The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Chvy2NV

PLEASE HELP Mcgaughys URGENT

I started lowering my crew cab yesterday and I seem to have run into quite a few problems with my mcgaughys lowering kit. I'll start off by saying I've lowered plenty of cars/ trucks in the past but this is my first nnbs that I have lowered. Im using the mcgaughys 24070 which comes with the adjustable struts and flip kit. I was able to do the front with no issues but was bit lost when it came to the flip kit. The kit came with absolutely no instructions at all. So I'm not sure what the process entails. It looks like either the gas tank, trailer hitch, and possibly the whole rear end has to come out in order to flip the leaf springs.

THE FRONT: I installed the shocks and used no rings. I'm running a 305/35/24 tire all around and didn't expect for the truck to go down as low as it did. Wheel is tucked.. Obviously with that tire size. The truck is rubbing on the inner fender to the point it barely can drive straight. Forget trying to turn.

Ive been wanting to change out my 24's for a set of some 22" stock replicas to. Get a smoother ride. (not sure what tire size I need)

THE REAR: after trying to figure out how to remove the leaf pack for 30 minutes, I realized the previous owner had leveled the rear using some longer shackles and they weren't going to work with the mcg kit.

Here's what I think I'll need.
* Instructions for rear
* Stock shackles
* Raise the the front
* correct rim and tire size.
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: PLEASE HELP Mcgaughys URGENT

Do you mean part # 34070?
http://www.mcgaughys-suspension.com/...ys-part-34070/
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

IF your rear kit came ith new shackle hanger brackets,... you have to remove the rivets in the stosk rear hangers and install the new hangers with bolts.
Then you flip the stock rear shackles upside down.
The gas tank side leaf spring bolt will be an issue.
I usually buy a new bolot from GM.
Cut the head off the original bolt and drive the bolt out away from the gas tank.
Then install the new bolt backwards from original.

Normally you can leave the front bolts alone.
Just unbolt the rearend and move it to the right and drop the left leaf spring.
Then move it back to the left and drop the right leaf spring.
This will get the rearend on top of the leaf springs.
The emergency brake cables make this not too much fun,... but it is do-able.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Chvy2NV

Thanks Keith. Yea that's what I meant. 34070. I need a set of stock shackles.
What do you suggest I do for the front.
Also. Will I have any issues with the driveline angle ?
Trying to also figure out what rim / tire combo.
Thanks for replying bud.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I answered quickly.
But there must be an install thread somewhere online.
They've been doing these drops since 2007.
What exact drop are you looking for?
4/6 or 4/7 oe 5/7?

Personally,... you have to have the correct backspace wheel to tuck a big wheel up front.
I suggest a total wheel/tire change,... or a shorter tire for your currect wheel.
Most aftermarket wheels don't have enough backspace to tuck without getting into custom order billet wheels.
Companies like Michigan Metal Works or Ekstensive Metalworks,... have bag kits with shorter a-arms to pull the wheels in,... but I don't know about static dropped trucks.
Either way,... I bet you have to raise the front some.
Look around on www.gmfullsize.com.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1006t...erado_buildup/

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Chvy2NV

Yea I saw that article last night. I doesn't really get into details. I think they don't want to scare people away.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
LEEVON

On the front, my best advice is to get on performancetrucks.net and gmfullsize.com and do some research on drop vs. tire size. Put the rings back on if you're not sure. Also, when you dropped it, you got excessive negative camber which will be taken out when it is aligned, so you will gain SOME clearance, but you'll have to determine that. That's a whole lot of tire to expect to clear that much drop. You can do some simple mods to the liner if needed.

On the rear, you can do the flip without removing the gas tank or cutting the bolt. Drop the rear hangers, support the rear end and disconnect the parking brake cable and drive shaft. Using a floor jack, swing the rear end as far back and to the passenger side as you can, which will allow you to drop the hanger past the outside of the hub. Then swing it back to the driver's side and do the same with the other leaf.

Removing the rivets will be a pain, cut an "x" with a cut off wheel, knock the heads off with an air hammer and punch them out. You also have to remove the rear bump stop supports welded to the frame. Be careful! If you try and chisel them off it will not work, best bet is just to cut them even with the bottom of the frame with a sawzall.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Chvy2NV

Yea. I'm on both sites. Been researching all day. The rear doesnt seem to bad after having a general idea on how to go about it. Thanks to you and Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
On the front, my best advice is to get on performancetrucks.net and gmfullsize.com and do some research on drop vs. tire size. Put the rings back on if you're not sure. Also, when you dropped it, you got excessive negative camber which will be taken out when it is aligned, so you will gain SOME clearance, but you'll have to determine that. That's a whole lot of tire to expect to clear that much drop. You can do some simple mods to the liner if needed.

On the rear, you can do the flip without removing the gas tank or cutting the bolt. Drop the rear hangers, support the rear end and disconnect the parking brake cable and drive shaft. Using a floor jack, swing the rear end as far back and to the passenger side as you can, which will allow you to drop the hanger past the outside of the hub. Then swing it back to the driver's side and do the same with the other leaf.

Removing the rivets will be a pain, cut an "x" with a cut off wheel, knock the heads off with an air hammer and punch them out. You also have to remove the rear bump stop supports welded to the frame. Be careful! If you try and chisel them off it will not work, best bet is just to cut them even with the bottom of the frame with a sawzall.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
buffle
buffle

I have this kit on my "13", stock wheels and tires do limit turning radius slightly. But the tire rub on the plastic inner fender does no damage. I just would not do any road course racing until I changed something.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
Low Elco

Thanks for asking-good stuff to know.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #12
Chvy2NV

well guys. Ive been busy the past few days and havnt had time to give you an update.. With LEEVON and LoLife99's tips and pointers my buddy and I decided to tackle the flip kit and got it done with no issues.. that being said
I still dont understand how MCG doesnt have detailed instructions posted on their website or at all for that matter.

I still have a few minor bugs to fix. seems im having some driveline vibrations up around 55-65 mph. but since im going to be replacing the 24" wheels with possibly some 22's soon I havnt aligned it yet.

I also think some helper bags are in my near future. heres what she looks like.