The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2018, 03:07 AM   #1
Grizz1963

GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project~”

Hi all,

I have been on here a while, my 1966 C10 Fleetside is linked in the signature below.

My name is Rian and I moved to England in August 2002 from South Africa where I was born and grew up.

I like to tinker, and I love cars.

A lot right now will be COPY AND PASTE.

This is the story of........

A 1979 Chevy Blazer.

Rough as a Badgers Butt.

But would you buy it?

V8 Auto

Comments, opinions and suggestions welcome, feel free to add advice, and pointers, and if you know of spares etc...... let me know

Loooong story.

I took that photo in June 2016 when I saw it there while looking at a house with Nicola my ex wife and good friend before she left me.

I loved it then, but never went back, when I did it was gone.

Seller who had it now has been playing with it with his dad (seller is 50+) the last year or so, but had made its MOT (English yearly roadworthy test) test last year and is a driver. But only just.

It certainly is a 40 year old truck, but in the back of my head it could still be a donor for a body swap if all else failed.

All the “Dirtina” as a friend called it, is gone.

Paint is flat and ugly, rust repairs suck, and at least one large hole in the floor (which can be welded up again)

I am certain there will be lots more revealed over time.

Yes, it was parked there for 13 years growing fungus and moss on its glass fibre rear half.

Waiting for insurance company guys to open up so I can speak with a human.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A PROJECT........

I ASKED AROUND ON SOME ENGLISH FORUMS AND GOT VARIOUS REPLIES.

MOSTLY SUPPORTIVE.

Friend Disasterbus (Kerry) said: Personally I don't need it, it's too wide for my drive so I've nowhere to park it, I already have too many cars, I don't have the cash to spare, I don't have the skills to weld it up, I can't afford to run it, it doesn't have 4 seats and it simply isn't practical.

So, following that rational review my decision would be.......

Hell yeah, get it bought, get it home and worry about everything else later!!

It will fit my drive, just.

I have loads of space to park it.

I am selling Prozac, so need a car.

I have cash to spare, banks are not making it worth my while.

I have a new welder.

I can’t afford to run it, or maybe I can.......

It has four seats, technically 5

The rear converts to flatbed truck, tailgate drops, rear roof comes off.

Where do I deliver it???

So, if I were to buy this car.....

It’s name has already been given by DarrenH on here.

Tippex.

Guess why?

Quick video around it.

CLICK LINK.

https://youtu.be/sLldCzEizgo

Yup, it is a big thing.

Driving force.

And yes, aircon has been removed. No concern to me.

So now you have a better idea of what I am looking at.

Love the electric rear glass, operated from dash or with key in tailgate.

I have been looking at another vehicle to replace Prozac.......

Absolutely no reason to escalate my private motoring costs at all but the itch is always there.

Now we know that I have the 1966 C10 Chevy truck in “kit form” in my garage, and it is patient and I will get to it, in my own time.

Yes, really.

When I am ready.

Mate Martin gave me a heads up on a 1979 Chevy K5 Blazer in 2wd form last week (Thanks Mate #sarcastic mode) which I then went to see on the way home Friday night and again for more than two hours on Saturday afternoon. I have no interest in 4x4 cars at all.

Turns out that I saw this car in June 2016 and still have a photo I took at the time as I really liked it then.
But of course life, death and taxes plus a divorce got in the way.

I also started a question thread here: which has generated a lot of comments and opinions, all valid of course and much appreciated as I am the KING OF DITHERERS when it comes to this sort of thing.

Below a quote from Disasterbus with my responses to his points.

[quote author="@disasterbus" source="/post/2450544/thread" timestamp="1538210550"]Personally I don't need it, it's too wide for my drive so I've nowhere to park it, I already have too many cars, I don't have the cash to spare, I don't have the skills to weld it up, I can't afford to run it, it doesn't have 4 seats and it simply isn't practical.

So, following that rational review my decision would be.......

Hell yeah, get it bought, get it home and worry about everything else later!!
[/quote]

It will fit my drive, just.

I have loads of space to park it.

I am selling Prozac, so need a car.

I have cash to spare, banks are not making it worth my while.

I have a new welder.

I can’t afford to run it, or maybe I can.......

It has four seats, technically you can fit 5 people.

The rear converts to flatbed truck, tailgate drops, rear roof comes off

Where do I deliver it???

And no, it still was not enough motivation to get me to just randomly hand over cash. Even a half an hour on the phone to @kevfromwales had me thinking it’s a great idea. Yet I woke this morning wondering if this little Berlingo that has been running and performing faultlessly for 19 months as an adjunct to my company car Ford Focus for when dirty jobs needed doing, really needed to be replaced with a Big, Dirty, Nasty Fossil Fuel Guzzling Monster that would be costing me pretty much 10 times as much to run and own than the Berlingo.

Not the car in question, though it is American too.

Prozac stood in the background, truly Kicked to the Curb, looking on as I fawned over the bid smelly beast for hours.

Tailgate too drops, turning it into a cavernous skip on wheels.

Love the electric rear glass, operated from dash or with key in tailgate

Inside the rear bench can fold forward or be unbolted too.

Folded forward access via front passenger seat.

I spent about 30 minutes under it, and the only rust was this hole in the corner by the drivers footwell.

The rest of the underside is shockingly rustfree.

Fenders and hood, conversely are rough, rotten but absolutely functional.

This does not scare me. Couple of hours cutting, welding, undersealing and job done.

Where your wallet goes to get raped.

Current miles

Last edited by Grizz1963; 11-03-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #2
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Well, it’s raining outside.

The Blazer has been bought and brought home, a name to be decided when it’s made me smile more.

Did a 10 mile motorway drive this afternoon. It is very comfy cruising at 70mph indicated with more oooommmfff left to do overtaking in the fast lane.

Thank you all for the input, motivation, goading and sensible logic arguments put forward the last 12 days that saw me inside and under it three times trying to make up my dithering mind.

Prozac passed its MOT today as well, so a good day in all, albeit with an empty wallet to show for it all.

So..........

How does it feel?

This thing is at least 4 inches wider than the C10, which I used to reverse down the side of the house in one uninterrupted, if tight run.
This thing I had to readjust four times to get down past the house.

It is huge. Believe me.

I went down to the garage 20 minutes ago, just to go look at it again, and to start it up, and to sit in it, looking around, feeling it.

Then I burst out laughing at myself.

After which I proceeded to climb into the rear, going between the front seats, like a kid would..... yes, it’s that big.

Then I sat in the rear fold down bench seat that is actually a three seater, with seat belts, and again started to chuckle.

I saw where the rain comes in between the body and the fibre glass rear canopy, this is a known flaw, even from the factory 40 years ago..... so I may address it some time.

I did realise there are a few little things that can, but do not have to be done to and for this truck to make it nicer. But nothing has to be done, except for driving it and enjoying it. That’s the plan, honestly.

HAPPY ???

ME ??

HELL YEAHHH !!!

After buying it and doing the paperwork, Lee the owner agreed to drive it over home for me, and have his dad pick him up, his dad lives 4 miles from me. He has some spare wheels, seats etc for it.

But no Towbar, he removed and tossed it recently, so I need to find one........

First gas stop and certainly will not be the last time.

I drove ahead and then pulled over and stopped at a roundabout as I wanted to get a nice in motion photo of the Blazer passing by.

Not perfect, but you get the idea.

QUICK VIDEO OF THE ARRIVAL

Thanks Lee.

CLICK LINK.

https://youtu.be/cuhMP80xs8Q

After he went, I then took the truck and reversed it down the tight drive alongside the house.

Parked up awaiting attention.

Thread to be started some time for those interested in following this one.

Later guys
Old 11-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #3
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Few things......

Yesterday, Lee and his dad John came around by 12.00 to drop off the wheels and extra seats (originals) for the Blazer and also a dash mat, though the dash on this truck is unmarked and not cracked.

They were down at the garage for a while and we chatted cars.

John, who owned the Blazer and recommissioned it, told me about all the other stuff he had done to it over time, and reckons he could have as much as 200 hours into it. He certainly replaced quite a lot of stuff, that one does not always think of when recommissioning a car. And I am glad it’s all done already.

Just add fuel and drive.

Sounds a lot of time invested, but then you will see in a bit, what I got done over 4 hours late afternoon once I eventually made it to the garage for real, in fact I was busy for a minimum of 3 hours and have a bit of sheet metal to show for it.

A set of four alloys, which will be for sale, immediately as I like the steels on the truck.

Rear bench seat.......

Excellent condition. Getting stored for now.

Front seats, actually are the same height and in good, if grubby condition.

Weirdly, I still prefer the colour of the ones fitted to the truck.

Part of my time wasting in the morning was ironing 17 work shirts, doing laundry, cleaning house etc, a mans work is never done.

Then I pulled the Blazer forward from the garage and turned Prozac around and drove it head first into the property, I always reverse stuff down the side of the house.

And then a few pics, the left side of Prozac is lined up with the right side of the truck, just to show how much wider it is.

Yes, that is really how wide, though a bit of an optical illusion I guess.

By 2.00 pm Caleb who had looked after the cats came back from his two weeks in Europe, to collect his stuff as he had found a temporary job in London and a place near work to stay.

MY USA ROAD TRIP FOR 2018 REPORT: http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/...2018-humdinger

Once he had packed up and we had a coffee and catch up I took him to Rochester station in Prozac, for a guy claiming to live a gypsy life, he has a lot of stuff to carry. Van worked perfectly, again.

After dropping him off, I Reversed Prozac back and saw this in the mirror, made me smile.

By now it was 2.45 and I had a quick coffee and sandwich, then headed out to the garage to start looking at the “bit of rust” that I had seen and been shown when buying the Blazer.

I am under no illusions and was expecting more rust, randomly.

So there will be no surprises, rather pleasant discoveries of good sheet metal to work with and attach patches to.

Harley was looking on and I left the house.

Did she know something I did not??

More later on the closer inspection and smiles.

Last edited by Grizz1963; 11-03-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:56 AM   #4
Grizz1963

Insomnia Sucks.

Waking at 04.00 on a weekend sucks.

Waking to this does not suck.

Garage time today.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
Grizz1963

So on to the rust I knew would need to be addressed, not for MOT reasons, but rather for waterproofing and because I knew it was there.

So I undid the sill plate and removed that and folded the 40year old carpet and underfelt etc out the way after removing the door seal and rubbers.

Closer inspection showed that despite my expectations, it is another as bad as expected.

Clearly not a desert or new car.

Felt my butt being nudged and it was security cat wanting to inspect, Harley, she has always loved a new car and has to check them out.

Found some good fresh steel plate in the C10 cab, then washed the floor, scrapped and poked and actually hammered the rust before drawing music lines out where I felt the new metal needed to be let in.

Cut and measured the first replacement section.
Offered up.

Further cutting and shaping to get the angles and fill right.
Only good metal to good metal.

Edges on both sides of the patch panel cleaned up, ensures a much better went.

Then grind back the paint and rust on the floor in preparation for transferring the patch panel pattern.

Also some Vactan planned for the pock marked shallow damage.

Some welding and some rust converter planned here, worked well on the C10

Next up will be transfer of the pattern to the floor before cutting the rot out, followed by welding and primer.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
Grizz1963

Sharpie in hand, time to trace the patch panel out.

While all this was going on, Security cat had decided to get comfy, on the job.

First welding job was to do then30mm upright for the side kick panel, they rust out in the bottom corner and you need to replace that steel too.

Easier to weld in some metal, than another fold, if your steel is not that wide.

Technically the outside, and awaiting weld through primer before it all gets welded in.

Inside

And in place.

I will probably only cut the floor and weld this in by next weekend.

Unless I get time, which is unlikely as it’s another week from a dark place.

Later.

[quote author="@shielsy68" source="/post/2452958/thread" timestamp="1539042120"][img src="http://img.retro-rides.org/i/v/shielsy68/b6b28177be48.jpg"]

i was bought a pair

[/quote]
Old 11-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
Wikid61
Post Whore

Bravo. I have a much rustier '81 2wd to revive. The coil springs can be replaced w/a pair of 3/4 ton w/one wrap cut off to net a 2" drop & firmer ride.
Wikid61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikid61 View Post
Bravo. I have a much rustier '81 2wd to revive. The coil springs can be replaced w/a pair of 3/4 ton w/one wrap cut off to net a 2" drop & firmer ride.

Thank you for the reply.

Do you have a thread on your 2WD?

Seems they are not that common in the USA

Ohhh, and I was in your backyard in September.

All too soon, we were in Amish country.

Street name, indicating county/State lines and motorway.

Another state.

Headed for Oskaloosa.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
Wikid61
Post Whore

BLIMEY! Small world. I stop at an Amish owned store & purchase food every now & then. And this trip to Oskaloosa I was there last fall several trips to purchase (3) 455 Buick, (1) 500 Cadillac & (1) 472 Cadillac engines. The 472 is likely going into said '81 Blaze. No build thread yet. But have made purchases of gas tank & sending unit, front brake overhaul kit. As a well as a PST front suspension kit. It was OG black w/a Highland interior. Amazing that your travels lead you here.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
Wikid61
Post Whore

1970 El Dorado 500 motor in the foreground. The floor boards are SWISS CHEESE in all but the trans tunnel.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2018, 02:33 AM   #11
Grizz1963

Quote:
BLIMEY! Small world. I stop at an Amish owned store & purchase food every now & then. And this trip to Oskaloosa I was there last fall several trips to purchase (3) 455 Buick, (1) 500 Cadillac & (1) 472 Cadillac engines. The 472 is likely going into said '81 Blaze. No build thread yet. But have made purchases of gas tank & sending unit, front brake overhaul kit. As a well as a PST front suspension kit. It was OG black w/a Highland interior. Amazing that your travels lead you here.
If you look at my road trip reports you will see that miles and geography does not stop me.

Been inside at Gas Monkey Garage for three hours visiting, managed to help for a day on a SEMA Truck (Boosted Bertha) and various other places I could only dream of.

This year I got invited to Kelderman Engineering in Oskaloosa, and also spent some time with my friend Ray and his wife Eve in Monroe, Iowa.

Looks like you have loads of good stuff stashed away though.

Over here everything is a battle and very costly to get.

Price you see, then add international shipping, taxes, and import duties on it all.

We pretty much work on double the price.

And to import a car over 40 years will cost an additional $3000.00 to get it on your driveway. Newer stuff is even more.

Quote:
1970 El Dorado 500 motor in the foreground. The floor boards are SWISS CHEESE in all but the trans tunnel.
Looks like you have space......

If I had more space here...ll
Old 11-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
Irish1941

I meant to give you this link a while ago.
https://www.us-army-military-shop.de.../K30:::68.html Most of their stuff is GM but some is reproduction so watch what you are ordering.
They might have some of the odds and ends you need.
As for the interior panels, I might be able to help you out. I made some up for myself and members here & could maybe do some kind of blueprint for you.
Irish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #13
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1941 View Post
I meant to give you this link a while ago.
https://www.us-army-military-shop.de.../K30:::68.html Most of their stuff is GM but some is reproduction so watch what you are ordering.
They might have some of the odds and ends you need.
As for the interior panels, I might be able to help you out. I made some up for myself and members here & could maybe do some kind of blueprint for you.
Thank you very much.

That is great.

Please post up more about the panels. I am happy with the one side I made up, but hey..... they are just the start.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #14
Grizz1963

[quote author="@darkspeed" source="/post/2456238/thread" timestamp="1540231731"][font size="6"]Projekt paint [/font]- well it fecking made me chuckle.[/quote]

Remember this.....?? My 1966 C10 fender

Looks like a world of pain to me.

Very few people got it.

So always good to see who reads the lines and between the lines.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #15
Grizz1963

Continuing on the food theme, once I was onto beer number two, the starters got to us.

Main course was even better and desert.......? A Twister each.

After a great day in the garage, pretty much on my own, the evening spent with Joy was lovely, eventually got to bed by midnight and my friend insomnia stayed away till 5.30 which was a good night, up by 06.00 to feed Harley and up reading and writing.

By 10.00 mate Henry got here from Romford,

As can be expected, he brought provisions and tools (spring compressors)

Earlier on, before Henry got here I did a few jobs.

Measured the wheels and body height.

Front

Rear.

Then a lot of, well, two generous coats of this gloop.

Over the primer and two coats of Zinc spray from Saturday, plus the seam sealer.

Resulting in this underside, a great improvement imho.

Getting back to the top of the truck, outer sills and floor.

I had destroyed the plastic sill with the welding heat, so pulled it off.

Then Martin to the rescue again.

Old MX5 sills, also needing some trimming to fit and rebadging.

And as mentioned.......

This is not a project.

I am super pleased with the final outcome of the floor.

Really pleased.

Did I mention I was pleased with that floor.....?
Old 11-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
Grizz1963

Once Henry and I had a coffee and a chat plus did a short list of tasks to get to for the day, we headed down to the garage.

Decided to raise the rear end and fit the new rear shocks.....

This is Henry’s happy face.

OCD (One Chance Dude)

When he came up for air after looking in under the truck.

So what have we got here....??

Next to the license plate.

Pipes....... WTF??

So it seems we have an adjustable rear air assisted shock combo with the springs fitted.

The whole rear end was upgraded so that the truck could tow when it was used by John to do European trips.

We dropped the rear and started on the front.

Plan was to lubricate all the nipples, replace the front springs and shocks and reassemble at a more decent ride height.

While under the front end, I measure the existing springs, they came up as 11 inches or about 280mm

The springs PaulY gave me we’re part of a performance upgrade pack, and measure in at 17 inches.

So surgery will certainly be on the books.

Here are the specifications of a standard spring, only 13 inches it seems.

Ultimately, we could not get the lower ball joint to release, hammers, splitter etc.....

So we eventually gave up, reassembled the front end and @PaulY will be over next weekend to help me again, possibly putting much more calculated force into splitting the ball joints.

So once the tools were cleaned up, front end on the ground, another coffee and chat, we decided to quickly tackle the rear side panels that I had made and prepared through the week.

Each fitted a side........

Thankful to say that Captain OCD went in with a cloth and a tin of furniture polish to liven up the vinyl.

Happy boy for sure.

Tailgate, glass, carpet and fabric cleaned up, thenspare wheel and great little tool bag for jack, fanbelts, pipes and a few spare bits back the rear.

I really do not think that the red looks that red in there now.

On Sunday evening Dez Stringer posted up this pic, in there was a spare part for the truck, kindly donated by Kerry From Wales.

So a great weekend all in and as far as I am concerned, a lot achieved.

Thank you all for looking in and your comments.

Roll on Saturday.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
Grizz1963

Well.....

What a good day today turned out to be.

I discovered a supply of this........

One of my all time favourites, and I do not care about anyone else’s feelings, opinions, and advice, unless it is on where to find more

This is my emotional link with the USA

Got a message from a friend in Siberia.

Stas has sent me something by post, amazing weather they are having, yes I guess it is winter.

While this was what my car said when I got back to it in the afternoon.

Unseasonably warm weather for the first week of November

Later guys.

I trust some of you are interested in seeing the progress and random updates on the Blazer ??
Old 11-07-2018, 04:28 AM   #18
Grizz1963

Sunday evening I headed over to mate Martin to collect a table in Prozac.

From there it was over to Joys place for dinner and a dog walk.

200 meters up the street from her house was a pile of what looks like new carpet and foam underfelt.

Prozac of course hit the brakes without me even trying, so I loaded a piece of each.

Not the greatest colours........

Harley inspected and approved

So WTF and WHY ?

Looking at the original 40year old carpets in the truck, 98% of it is good.

But the drivers side has this damage and rot.

Looks like this if you lay it all flat.

So I have enough to cover the whole front half of the truck including the rear foot wells.

Do I just cut a wide strip to lay over the transmission hump and both front foot wells or remove the seats and lay it over all the existing carpet, or number three.... do I remove the original carpet and automotive underfelt, sound deadening and replace the 40year old sound deadening with some fresh new deadening pads? And then lay my residential underfelt and ugly blue carpet.
Or just leave it as it is?

Too many questions.

JohnnyBravo suggested I go ghetto with the valves on the truck.

I have a bunch of shotgun shells that will work on the wheel nuts too.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:31 AM   #19
Grizz1963

Some more Artsy-Fartsy thinking required.

The truck has a grey fabric roof liner in the front above driver and passenger section, held in place with a bunch of pins.

So, I bought this blanket last year some time at a Bootfair.

So do I sacrifice it or put it away?

The plan is to remove and spray the rear glassfibre canopy in white Rhino liner on the outside and black on the inside, keeping it as it is, and just adding texture.

Let’s see what you guys who know, think.

Got home from London tonight and found a box in front of the kitchen door

Wooooot !!

Unpacked it and looked at what Ł320.00 buys you when you are building a “Not a project” car.

Remember last weekend Henry and I could not get the lower ball joint to release, despite loads of gentle and not so gentle wallops with big hammers.

So @PaulY volunteered to come over next Saturday and use his mechanical know how of hammer blows to remove the lower ball joints so that I could get the replacement springs in.

While chatting, we decided to replace the lower control arm ball joints, swiftly followed by me making a judegement call and deciding to replace upper control arm ball joints, tie rod ends, all the rubber bushes, wheel bearings, seals and front disc brake pads.

AS THESE HAVE MOSTLY NEVER BEEN REPLACED.

This should ensure an improved drive, handling and hopefully also the MOT for the next few years.

I am getting the feeling more and more that this truck has actually only done 105k miles in its life, and being from California the lack of terminal rust on sheetmetal, and all the chrome looking as good as it does points in that direction. I could also be completely wrong.

Anyway, hopefully, weather and rusted nuts permitting, we may have a rebuilt/serviced front end by Saturday evening.

So there you go.

A list and pile of parts to make this Blazer even better than it is now.

Maybe this is now becoming a Project.

Later.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #20
Grizz1963

Those of you following Dennis’ 1930’s gas station build on Prozacs thread may have wondered about it.

It continues for him, between day job and being variously occupied by life.

Inside, held up by electrician.

Back on the Blazer, Glen Anderson suggested I do the must do’s first and then the like to’s

So rather than do a whole bigncarpet job, I glued some of the thin red carpet under the torn pieces to keep it all together.

Then just cut some chunks of the house carpet to make runners and topped with a rubber mat.

QC passed.

Another small job done.

Got a WhatsApp message from mate Ricky who bought my 66 C10 Chrome Smoothies a few years ago today.

Hey mate, I have these rubber mats, would you like them for the Blazer?

For the cost of collection at Bluebell Hill tonight?

Hell Yeahhhhh!!!!

Quick scrub, bit of soap, dry them, furniture polish to bring back the like new sheen, and Bobs your Aunty.

Genuine GM items.

Chuffed with that, Thanks a lot mate.

And while we are at shiny stuff.....

Stainless, laser cut.

Or this one 🚐🦖

Off to go fetch some rubber mats.

I have taken the day off work tomorrow to stay home and play.

Anyone fancy a cuppa, you know where to find me...... PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #21
Grizz1963

Dark

Dismal

Wet

Foggy

Cold

Day………..

All the good intentions shoved firmly under the carpet.

I had planned on using my “lunch break” to go unpack the shed and get some tools out.

Failed dismally as it was wet and drizzly down there.

Mate Fil “Sparkplug” did do a quick photoshop early morning.

Remember the cracks on the bonnet/hood.??

Well, I gave it some thought and came to the conclusion that a pair of stickers may make life a lot easier.

Final design still open to editing and suggestions.

But you get the idea.

Weekend weather is forecast to get colder, so maybe not as much fun as one would like.

But hey………..…..

Keep hoping.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #22
Grizz1963

Thank you all for the responses so far.

This really is a great community to be part of.

Thought I would add the last two renderings in orange.

I like this too.

And inverted

In my opinion Sinclair vs 76 Union orange roof vs last Bigtruk Grey bottom are the SHORTLIST

WHATSAMANTODO ??

[quote author="@deano123" source="/post/2454709/thread" timestamp="1539633719"]Sinclair one is sweet. Isnt that petrol pump you made got Sinclair logo etc on it?[/quote]

Close.

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/...ca-retro-build

This

Other side......

Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #23
Grizz1963

Suspension bushes, front and rear, excluding U.K. import duty, tax and shipping.

Need an airplane carrier or courier.

Took me two hours to do 30 miles home tonight which is always frustrating, as I lost an hour of garage time.

As Stas in Siberia observed, I seem to spend a lot of time there, but it’s just about using the time I get to get stuff done.
It’s a return to the real me.

So after work, I was straight down to the garage, assistant security cat leading the way.

Opened the Chevy up and got going making up a patchwork cardboard template for the rear body side panels, they seem to have been gone a long time.

Cutting, fitting, fettling cardboard, eventually sorted

Patchwork template with ply.

Quick Castscan to ensure all is good.

Note, shoes...l,l

6 foot by 2 foot tall.

Shows you how deceptive these things are.

Job done.

Next up will be to finish and sand the edges and screw to the body.

Then add the thin red automotive carpet.

Should work well with upholstery and Sinclair colours.

Bed time.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #24
Grizz1963

RIIIIIIGGHHHHTT......

Having done all the thinking around the graphics, and settling on either the Green Sinclair or Orange 76 Union design, my next question is this.

[font color="19e644"][font size="5"]Would you buy this truck, were it painted or covered in vinyl like that.

HONEST ANSWERS ONLY.[/font][/font]

THANK YOU.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
Grizz1963

Bunch of small things came together yesterday.

Seam sealer mate Martin had ordered off eBay for me, arrived. Bulk buys work out cheaper.
To be used once all the welding is done.

Supposed to be good and not crack, the stuff on th C10 has cracked.

Then some underbody sealer.

And once all is done, every cavity, doors, tailgate and bed sides are all getting a load of this stuff too.

That should keep my head happy on a 40year old.

It won’t stop rust, or any existing stuff, but hopefully slow it all down.

For the wood panels and carpeting on the sides, spray glue which is said to be easier to work with than brush on, on larger surfaces.

While in the garage last night, I also sanded down and trimmed back the ply side panels.

Next job is to trim the top and bottoms by 5-10mm to get an easy fit in order to screw them down on the mounting plates and top edge, after which I will precut the red carpet and prep it for glue.

I plan on glueing over the screws once placed, but to leave it unglued around the screws with just tension keeping the carpet flat there.that way I can access the screws but not see them once mounted.

I have always disliked the open headed flat chrome screws in hotorod door panels etc.

I think I have a dinner date tonight, so may not get around to getting anything done.

But always optimistic I can find an hour or so to go play.