The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2019, 02:39 AM   #1
VWNate1

Post 292 i6 Questions

Fascinating read here .

Subscribed to find out the end cause .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: 292 i6 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Fascinating read here .

Subscribed to find out the end cause .
It's a stumper, for sure.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
VWNate1

Post Off Idle Flat Spot

I've been an i6 engine lover since the early 1960's and I wish this one wasn't so far away .

I've been able to make clapped out InLine engines with 60# compression run very well .

This one clearly has some internal issues but, judging by the spark plugs it's running way too rich, apart from the oil wetted # 2 one .

There's a bit of art to tuning the InLine engine, I think perhaps he still has some sort of vacuum leak .
Old 08-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
May70

Re: Off Idle Flat Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
I've been an i6 engine lover since the early 1960's and I wish this one wasn't so far away .

I've been able to make clapped out InLine engines with 60# compression run very well .

This one clearly has some internal issues but, judging by the spark plugs it's running way too rich, apart from the oil wetted # 2 one .

There's a bit of art to tuning the InLine engine, I think perhaps he still has some sort of vacuum leak .
The inline 6's seem to be a pretty popular thing, yet a lot less references/videos on them (especially the 292). So many people throw a v8 in these trucks. Im not looking for performance, but I know you can get these 6's pretty crazy with deep pockets.

I do want aftermarket AC and power steering eventually. Ive seen a few pictures of some rigs with both, definitely not as clean as a v8 or as common. Haven't found a bracket kit for sale that looked legit, saw one on ebay that looked interesting. Ive also seen some videos of a guy who put a 5 speed on his 292 and it looked like a smooth ride. The 4 speed with a granny gear I have is cool but not too smooth for what I do and Ill never need a granny gear like this has. Those are really the only "things I am not sure about" with keeping the 292. Its obviously possible but im not too good with this stuff.

Thanks for joining in.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
VWNate1

Thumbs up i6 Fiddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
The inline 6's seem to be a pretty popular thing, yet a lot less references/videos on them (especially the 292). So many people throw a v8 in these trucks. Im not looking for performance, but I know you can get these 6's pretty crazy with deep pockets.

I do want aftermarket AC and power steering eventually. Ive seen a few pictures of some rigs with both, definitely not as clean as a v8 or as common. Haven't found a bracket kit for sale that looked legit, saw one on ebay that looked interesting. Ive also seen some videos of a guy who put a 5 speed on his 292 and it looked like a smooth ride. The 4 speed with a granny gear I have is cool but not too smooth for what I do and Ill never need a granny gear like this has. Those are really the only "things I am not sure about" with keeping the 292. Its obviously possible but im not too good with this stuff.

Thanks for joining in.
You're welcome .

I'm a geezer who had GM factory training and was Dealer Mechanic when these were current production .

The order in which you do things is critical to avoid chasing your tail .

That it ran well once and began smoking tells me the engine per se is prolly just fine .

Not having deep pockets is a problem, join the club .

Not knowing what you're doing is less of a problem because many here are well learned and have experience working on and with these old rigs .

Each one degree of dwell change alters the ignition timing by 3 degrees, more than one degree is a _lot_ although most doesn't realize it as they simply stomp the throttle and make noise and smoke over revving the engine .

My last 292 would foul the spark plugs in 250 miles plus it was a 1976 GMC and so needed to pass smog testing, I peaked and tweaked it, had to go to a $45 junkyard HEI from a 1977 Nova and open the spark plugs up to .070" before it stopped fouling plugs, then it " flew through the test " (quote from my smog guy) even though it still burned oil and you'd smell the burned oil out the exhaust.....