The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
juiceboxhero

Possible choke issue?

Hey everyone,
I have an 84 c10 Scottsdale with a 305. All stock with the Rochester 4bbl. on Occasion iin the cold it seems like the choke is sticking. It idles extremely high and is a quite concerning sometimes. Then on the same day after letting sit for a couple hours the truck runs perfect cold weather and all. Is there a certain amount of time the electronic choke is supposed to run before Starting or is this a possible other issue. Hopefully some one has some insight. Thanks in advanced.

Edit... Found new issue with idle. Once the idle went down, revved engine to see if fixed then idle set back to high. I'm not very familiar with carbs, I'm a newbie to the American set up. Was a Honda tech prior.

Last edited by juiceboxhero; 03-02-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Found new issue.
juiceboxhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
jhngardner367

Re: Possible choke issue?

That is a common problem,with that carb.It is most likely an E4ME,with a solenoid-actuated idle-mixture controller.Look on top of the carb,on the same side as the choke.If there's an electrical connector,it's an E4ME. That solenoid literally controls the idle mixture,and it's one of the reasons the carb gave problems. GM wanted a more efficient carb,like the Holley"economizer"series.Unfortunately,it gives more problems than it solves.If it fails,it can put so much fuel into the engine,it will literally drown the engine!Most people switch to an earlier model,to get away from it. Mine went bad,and fotunately,I was able to limp it the 2 miles home,using 3/8 of a tank of fuel!I ended up changing the oil,carb,sparkplugs,and oil filter.In some cases,as with my cousin's truck it can cause fires.He didn't lose too much..some wiring,and hoses,but only because we had fire extinguishers on hand!
I can't fix what ain't broke....you want I should break it?
jhngardner367 is offline   Reply With Quote