The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
truckster

Minor Driving Rants

So I was thinking as I was getting on the freeway today - do some people get on the onramp not knowing they're getting on the freeway? It's the only reason I can think of that they're going 45 MPH at the end of the ramp, especially when they're merging into traffic that's going 70+.

And what's with people who stop at roundabouts? I'm not talking about yielding to oncoming traffic, I'm talking about the idiots who come to a complete stop when there's not another car in sight.

I guess if those are the worst things that happen to me today I've had a pretty good day.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: Minor Driving Rants

this heat makes people drive worse too. I have had more people cross center in the past two weeks.. like driving in pole position
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
Nick_R_23

I think most people don’t realize that on-ramps don’t have posted speed limits, so you can reach any speed necessary to safely merge into the flow of traffic.

I came to a roundabout last week, and the guy in the circle was stopping to let people enter. Created all kinds of mayhem. How do you get a license being that bad of a driver?
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
weq92f

Right...Onramps are acceleration zones not wait and see zones.

The only time I've made contact with another driver was when I was young and the other driver actually stopped his vehicle near the merge point on an Onramp to a major freeway.
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
68bowtie

I have way to many “minor driving rants” to list. Lol! I drive my wife nuts with my complaining.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
flashed

Here in Ga , Round A Bouts are fairly new and confuses the hell out of some people . I have traveled the country so they are not new to me but some have never seen one , much less know how to navigate one . I saw one lady going round and round , had no idea how to get off , Lol.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:04 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Right...Onramps are acceleration zones not wait and see zones.

The only time I've made contact with another driver was when I was young and the other driver actually stopped his vehicle near the merge point on an Onramp to a major freeway.
Many years ago, I worked for a Chevy dealer, and had gone to the parts warehouse to get...parts. When I was getting on the freeway, the dork in front of me stopped at the top of the on ramp. Me, expecting the definition "acceleration lane" to be clear, going up the on ramp when he did that, saying, "OH, CRAP!". I almost rear-ended him. Nice, NEW '70 3/4T truck slamming into the back of that Lincoln would have been bad all around.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:57 AM   #8
treveiger

Honestly I've lost all faith in people's driving ability. I just expect them to do the stupidest thing imaginable and prepare for that. Worked out so far (knock on wood).
Old 07-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #9
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
Honestly I've lost all faith in people's driving ability. I just expect them to do the stupidest thing imaginable and prepare for that. Worked out so far (knock on wood).
I have to agree and I do the same. I have my head on a swivel when I’m driving. I have witnessed on several occasions of drivers that can’t get on the freeway from a ramp to save their lives lol! The ones that drive from the on ramp right into the traffic at 40mph, and it looks like they aren’t even looking, are the ones that scare me. I’ve have witnessed so many people just merging into the lane, with a truck literally right beside them. I guess they just assume everyone is going to get over and let them in, but that can’t always happen.
Roundabouts, that one right there , so many people just don’t understand how they work!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #10
67C10Step

Pre covid days I would drive 300-700 miles a week for work so I see a lot of sketchy driving. On ramps and roundabouts just get me started.

If I am passing you on the freeway why do you speed up? You do your speed and I'll do mine. It's not about winning and losing, just set your cruise control at a speed you are comfortable with and roll. If someone passes you just let them go.

For Pete's sake stop romancing an 18 wheeler when you are passing them! If the big rig is going 65, for the love of all that's holy do not pass at 66 mph! Put your foot in it for a second or two and get around the truck. I cannot think of a worse place to be rolling than right beside eight big tires not knowing if one of them is about to blow.

I could write a book on this subject.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #11
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
The ones that drive from the on ramp right into the traffic at 40mph, and it looks like they aren’t even looking, are the ones that scare me.
I was behind this guy coming home from work today.

When I’m out on the scooter, which hasn’t been a lot lately, I ride like people are trying to run me over.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post

When I’m out on the scooter, which hasn’t been a lot lately, I ride like people are trying to run me over.
Oh my, their everywhere! Their everywhere!
I love motorcycles, but I will never drive or ride one. Your fair game with the idiots out there that don’t know how to drive!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #13
Axle

Toss a gps tracker in your work vehicle and it become even more fun (not) dealing with these idiots... I won't go further, lots of swear words will be used if I continue. ()
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:06 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post

I sold my motorcycle in '72 after one too many a close call. I'm to the point now that I haven't even ridden my bicycle around town for years (even in the bike paths off the road) because even the buses don't stop for the red lights when I try to cross the major streets. I guess I could get a GoPro and record my own death.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-15-2020, 12:13 AM   #15
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I sold my motorcycle in '72 after one too many a close call. I'm to the point now that I haven't even ridden my bicycle around town for years (even in the bike paths off the road) because even the buses don't stop for the red lights when I try to cross the major streets. I guess I could get a GoPro and record my own death.
Yeah, I can see how the idea of getting mowed down by mass transit would tend to make you not want to go for a ride.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:22 AM   #16
Greasey Harley

My turn signal is neither a meek request, nor a polite suggestion. I am coming over.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #17
kingsolver72
10/30/19

My dad drove a truck from the 1950s until he passed away.
He told me once that he would give 3 blinks then move over.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Driver quality is degenerating. I think it's the newer mentality that being "how it's always been" is certainly not a good thing and everything needs to change, "move forward". Well... NOT THE RULES OF THE ROAD!!! You see, with everybody and anybody out there driving vehicles it's important to have standards that EVERYONE follows so the OTHER DRIVERS know what to expect. It is the MOST intelligent way to do things.

The new thing I've been running into is people stopping and waving me on to make my left turn. NO!!! You take your "right of way" and just keep on driving and I will turn once there is no oncoming traffic. And watch out for that car coming from behind. You may get rear ended by someone not expecting a car to be sitting dead in the road that cars are supposed to be moving on like they are. Thanks but no thanks. That's not courtesy, that's just plain stupid

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #19
TwoFiftyShifter

This one is minor. I get it in rural areas.

Pull up to a stop sign to make a right into a state hwy. Car coming from my left, I will just wait for him to pass.

Except, he is turning right to where I had come from, and never signals. If you had just signaled, I could have hauled out of there without staring at your car for 5 seconds for no reason.

But it wouldn't have benefited that driver, so why do it, right?
Old 07-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #20
dajn
Account Suspended

I have posted this before but its worth repeating and should answer your question. Average IQ is 100. 70 is considered retarded and around 140 is considered exceptional. There are approximately 330 million Americans. Around 15 percent of the population have an IQ between 70 to 85. That's around 45 million Americans that have an IQ barely above what's considered mentally retarded. That's very important to understand.
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #21
KShortell

I hear you. Distracted driving is worse than ever, too!
Old 07-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #22
TKCR

I already posted on here earlier, but it happened today! Went to Menard's to pickup an order, and there's a fairly new round about in Lima. Absolutely no cars around except for the Escalade in front of me. And guess what they did?! Came
to a complete stop when they came up to the round about and literally sat there for several seconds, probably because there was a car that was approching the round about clear on the other side!
Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I went up to a store a bit ago, and some truck was stopped on the westbound side of the street. I drive by (eastbound), and the dork is sitting there looking at his cell phone. I was really hoping for the popo to roll up behind him and ask why he's stopped in the street instead of pulled over.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 07-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #24
truckster

I was on a drive in my Yukon the other day and had my grandson with me. One of the first things I did when I got the Yukon was put in a set of 4 Cadillac horns... so the roundabout thing happened, and I gave the driver in front of me a blast. My grandson said, "Grandpa, why did you do that?" I said, "That's my stupid button. It helps people know when they're being stupid."
Old 07-17-2020, 09:16 PM   #25
rharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
So I was thinking as I was getting on the freeway today - do some people get on the onramp not knowing they're getting on the freeway? It's the only reason I can think of that they're going 45 MPH at the end of the ramp, especially when they're merging into traffic that's going 70+.

And what's with people who stop at roundabouts? I'm not talking about yielding to oncoming traffic, I'm talking about the idiots who come to a complete stop when there's not another car in sight.

I guess if those are the worst things that happen to me today I've had a pretty good day.
My biggest annoyance while driving. If you’re merging you need to be at speed and adjust to find the hole to ‘merge’ in.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote