The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Low87
been here longer than Liz

tire pressure sensor bad

Dash display give me a warning that the left rear tire pressure is low. It shows it at 0, once it showed 12. Actual tire gauge reads 42. How hard is it to replace the sensor?

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Dalaigh
Canadian Trucker

Re: tire pressure sensor bad

If you have the owners manual, there is a section in there on how to reprogram the TPMS once they are installed. But, I'm told it can be a pain. Or go to the dealer and have them do it, they'll do it in the parking lot in about 5 mins. As for replacing the TPMS, you will need to remove the tire from the rim. It'll cost more, but I recommend replacing all of them, because they run on batteries and once one goes, the rest aren't gonna last that much longer.

2020 Silverado Trail Boss - 6.2/10spd
Dalaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
4x4toy

If the sensor is not reading the correct pressure it needs to be replaced. To replace the tire needs to be broken from the bead. Then all sensors will need to be relearned.
Posted via Mobile Device
05 GMC Sierra 2500hd Duramax
4x4toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
sleepertruck72

To replace the sensor is easy if you have a tire machine. Just remove the Schrader valve break the bead. You should be able to remove the sensor without removing the tire. You shouldn't have to re-balance the tire that way.

The relearn can be done by following the instructions in the owners manual (if available) I have done a few by... Depress parking brake, turn key to the on position with engine off, turn headlights on/off 4 times within 3 seconds, horn should chirp once or twice ...the service tire monitor may display on the dash.. start with the left front tire. add or release air from the schraeder valve for ten seconds and stop.. horn should honk, repeat at right front tire, after honk, repeat steps at right rear, after honk repeat steps at left rear. Horn should honk twice if completed within the time limit. I believe its like 5 minutes to complete process.

There is another version where the parking brake is set, ignition is in the on position engine off, depress the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob and that initiates the process... I think that's the 08 and newer...
Good luck ! I had one that read 0 psi and after driving the truck for a few miles it read the air pressure just fine... maybe I just got lucky
Old 02-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
C10chevy1966

Mine is doin that right now but its reading 30 psi in the front driver side
C10chevy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
1slo_camaro

If you have a local tire shop, they should have a little computer I could get you the tool number but will be a few weeks of the one I use at my shop and like stated you deflat the tire pop the bead right at where the tpms sensor is, its simply screwed in (should be a 10mm) be careful not to drop the sensor inside the tire and replace (most sensors if im not mistaken are roughly 50-80$) Then the shop will use the tpms sensor reader to reprogram the sensors. or the steps stated above work as well

1998 Jeep ZJ 4.5 lift 32s full bolt ons awaiting axles

"Life is full of decisions, we make them and dont look back"
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Special-Ed

some tire pressure sensors do not have removable schrader valves... you have to release the stem nut and push it in...

TPSS are not DIY.. unless you have a tire machine, balancer and the little rf tool needed to reset and calibrate... its gonna cost you about 100 bucks for part and labor to replace just 1... zero reason to replace all of them...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Smallz72project

Special-Ed, you incorrect in your statement about some sensors don't have removable schrader valves. Every sensor has a removable valve, if you find you have one that will not come out, it is due to the valve being corroded to the sensor stem itself. At which point yes to remove any air for tire repair/replacement, one must unscrew the sensor nut (as long as that isnt corroded as well) and push the entire sensor inside the rim. But not all GM's come with a screw in sensor, most are snap in. You pull a rubber sensor stem in like normal and then can screw the sensor onto the bottom of it. If someone came into my shop and needed all four sensors replaced it would only run them roughly (without looking up the exact sensor cost) $250. The batteries in these sensors at only good for 6-7 years, so if you have an older vehicle its not a bad idea to do all of them if you have one go out, but it isnt needed, you can just replace them one at a time. Part number on the snap in replacement is EZ 33000B.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
Special-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz72project View Post
Special-Ed, you incorrect in your statement about some sensors don't have removable schrader valves. Every sensor has a removable valve, if you find you have one that will not come out, it is due to the valve being corroded to the sensor stem itself. At which point yes to remove any air for tire repair/replacement, one must unscrew the sensor nut (as long as that isnt corroded as well) and push the entire sensor inside the rim. But not all GM's come with a screw in sensor, most are snap in. You pull a rubber sensor stem in like normal and then can screw the sensor onto the bottom of it. If someone came into my shop and needed all four sensors replaced it would only run them roughly (without looking up the exact sensor cost) $250. The batteries in these sensors at only good for 6-7 years, so if you have an older vehicle its not a bad idea to do all of them if you have one go out, but it isnt needed, you can just replace them one at a time. Part number on the snap in replacement is EZ 33000B.
You are wrong. One would think they would all have remove able schrader valve. I can tell you first hand my suburban does not have remove able schrader valves.

The guy at discount tire tried and tried and finally he broke the damn thing. Zero threads and the shrader valve from the factory was installed from the back side.
So my slow leak screw in my tire cost me a new tps ... I was pissed.
All 4 of my sensors are the same way. And my replacement also does not have a removable valve.

My stems are some kind of metal or maybe even plastic or some kind of polymer
They are not rubber.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
Smallz72project

Id like to see these sensors, whats the part number? I work at the largest tire dealer in the northwest, I see hundreds of cars a week, and have worked on every year Suburban that sensors have been installed from the factory, and have replaced sensors on every year....not once have I ever seen one that didn't have a removable schrader valve unless due to corrosion. I find it hard to believe that you have the only vehicle with such a sensor. Even when googling it, I come up with nothing in regards to any sensor not being able to remove the valve. Until you provide a part number for said sensor, I stand by my statement of you being incorrect. I'll order in those sensors to see for myself...if I am wrong (which Im betting Im not) I will send them to you no charge just incase it happens again.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote