The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Mack B

Disassembling a frame for blasting

Hear my tale.

I have 2 questions related to sandblasting a frame.

1. The frame has a lot of surface rust. Would it be wise or even necessary to remove the cab mounts, bed mounts, core support mounts to make sure no rust is in between them? The truck is to be a driver, but I don't want rusty streaks showing up later if I can help it.

2. All riveted in crossmembers are to be replaced by porterbuilt crossmembers except the radiator support and rear most crossmember. I had planned on removing all others before I take it to the blasters. Today while removing a janky homemade hitch, I found a big ol' crack in the rearmost crossmember. So it's now coming out as well. This leaves only the radiator support to bridge the two halves together. How much grief am I asking for if I take the frame completely apart and bolt it all back together?
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Disassembling a frame for blasting

That's a tricky one...I've seen it done...I left mine all together for blasting...ive also seen guys strip em down to nothing...getting the frame back square is gonna be the worst part i think...but if your down to nothing but the radiator support holding the frame rails then I don't think you got anything to loose...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Since you are down to just the radiator crossmember, I would go ahead and remove it as well to make it easier to handle and avoid bending that crossmember. Reassembling the frame and getting it square is not that difficult if you have a proper place to do it and take your time. You will want the frame level in both directions as well. As for removing all of the riveted brackets, that would be a sure way to eliminate the possibility of rust creeping out from between.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

The guy I bought my truck in a box from had the frame powder-coated without removing the a-arm cross-member. When I removed it and the others there was still rust under there. Glad I did.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:37 AM   #5
Mack B

I appreciate the input, gentlemen. I like the idea of taking all the brackets off to make sure the rust is gone. I haven't verified this but I imagine I'm going to have to drill the rivet holes larger to bolt it all together. I'm going to do this one crossmember at a time, then blow it all apart for blasting and paint. I feel that should help with keeping everything square...ish when it goes back together.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #6
Notch1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
I appreciate the input, gentlemen. I like the idea of taking all the brackets off to make sure the rust is gone. I haven't verified this but I imagine I'm going to have to drill the rivet holes larger to bolt it all together. I'm going to do this one crossmember at a time, then blow it all apart for blasting and paint. I feel that should help with keeping everything square...ish when it goes back together.
The rivets are quite large, you won't need to drill out the holes, they'll fit a big bolt. Easiest way to get them out, IMO, is I cut the head off with a 3/32 disc and grind the surface smooth. You'll see the round outline of the hole/rivet, just take a center punch and BFH and pound it out from there.
I had my frame blasted then tore it down further, will get it redone again before coating.
Attached Images

Link to my build:
My GMC Project
Notch1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
Mack B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notch1988 View Post
The rivets are quite large, you won't need to drill out the holes, they'll fit a big bolt. Easiest way to get them out, IMO, is I cut the head off with a 3/32 disc and grind the surface smooth. You'll see the round outline of the hole/rivet, just take a center punch and BFH and pound it out from there.
I had my frame blasted then tore it down further, will get it redone again before coating.
It appears you have a much nicer work area than myself! I've had some experience grinding rivets, I'm not excited about it, but plan to start tomorrow.