The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #101
forestb

Re: Forest's rebuild thread

thanks
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #102
forestb

old photo
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #103
forestb

Thought I would give you all an update. I thought I would be getting my truck back this Saturday but last Saturday the windshield installer came and tried to install the front windshield. Turns out that the weather stripping I got was for the window without trim instead of the one with. I ordered the right part and it even had the right part number on the bag but the wrong part in the bag. They were supposed to send me a return label for it yesterday but it has not arrived. They don't want to send me a new one until they receive the old one. Sow now the delivery date is being pushed back. In the mean time the hood has been installed and progress on the wiring has been made.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #104
forestb

Went and visited my truck today. All that is left before I get it back is for it to be buffed out. I should have it back by the end of next week. Here are some poor quality photos.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #105
forestb

1 more
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #106
forestb

And another
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #107
forestb

Now I am playing the waiting game. We had someone all lined up to buff out the paint because it sat in the paint shop for to long but that person has disappeared. Now we are trying to find a new guy. It was supposed to be finished today but now it looks like it will not be.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #108
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Nice color.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #109
forestb

Started varnishing my bed wood on Saturday. It started to bubble a little at the surface. Thinking it is because of heat. Will nock it down with some steel wool and give it another coat.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #110
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
old photo
Maybe you posted before, what are your wheels size and type? I like the look.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 08-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #111
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Maybe you posted before, what are your wheels size and type? I like the look.
They are wheel vintique 17x8 inch rally wheels with the standard back spacing .
Old 08-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #112
LostMy65

Thanks
I'm anxious to see what they look like with the trim rings and caps on with your blue.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 08-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #113
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Thanks
I'm anxious to see what they look like with the trim rings and caps on with your blue.
I am sorry to let you down but I am planning on painting them white. Still trying to figure out if I want to run the same trim rings and caps.

I should be getting the truck back today.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #114
forestb

Got her back yesterday
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #115
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Oh yeah, that is nice!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #116
62stepside longbox

Man she looks great! Wish mine was that far along
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #117
The1960APE

Looking fantastic!!!!!
The1960APE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #118
forestb

I started putting her back together today. When I got her back the transmission was not engaging unless I got the rpm's really high. Filled it with 4 quarts and is now working. Before I got it painted it had a slight league. I guess after sitting for a year and a half it lost a lot of fluid. While filling her up I noticed my new electric radiator fan was not coming on. Turns out that the thermostat was not working. While trying to figure out why the fan was not working I saw that my inner fenders were not fully bolted to the core support. Also noticed that the rear of the front fender was not bolted down.

I did get my old seat back in for the time being. While doing that I saw that two of my seat belt bolt holes had been welded shut.

In other news I got my rear bumper, sun visors, arm rests, rear and side view mirrors installed and put my searing wheel on correctly.

I have a long list of things to do and with every one I check off, I seem to add two more.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #119
forestb

I am getting really tired of this bed wood. I am thinking of going a completely different direction and doing something custom I am looking to use a flat sheet of sheet mettle that I can place a set of stainless strips on top of. I would powder coat the sheet of mettle white. to mach the inside of the bed. Just an idea I am toying with.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #120
forestb

I have gotten a lot of little things done over the last couple of weekends sense I got the truck back.

1) changed the location to the thermostat for the electric fan from the back of the intake manifold to a port in my thermostat housing. I was not turning on until the engine got up to 220 degrees when it was in the back of the manifold.

2) Added trans fluid so that the trans would start working and it did.

3) installed a set of stainless visors over my head lights. I am still undecided about them. Pictures to come.

4) Installed rear bumper and license plates. Tried to wire the light for the rear license plate and that did not work. I am getting power but I think the bulb is bad.

5) Added blinker lights to my dash. They work but I scratched up my dash bezel while doing so. I will have to get it repainted when I take the truck back to the painter to get some problems fixed.

6) Installed all the brackets that attach the cor support to the grill surround.

7) Tightened all the bolts on the front inner fenders that the painter did not tighten down all the way. Plus the bolt at the rear of the front fender that he did not put in at all.

Trying to figuring out the wiring has been a pain sense the guy that installed the harness used a universal type harness so there are a lot of extra coils tucked into different places. It seems like with everything I get done I fid 2 more things to do.

I cant install my old seat belts because they need two holes in the floor and one was welded shut. The new belts only require one hole in the floor so I have to save my pennies until I can afford to get those. So until then I can not drive the truck.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #121
forestb

New seat belts and old seat. She is now ready to drive on the street after over a year.
Also worked on the timing.
Included a couple of new photos. I am still trying to decide if I want to keep the headlight visors.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #122
forestb

So here is the frustrating update. I started working on the timing last weekend and got it to where I thought was good. While doing that I realized that my battery cable was not secured to the terminal vary well. So I bought a new 4 gauge battery cable with a battery cut off switch and installed that this morning before even trying to start the truck up. I pored a little fuel in the carburetor and it fired right up on the first crank. Thought grate and proceeded to fine tune my timing a little bit. I was running vary good and I was able to turn it off and start it back up with no problem. While I was tightening the distributor back down I bumped the distributor. So my timing got all messed up. I turned the distributor back to where I thought it was and tried to start it back up. But it would barely turn over as thought the battery was almost dead. I tried to adjust the distributor to see if that was the problem but that did not help. So I tried to jump start it and that did not work either when it had worked in the past. My volt gauge in my truck is showing 12 volts and drops significantly when I try to turn it over. I tried bypassing the battery cut off switch by bolting the two ends that were connected to the switch together and that did not help.

Here are my thoughts.

1) I need a new battery or need it to be put on a slow charge. (I do not think this is it sense I tried to jump it and that did not work) I will probably take the battery to a mechanic next Saturday if I can't come up with anything else.

2) The starter motor is going out. It is a minnie starter that I have not had that long. (I don't think this is the problem sense it will turn the engine over but just a little bit.)

3) The electrical is grounding out somewhere. I don't see any thing arking but that is the only logical logical solution I can come up with. That would explain why the battery seams like it is almost dead but will not jump start and why it seemed like it happened all of a sudden.

The electrical has recently been redone. There are a lot of extra wires that are not connected to anything. They do not have any kind of connectors on the ends and the wires are not showing. They are all for the things that came with the harness that my truck does not need. Like back up lights, wires for electrical seats and a radio, just to name a few. I would call the guy that did the wiring on Monday. But if I can't stat the truck I can not take it to him without getting towed.

I am vary frustrated.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #123
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

If during cranking the batter drops below 9V, normally means you need a new battery.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #124
forestb

So I tried jump starting my truck again today. This time I left the cables attached for 5 minutes in order to charge the battery a little. It started right up. My next step is to take the battery to a mechanic so that they can do a slow charge on the battery before I go buy another. I talked to the guy that did the wiring and he said the way to check to see if it is grounding out is to hold the connector close to the termina and if it arks or sparks it is grounding out somewhere or something is turned on. I tried that and I got no parking or sparking so I will proceed as if that is not the problem.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #125
forestb

I took the truck out for it's maiden voyage (sense it was painted). I have not driven it for over a year and a half. The doors rattled like crazy but I think that is because the whether stripping is falling off. The inside door handle also fell of but that is not a big deal. I also heard another loud noise just like the door handle made when it fell off but I can not find anything on the cab floor the only thin I can think of was that it was the jumper cables bouncing against the cab floor. Man it feels good to have her running again.

Sorry no pictures.