The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
GMCJOE

Installed the Nelson Performance tune

I received my Nelson Performance tuned PCM and TCM yesterday. Took about 5 minutes to removed the old and install the new, including disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up. The only pain, was the security relearn. Took 5 ten minute sessions before I was able to start it. So, if you plan on doing a mail order tune I would suggest contacting them and mailing your's in.

Upon startup, I noticed better throttle response. The exhaust notes sound way better. Shifts are more firm than before. Although, I haven't drove it far because of the very small military post I live one, I did notice more power in higher RPM's. I still have to take it to a dealership for the crankshaft position sensor relearn. So, I expect it to open up with that and some more road time.

Going in for a tune or mailing in your stuff will prevent the security and crankshaft sensor relearn.

So far, I am satisfied. And the 3 free tunes a year for as long as you own the vehicle is great.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
GMCJOE

Re: Installed the Nelson Performance tune

So, this morning I take my truck out into Brooklyn to get the crank sensor relearn done, and the first shop I had talked to earlier in the week didn't have a scan tool that would do it. Got sent to another, the guy was scared to do it because his belief is that the truck wouldn't run if the engine light was on for it. He was also amazed that I switched out the computer and couldn't grasp the concept of performance tuning. How is this guy in business!?! He then referred me to another shop to a guy named Smiley, which was closed. After all this time, I had worked my way almost to the only GM dealership in Brooklyn, New York. Well, you guessed it. I went to the dealership.

After waiting 3hrs, they final got around to doing the 5 minute relearn. And for a bunch of city folk, they sure loved the hell out of my country truck. The tech and service desk dude was very impressed with power out put. I heard the tires chirp 2 or 3 times when getting moved out of the tech's bay.

3 hrs and a $100 later, I am very impressed with the end result of the tune. Throttle response is great, no lag from throttle to moving. Definitely a new found "put your ass in the back of the seat feeling". When I got on the highway fro the exit ramp, I stomped the throttle down to get in front of the car on the road. Needless to say, it was no longer at my rear bumper with a quickness.

I highly recommend Nelson Performance for your tuning needs.

On a side note, I cannot wait till I am done with recruiting duty so the Army will get me out of this forsaking city. I have no patience for this city life.

2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
buffle
buffle

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. The diablew tune is all electronic , done thru your computer with no extra charges.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
GMCJOE

Only a pain because of being located in NYC. And I am still under the package deal diablew offers. Plus it is a more indept tune, especially if you go to the shop. On top of it, any additional tune I want done for upgrades are free for the time I own the truck. Best deal on the market IMO. And like I said, to avoid doing the security and sensor relearn, take in your truck or send in your computer.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The EFI Live tune that we did to my 2011 GMC truck took 45 minutes. The computer guru and I spent some time setting the computer up for the different size tires that I was running, the fuel cut off is not so high that it is non-existent, and the tranny shift points are so much more firm it is now a good feeling to drive. He is available any time that I want to do some changes and updates.

GMC Joe, since you are in the NY area you might look in at New Era Performance. They are in your area of the country (Rochester, NY) and they do computer tunes and handle products for our trucks.

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/