The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #101
Xeen

Re: Project 69SWB

That cab is going to be like new again when you get done with it, nice work.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #102
RWB-713

Let me know how those cab corners you get from LMC work out. I ordered one recently and it was not correct at all. Much like your front floorpan, which i also had a problem with. I think the use different suppliers from time to time, because I also have a set of corners I got from them quite a while ago. Which are Tri-Plus branded, which I have found to be pretty decent stampings. The one I got this time was some other manufacturer, and yeah, it wasn't right at all.

Nice progress btw. Lookin good!
RWB-713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #103
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
That cab is going to be like new again when you get done with it, nice work.
Thanks! That's the plan. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB-713 View Post
Let me know how those cab corners you get from LMC work out. I ordered one recently and it was not correct at all. Much like your front floorpan, which i also had a problem with. I think the use different suppliers from time to time, because I also have a set of corners I got from them quite a while ago. Which are Tri-Plus branded, which I have found to be pretty decent stampings. The one I got this time was some other manufacturer, and yeah, it wasn't right at all.

Nice progress btw. Lookin good!
Will do... Hopefully they'll work just fine. :-) They should be here tomorrow and I can get this side finished up and move on the the drivers side.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #104
~Whitey~

Well the cab corners are in and they seem to be well made.. nice and thick. Can't wait to get home tonight and do some fitting. Work on Friday should be outlawed. Also ordered my tires this week and dropped my wheels off this morning to have those mounted... so can't wait to pick those up either!
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #105
RWB-713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69swb View Post
Well the cab corners are in and they seem to be well made.. nice and thick. Can't wait to get home tonight and do some fitting. Work on Friday should be outlawed. Also ordered my tires this week and dropped my wheels off this morning to have those mounted... so can't wait to pick those up either!
Yeah, that was the same brand I got. The fittament was the issue, hopefully mine was just a bad stamp tho. But from where the corner overlaps the cab pillar to where the bend around the cab is, was way too long, like 3/4 -1", and the contour wasn't correct either. I'm crossing my fingers for ya!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #106
mcbassin
Still Learning

Another cool project. Your cab sure brings back some fond memories...subscribed
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #107
~Whitey~

Quote:
Yeah, that was the same brand I got. The fittament was the issue, hopefully mine was just a bad stamp tho. But from where the corner overlaps the cab pillar to where the bend around the cab is, was way too long, like 3/4 -1", and the contour wasn't correct either. I'm crossing my fingers for ya!
I got sidetracked this evening so didn't get to mess with the corners... You'll see why in then next post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Another cool project. Your cab sure brings back some fond memories...subscribed
Thanks, and I know what you mean... It can be a lot of work at times, but I enjoy it. I hope to keep you entertained!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #108
~Whitey~

Well I finally got my tires in. I went with Toyo Proxes ST II's. I've ran Toyo's for a long time and have never been disappointed by them and these look sick. They're a 1 directional tire so you gotta mount lefts and rights correctly. This will make rotating a little more of a hassle but I'm not worried about that at all.

On the front is 17x8 with 4"bs wrapped up with 255/60's
on the back is 17x9.5's with 5.5 bs wrapped up with 275/60's

I like a little more sidewall than the 50's have and I'm not sure yet, but I might need a spacer on the backs.

I could sit out in the garage and stare at these all night, but taking the night off for some time with my wife.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #109
derrickmanx1

Lovin' the green. I like the rims and tires too. I had the hardest time picking the color for my project looking at pics like this. Nice project.
JAKES 4L80E TCI TCU PTC 10.5" 2800 STALL
My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...30#post5779530
derrickmanx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #110
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickmanx1 View Post
Lovin' the green. I like the rims and tires too. I had the hardest time picking the color for my project looking at pics like this. Nice project.
Thank you. I'm really happy with everything so far. I miss driving it and can't wait to get it back on the road.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #111
jmking9

GREAT choice on the wheel/tire setup. Those will look awesome on that black truck. Have you tried those cab corners yet? I had the same experience as the other guy that posted earlier. I ended up cutting them up for patches on my cowl, so at least they werent a total waste of money. I ended up buying a set from GMC Pauls and they were much more like original. Hopefully yours are better. I could tell the ones I bought were junk when I took them out of the box. The pinch weld area was almost non-existant one one side, and they cups were wrinkled very badly on both. I hope they work out for you, but if they dont, I recommend GMC Pauls. Anyway, you are makin great progress on that cab.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #112
sduckworth13

Your doing a great job on your truck, the frame looks super nice. If your wanting some cab corners that are a better fit, try the Tabco cab corners. They cost a little more but worth it.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #113
~Whitey~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
GREAT choice on the wheel/tire setup. Those will look awesome on that black truck. Have you tried those cab corners yet? I had the same experience as the other guy that posted earlier. I ended up cutting them up for patches on my cowl, so at least they werent a total waste of money. I ended up buying a set from GMC Pauls and they were much more like original. Hopefully yours are better. I could tell the ones I bought were junk when I took them out of the box. The pinch weld area was almost non-existant one one side, and they cups were wrinkled very badly on both. I hope they work out for you, but if they dont, I recommend GMC Pauls. Anyway, you are makin great progress on that cab.
Thanks! These are just as you described pretty much. They're nice and thick but the stamp is all wrong I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Your doing a great job on your truck, the frame looks super nice. If your wanting some cab corners that are a better fit, try the Tabco cab corners. They cost a little more but worth it.
Thanks for the compliment. You guys are right... These LMC cab corners aren't the best fit... I messed around with them a bit earlier but didn't have a lot of time. It just seems like the are too wide and once attached to the pillar they won't attached to the rear floor without some serious bending and pounding. It's like they need about a 1/4 inch cut out of them. Ill mess with them a bit more tonight or tomorrow and if they're not gonna work ill look at some of the other you all mentioned. I don't know why I don't look through the vendor board more often... Might have save me the time and trouble with these.

Do you have a link for the Tabco corners?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 01-13-2013 at 08:40 PM.
~Whitey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #114
~Whitey~

Here's a few pics. You can see what I'm dealing with on these LMC cab corners. I don't want that large gap where it meets the floor. The previous repair was done that way and then filled in with seam sealer. It made the back corners of the cab flare out and looked terrible. I guess I'm gonna try some different corners from whoever is closest to me so hopefully I'll get them this week.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #115
~Whitey~

These corners from LMC are not gonna work out. I mean I could slap them on there but they will be bowed out in the back that's not acceptable to me.

Ordered a set from GMC Pauls could not find anything for Tabco other than inner corners ?? .. We'll see how long it takes the GMCPauls to get here. Price was reasonable, shipping is alittle steep. Hope the extra $$$ is worth it. stay tuned on that.

UPDATE: Asked GMCPauls about the shipping cause it seemed a little high. Apparently I was charged double by accident and they have made it right. Great customer service.

Last edited by ~Whitey~; 01-14-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: update on shipping cost
~Whitey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #116
Xeen

Ya know its possible those are the slip on version and LMC doesnt know the difference and sells them as the direct fit replacement, I wouldnt put it past them.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #117
sduckworth13

http://tabcobodyparts.com/ here is the link for Tabco sheetmetal
Just looked at the price, it looks like they are $14.50. Thought they cost more than that when I bought them. They are USA made.

Last edited by sduckworth13; 01-13-2013 at 10:48 PM.
sduckworth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #118
~Whitey~

Quote:
Ya know its possible those are the slip on version and LMC doesnt know the difference and sells them as the direct fit replacement, I wouldnt put it past them.
Since they're wider I bet you're right.

Quote:
Just looked at the price, it looks like they are $14.50. Thought they cost more than that when I bought them. They are USA made.
Thanks Scott. I had found that site but couldn't never add anything to my cart and checkout, kept getting errors. I wanted to get those because they're made in USA but needed to get something ordered quick so went ahead and got GMC Paul's. I sure hope they fit. Fingers crossed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #119
Xeen

Oh well you can use the poor fitting cab corners for scrap metal to fill holes, gaps etc, so you can put them to good use reguardless.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #120
sduckworth13

Quote:
Oh well you can use the poor fitting cab corners for scrap metal to fill holes, gaps etc, so you can put them to good use reguardless.
Thats what I did, I bought several right hand cab corners till I went with the Tabco. I now have a cab corner stash that I use for my misc
patches.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #121
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
I used Tabco corners on my cab and they were the best fitting replacement panels I bought. Mine were pretty old though. Not sure on the vintage.
They were the correct thickness and close enough on the shape to make fit pretty easy. Good luck with any of the sheepmetal available for these trucks.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #122
RWB-713

Damn! I've always been skeptical of LMC's quality, even though i buy quite a bit from them, but with every piece I see or hear about, I just don't think parts like sheetmetal can be trusted form them. I think Xeen nailed it, they're probably slip on replacements, and they have no idea... Tabco looks good, and Everything I've seen from GMC Paul looks pretty good. Pretty sure I'll be switching to them as my source.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #123
Bennett68C10

Tires & wheels look great

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #124
~Whitey~

Quote:
Damn! I've always been skeptical of LMC's quality, even though i buy quite a bit from them, but with every piece I see or hear about, I just don't think parts like sheetmetal can be trusted form them. I think Xeen nailed it, they're probably slip on replacements, and they have no idea... Tabco looks good, and Everything I've seen from GMC Paul looks pretty good. Pretty sure I'll be switching to them as my source.
I know I am too.. I'm still learning where the good places to get things for our trucks are. LMC has a great website and their stuff ships super fast and gets here quick since I'm only a couple hours aways from them. But I figure most of their stuff is gonna be made overseas. I would much rather buy from a company that has American made goods if I'm able and they're competitive in pricing.. I'll pay a little more USA stuff since I understand our government makes it harder on them to produce stuff here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L View Post
Tires & wheels look great
Thanks Keith!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #125
~Whitey~

little update. Emailed with Sky @ GMCPauls and apparently I was charged double for shipping and they are making it right. Very fast and courteous on the customer service, which means a ton to me. I'll definitely be ordering more from them in the future.