The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question 67/68 C20 Ramp truck

hey guy's I just found this area. I had never noticed it before but glad I found it.
Can some of you more experience guy's lead me down the right path. I want to install disc brakes on the front of my ramp truck. I'd like to lower it also. Also how to install the hold downs into the bed. The bed seems thin for holding a full size load. I have the winch installed and put reinforcement's under the bed for it. Just not sure how are what to use for the bed.

1. Front disc what years to look for, and will 1/2 ton 1 ton which to use. Will I need dropped spindles to get it lower up front?

2. I have a bag system with 4-2500 bags, is this enough bag?

3. Installing tie down points.
Pictures of it now.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
5Tractorguy

Re: 67/68 C20 Ramp truck

In my world it would be a cardinal sin to lower that truck. Perfect just the way it is... hate to see that thing get dropped.

Someone may add info on the front end, I think thats been tossed around on here over the past year for other builds.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 67/68 C20 Ramp truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy View Post
In my world it would be a cardinal sin to lower that truck. Perfect just the way it is... hate to see that thing get dropped.

Someone may add info on the front end, I think thats been tossed around on here over the past year for other builds.

Well if it was a true stock hauler I wouldn't, but it's a home made job so I'm wanting to redo it lower it and add the semi wheels to it also. I'm planning on making it much beefier also and fix the welds that they did.

Pictures are for attention.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
5Tractorguy

Geez, looks like someone had fun with a welder and hardware. That bed definitely needs to be redone then, no doubt!

I just really like the way the front half of the truck looks with the worn paint, grill guard, trim, steel buds... Always been a fan of keeping them looking untouched and getting it mechanically sound underneath. But that's just me!

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Tractorguy View Post
Geez, looks like someone had fun with a welder and hardware. That bed definitely needs to be redone then, no doubt!

I just really like the way the front half of the truck looks with the worn paint, grill guard, trim, steel buds... Always been a fan of keeping them looking untouched and getting it mechanically sound underneath. But that's just me!
The paint want be touched. My main goal is get it lowered and disc brakes up front for driving it. Then the wheels. The motor and trans are in good shape.
The rear frame and bed supports not so much. They need work.
I'm trying to work a deal out for a whole frame from a local guy. 2003 model heavy duty with 4 wheel disc.

I also have a guy a few hrs away has a front disc clip only he said I could have it if I come get it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Hey Andy, glad you finally found this forum. But to be honest with you, it is intended for the medium to heavy duty trucks. Yours falls under the 10-30 light truck category. But don't worry, no one is going to kick you out and you can gain some great info here for things, such as the bed, that your truck shares with the bigger brothers. It ain't no pickup. On suspension, that's something your truck doesn't have in common. At least not the front. The rear, of course, is the same design as any leaf spring rear, just lighter duty.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hey Andy, glad you finally found this forum. But to be honest with you, it is intended for the medium to heavy duty trucks. Yours falls under the 10-30 light truck category. But don't worry, no one is going to kick you out and you can gain some great info here for things, such as the bed, that your truck shares with the bigger brothers. It ain't no pickup. On suspension, that's something your truck doesn't have in common. At least not the front. The rear, of course, is the same design as any leaf spring rear, just lighter duty.
Thanks Tim. Yea I'm sorta in between sections here. Can't really find nothing on it in the 67-72 forum. I'm hoping to start taking it a part after this weekend. Our local truck club has it's 5th annual truck picnic Saturday. We have 120 trucks pre registered for it. I'm taking both and then the ramp is going to be off the road for the most part of the winter. Hopefully by spring it will be some what of a newer truck.
I found a guy local last night with a 2004 heavy duty frame complete less motor and trans for $1500.00 4 wheel disc setup. I'm going over Friday to talk to him and look at it. Pictures of it looks good.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club