted to be. I believe I found a pretty good balance in the stance using the tires I got off of the Camaro. I will ultimately have painted steel wheels with hubcaps. May have to do some additional thinking and planning if I decide on a different wheel/tire combo size. As much as I like the little front/big back combo, I may stick with all four the same size since I do intend for this truck to be my daily driver. The stance shown has the bottom of the windshield and the bottom of the back window nearly level with each other and the front of the cab just under the door is 9.25 inches off the ground. Garage is not big enough for me to stand perpindicular to the side so I have to send these angled shots. The top of the rear tire is just under the bottom of the wheel openig.
Missed onthe photo selection. Found the one with NAPCO on the axle.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
ERRRR...another west coast jem taken to the east! haha

Now that I've gotten that out. Great looking truck you have there.
I will take care of it!!! Grew up out there. Everytime I go back I realize how much I miss seeing all the cars that would have rotted away long ago in Alabama.

Photo of the transport in my neighborhood. Not a great idea but Transport Guy did not destroy anything as far as I know. Transport Guy did not believe that the truck did not have brakes. He was so confident it did, he parked at the top of the hill. Needless to say, I had to back it off of the trailer and down the hill with my Hurricane Katrina '02 Highlander. Bought the fully loaded Highlander limited for $2900 in 05 after the hurricane. Replaced a few modules, power washed the carpet, replaced the seat track and soldered some wires. $1500 later I had a late model beater. Still driving it and it just turned 150k on the way home from Atlanta the other day.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
Kim57

Cool pics. The truck should look real nice when finished.
Kim
Old 03-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
sgtusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
At least those Aussie 's didn't steal it off down under
Posted via Mobile Device
Ogre, don't get me started. You really don't wanna know how I feel about these trucks going overseas.

dug224, It looks like a really solid truck. I'll be watching this build. Good luck on her.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
dug224

Got the enigine and transmission pulled out of the Jaguar this weekend. Still debating the late model LS option rather than the old school SBC.

Negotiting with a guy who wants to buy the NAPCO suspension including transfer case. Anyone have any idea what the total package is worth??
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
dug224

Quote:
Got the enigine and transmission pulled out of the Jaguar this weekend. Still debating the late model LS option rather than the old school SBC.

Negotiting with a guy who wants to buy the NAPCO suspension including transfer case. Anyone have any idea what the total package is worth??
Decided not to use the Chevy V8 out of the Jaguar. By the time I freshened the 700r4 and spend any money on the engine, i would be over half way toward the purchase of the low mileage late model LS with matching AT.

NAPCO Sold for $800. Good deal for both of us. Guy from Calif bought the stuff so at least part of the truck is going back to where it came from.

I visited the donor vehicle again on Friday. They had just started working on disassembly. Should have it by Monday. The good news is that I talked with the disassembler and conveyed to him what I needed for him to do which is to NOT destroy misc. other systems taking the body off. See photo of Donor.

Also, see photo of Dynacorn truck that inspired me.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
Kim57

I can see why your inspired by the Dynacorn truck.
I think you'll be real happy with the LS.
Kim
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
dug224

Visited the wrecking yard this evening. Frame is ready for delivery. Will be delivered on Thursday. Front horns are slilghtly bent from the wreck but damage appears to be localized in the first 6 to 8 inches. Should be easy to overcome. Everything in place including steering rack, trailer hitch and brake system. The master cylinder is connected to the hard lines using flexible SS lines which made it convenient for the guy taking it apart not to break the system. Even picked up he factory jack to go along with the never on the ground spare. Gas tank hose is in perfect place for the gas door I plan on installing on the outside of the fleetside bed.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
dug224

Frame has been delivered. No surprises so far. They did great job preserving the frame and components. Will pickup the pedal assembly and steering shaft that mounts to the top of the rack on Monday since they may actually be useable in the build. Trying to decide on the wheel tire combo so I start working on the stance. Looking at a 18"x8" factory wheel as shown below on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CHEVY-TRAI...2bc61f&vxp=mtr

Will run either a 245-45-18 (O.D. 26.7") or 245-50-18 (O.D. 27.7") to get close to the 1981 Z28 225-70-15 wheel/tire (O.D. 27.4") I was using earlier when I thought I was going with a Camaro clip. Will show more wheel with less tire than my early mockups.

Set the cab on the frame. Will have to cut 4 of the Trailblazer body mount brackets off this weekend so I can determine where the cab actually goes. Currently, the back of the cab hits two of the mounting brackets which keeps me from moving the cab forward and into place. Will calculate the weight of the sheetmetal and drive train front and back and once I get the wheels and tires in place, I will try to load the springs with sacks of concrete to simulate the weight. Any other spring loading ideas would be appreciated. Currently looks/feels like a lot of spring for the truck I am building. May end up changing them if too stiff.

The strange hump over the rear end on the passenger side I was going to try to get rid of is the spring mount top. Looks like I won't be getting rid of that piece.

If wheelbase is too short, I may consider shortening the bed by an inch or two. Could take it out of the side a few inches in front of the rear wheel opening.
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
Kim57

Pretty cool.
Kim
Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #18
dug224

Got the new in the box wheels with center caps off of ebay today. Seems like a good deal and was surprised they let them go so cheap. Paid $459 including shipping. Best price I could get from them over the phone was $580 with shipping. Tires to follow.

Mocked up the front fender and bed side on the stock GMC wheels and large stock tires. Hard to see past the bulkiness. Put white chalk on the part that will not be there when I get the smaller O.D. tires but it did not help much. The big dilemma will be the wheelbase. Shortening the bed by slicing an inch or two from in front of the rear wheel may not be so good visually. May have to commit to lengthening the frame. The good news about lengthening the frame is that it is constructed in two halves. Theoretically, grind the circular and linear welds and slide the front frame section forward. The guy who delivered it said they take them apart routinely. The frame sections overlap about 4.5" so I could get 2 to 3 inches out of it and weld a plate or two on the outside for strength.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Kim57

Looking good. Seems like a no brainer to lengthen the frame.
Kim
Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
55Cameo

Looks good. Like what you have going, will keep an eye out for progress
55Cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Looking good. Seems like a no brainer to lengthen the frame.
Kim
Thanks...This is a blast. Haven't had this much fun in a long time.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #22
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Cameo View Post
Looks good. Like what you have going, will keep an eye out for progress
Thanks...need all the support I can get. Man...you are up early out west.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #23
dug224

Quote:
Thanks...This is a blast. Haven't had this much fun in a long time.
Kim: By the way, thanks for blazing the trail on the LS install. I am sure I will be asking for help once I find one. Mine should not be that big of a deal in light of the fact that they put LS's in the T.B. frame already. Steering interference may be a challenger. Been looking for a 6.0l but they are kind of expensive. Will probably stick with the 5.3l cast iron block to keep it under budget. Aiming for a 2008 or newer with low miles.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #24
Kim57

Quote:
Kim: By the way, thanks for blazing the trail on the LS install. I am sure I will be asking for help once I find one. Mine should not be that big of a deal in light of the fact that they put LS's in the T.B. frame already. Steering interference may be a challenger. Been looking for a 6.0l but they are kind of expensive. Will probably stick with the 5.3l cast iron block to keep it under budget. Aiming for a 2008 or newer with low miles.
Thanks.
Bam and Tri5nerd had there LS's before I did and was a big part of the reason I went that way.
Mine came out of a T.B. so one should bolt right into your frame.
Kim
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Thanks.
Bam and Tri5nerd had there LS's before I did and was a big part of the reason I went that way.
Mine came out of a T.B. so one should bolt right into your frame.
Kim
I have been watching Bam and Tri5nerd for quite some time. The talent is immense.