The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > Paint and Bodywork > Sheetmetal and Fab

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

How to turn a Truck door into a Blazer door

I'm not a professional and I'm sure most of you already know all this. This is for the few that don't. If anyone has any pointers or helpful comments, post up. Actually jamie72 showed me how to do this several years ago so I thank him for this tidbit of info.

Its a pretty easy thing to do. The hardest thing to do is make yourself cut up a set of nice truck doors, lol. You only need a few tools. I used a reciprocating saw, die grinder with a cut-off wheel, hand grinder, and a drill with a 1/8" bit. Don't forget the imortant safety stuff, gloves, safety glasses, etc. I started off by taking a close look and some measurements on my factory doors. Then marked the truck doors where I wanted to cut. The first cut I made was on the lower part of frame that goes around the door window. I used a fine tooth long metal blade in the reciprocating saw. I layed the blade flat across the slot where the window comes up and cut straight across to the outside of the door. The next cut is at the top just above the vent wing assembly. Using the reciprocating saw I laid the blade against the ventwing window channel and cut up towards the top of the door. With those two cuts you have the major part removed. The next cuts I used the cut-off wheel. Right above the ventwing there is a flat spot. I had to make two cuts on this part of the door. The first part I cut off is the edge sticking up to the outside of the door. I held the cut-off wheel upside down and basically level to the flat spot above the ventwing. Making a slight cut all the way across the surface I just let the wheel work with a back and forth movement and it left a nice level cut. The last cut is toward the inside of the door above the ventwing just opposite the previous cut. Its just a small wedge you have to cut out for the plastic cover to fit on top. Where the door breaks over at the top above the ventwing, measure back about 3/8" to a half inch on the side and mark it. If you look on the inside of the window channel you'll see kind of a upside down horseshoe. The cut is going to graze the outer part of the horseshoe on the inside door side.I used a marker to mark the metal above the horseshoe edge. I used the cut-off wheel to cut this wedge out of the top of the door and it worked great. I slid on the cap/cover and it fit perfectly. I used a 1/8" bit to drill the holes for the two screws to hold the cap on. So just after 4 cuts and two holes drilled I have a real nice Blazer door. I'm going to go a few steps further than the factory did. I noticed on the original doors that those cut seams at the top of the door had come apart. I plan on grinding the third cut down a little bit and using the mig to weld it up. I'll grind it down and after some primer and paint it'll be good to go.
If my descriptions of where to cut and how pay close attention to the pics, you'll see what I'm trying to describe.
Attached Images

My Build
Old 01-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Big J

Re: How to turn a Truck door into a Blazer door

more pics.
Attached Images

My Build
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Big J

More pics.
Attached Images

My Build
Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Big J

Heres the edge cap, cover or whatever its called, lol.....
Attached Images

My Build
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Big J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
OK Jason, you are 1/2 way done!! A blazer door is actually a modified truck door from the factory. The other 1/2 of the job is mounting the latch reinforcement plate on the rear of the door with 3 screws then 3 spot welds. After that, there is a brass brace that get's installed towards the top --above the latch to help keep the door latch closed. These two reinforcements are there because Blazers were never designed well as even with everything new--the body would flex whenever the top was off. No shortcuts bubba~~~GET-ER-DONE!!!hehehehe
Yup, forgot about that. Good thing I haven't tossed the old doors yet. Huck your a wealth of knowledge, keep it comin'.

Thanks for the compliments fellas, I knew someone would find this handy. It'll be even more helpful when I get to complete what Huck just talked about, lol.

My Build
Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
vtblazer

Those be the ones.

Nice thread Big J.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #7
Big J

I finished up the doors. I still have to do some sand blasting and painting to do but the plate is welded on and the catch attatched. One of the plates was in need of some repair. The door rusted out behind it and messed it up a bit. It was nothing that couldn't be fixed. Be sure to take these pieces off your doors before tossing them. Don't forget to measure the placement of the catch on your door. It could be different on every door. Mine was 3 1/16" to the first hole from the top of the door down.
Attached Images

My Build

Last edited by Big J; 01-16-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I hadn't noticed that extra plate at the lock mechanism location - this thread is great!
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Big J

OK heres some more info. and pics. I'm adding a quicky how to on some door hinges. Its the way I do it, may not be the best way but I got it done Tools needed, punches, hammers, grinder, vise(got to have a vise), safety glasses, gloves, etc.... You'll need a hinge rebuild kit too, available from any of the vendors on the board.... I take the hinge and put it pointy side up in the vise. Then grind the point off flush with the hinge body. Take your punch and hammer and beat the pin out. Turn your hing over in the vise. Take the inside part of the hinge and use a screw driver or small punch and push the bushings out. Next install your new bushings. I just use a large phillips screw driver and use it as a slide hammer to push the new bushings in. Start the pin in the outer part of the hinge. Put the inner part of the hinge back into place and beat the pin back in. Some leave the extra sticking out. I take and cut off all but about a 1/4". Then I take it and put the head down on the anvil part of the vise and beat the part I just cut to expand it. It won't come out, lol.... Sometimes its that easy and others its not. I went through several hinges tonight trying to get them apart. I even broke a punch. I got it all together and back on the door. Mounted it up and no more play!!!!
Attached Images

My Build
Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Big J

and more pics. I'll include one of a bent hinge that refused to come apart. Even after a 5lb. sledge, lol. So thats how to turn a truck door into a blazer door and rebuild a hinge.
Good Luck!
Attached Images

My Build
Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
Big J

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
I've used an air chisel/air hammer with good results with the punch tool installed.

Sorry to tell ya now but it takes about 2 minutes max the air hammer way.
Thats another one of those DUH things, . Maybe I should stop working in the shop so late if my brains not going to cooperate, lol. I don't know why I didn't walk over to the tool box and get it out. I use my air hammer for everything. Yeah, that makes total sense that it'd pop'em right out. Thanks for the tip.

My Build