The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
TheGreenCoyote

Need to know how much to ask for my 1973

1973 Chevy, 3/4 ton, pickup, original 350 engine and tranny. Swapped out beds for a newer-better condition 1987 with the 2 fuel doors. I did put the original 1973 tailgate back on the newer bed. The frame needs a bit of straightening. I rebuilt the Quadrajet carb. Installed new u-joints. Installed new single fuel tank on passenger side. I refinished the original steering wheel, dash bezel and door panels...I also have the original headlight bezels too shown in the same videos (link below)... I have the "Salvaged/Rebuilt" Texas title in hand. I have done some body work here and there and sealed with TPC GLobal epoxy primer/sealer but never top-coated it so it needs to be scruffed up and reshot with epoxy. Just posted lots of freshly shot videos here on a new youtube channel I created for the truck...

http://www.youtube.com/user/my73c20?...e=results_main

To clarify, the horn contact broke but once you have a working horn this should pass inspection. (It always passed before I broke the contact.) The inspection station offered to add an external horn for cheap but I wanted it fixed right and they said that was around $140 to repair.

Definitely a project truck but I really cant find other trucks similar to see what people are asking for this year model in this shape that runs.

Last edited by TheGreenCoyote; 11-18-2012 at 02:57 PM.
TheGreenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Re: Need to know how much to ask for my 1973

I hate to say it, but in this economy, and given what I'm seeing, unfortunately its probably right around the $2k to $3k range in a best case scenario if the frame issue is very very minor and only needing a pull to be "right" but not needed for functioning as it should, and you're likely to hear many offers in the $1500 range from people who look at it... If the frame affects how it rides/steers/handles or safety then probably $1000 is what you'd hear and you may be better parting it to get more cash back out.

3/4 tons aren't as desirable to the average joe on the street looking for a garage at home restoration compared with short bed 1/2 tons, and although some work is done is it a primered truck that needs more metal work - such as the big holes cut in the doors for speakers, etc. Its probably going to be viewed by someone as a worktruck that gets inferior gas mileage compared to a 80s or 90s lwb that has overdrive or perhaps a 6.5 diesel.

Just a couple years ago in 09 before things got rough in the economy I sold a 76 3/4 ton with new sheetmetal, new paint above and beneath, newly resealed/gasketed 350 that ran like a sewing machine, redone th400, new tires, new brakes, new dash/carpet/seat/door panels/belts, new underhood accessories (belts/alt/fuelpump/etc) basically a restored truck. After 6 months of listing on ebay, autotrader classics, craigslist, racing junk, other car boards, and keeping it parked on-street with a sign by the state capitol it finally went for $5500. Since then prices are down, people are cheaper, gas costs more, and more people are hurting and selling their toys cheaper from necessity. Today I see trucks like my old one listed for $3500-5500, sometimes a little more when they put late model rims, cowl hoods, upgraded stereos etc in them but still not listing above $6k and those that do are still around for sale a year or two later from what I've seen...

Consider all that and what you realistically know it takes to bring to comparable condition in parts and labor by standing next to it to get an idea what someone may be willing to put towards it near you.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
bk2life
Account Suspended

yes 2k maybe 3k if you are lucky..
bk2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
TheGreenCoyote

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. Just what I was looking for!
TheGreenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote