The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
72timemachine

What is the difference between the sm465 and the ch465?

I've done some research, however there seems to be little to no difference from what people in some of the forums are saying about the difference in these two transmissions.

The one I have came out of a 1969 c60 dump truck, I believe it was a 2 1/2 ton. It looked like it had a 2 speed rear end, just massive. The engine was a 366 ci mated to the ch465.

Now I am no way an expert on this but is this a 4 speed manual transmission? I believe it has the 13" clutch, very odd looking too. The stick shift lever is straight up and down, no curves in it at all. Shift nob was missing. It has a pto with a small drive shaft attached to work the dump bed hydraulics. It also has the emergency brake drum attached to the tail shaft. I swear this thing weighs almost as much as a small block Chevy engine. It took 3 guys to pick it up and throw it in my truck.

There has to be some difference, otherwise, why would GM bother. Does "ch" designate GMC or something, whereas "sm" designates Chevrolet?

Not kidding, I see some of these sell online from $100 to $1700 and I have no idea why the large spread in the pricing.

Thanks for any help.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
Gokart Mozart

Re: What is the difference between the sm465 and the ch465?

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...s/manual/sm465
The "SM" in the transmission's designation stands for Synchro-Mesh, in the tradition of other GM gearboxes. It is also referred to as the CH-465 or CH465 by factory literature.

wiki
The "SM" in the transmission's designation does not stand for Synchro-Mesh, contrary to popular belief. "SM" stands for "SAGINAW MUNCIE". GM literature also often referred to this as a CH465, referencing Chevrolet.

I'd like to know the worth too. I'll be getting rid of mine some day (CH465).
Gokart Mozart is offline   Reply With Quote