The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
YoungDreamer

Quick Answers, Project Planning

Hey, This is my second thread, since the last one i have done lots of research but still need some help and i have a bunch of questions.

Im looking to Build a 65 C-10 or C-20 Long Stepside Pickup.

What would be the best chassis swap? Anything 80's to 90's i could probably save from a Junk Yard might be preferred.

Is a Cummins 4BT the best diesel swap choice for these trucks? on the new chassis and with the 4BT could i go 100MPH?

Saw a guy with a dual cab custom truck, looked like he had leather seats from like an 06 Chevy 1500 in the truck, anybody else see or do this?

If i do buy a chassis with powersteering and power brakes, do i use the existing Master Cylinder or do i need to buy a different one to fit the engine bay?

Im 17 and dont know a ton about old trucks or cars in general all help is good help. I dont even own the 65 im just looking at my options for a fun project that i could complete in a Year! Under $9,000 hopefully!
YoungDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: Quick Answers, Project Planning

Why go to all the work changing to a chassis that wasn't made for your truck when you can update yours with everything you want?
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
YoungDreamer

Easier to lift a newer chassis, im not one to lower a truck, im rebuilding a work truck so i can use it to work again. Better handling and steering with a new chassis, and if i actually want to swap it to diesel a newer chassis might be able to withstand the increased torque output
Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
Bigdock

It's definitely not easier to swap frames if the truck is in one piece when you swap frames it's time to make all new cab mounts bed mounts clearance issues not trying to discouarge you cause I'm young too buy the truck you want drive it for a while till you have the build that you want on paper with everything you want listed and it'll go a lot better if your dead set on a frame swap
Posted via Mobile Device
Bigdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
YoungDreamer

New chassis will have power brakes, hopefully disk... Power steering installed.... easier to lift, more rigid for larger engine, diesel or gas.... I know it would be alot of work but it would give me a chance to get the whole cab off for stripping and painting. I know there are alot of guys out there who have used like 85' 1500 4x4 chassis with their 60's and 70"s c-10's for offroading... same concept but instead of going over rocks in mine i would be cruising to school and to farms and to campouts, and still be able to keep up or pass traffic on the highway
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
66Submarine

My 2 cents.

Disk brakes are very easy to add, power brakes actually came as an option, power steering is a bolt on with one hole to drill and a spacer/reinforcing plate. You get the steering box and disk brake setup from a junkyard 71-87 GM truck for very little money. Can't see how putting the cab on the wrong frame can be much easier. (Plus the wheelbase and width will probably be wrong and cause lots of extra work or look really stupid)

A 4bt (stock) has less power than the engines that came in these trucks new. The frame will have no problem with that, it'll just be heavy; and still not as heavy as the GMC v-6's. (Although I'll admit after learning more about the late light duty diesels I'm not that impressed with them anymore. Lots of money, lots of expensive problems with injector stuff, etc.) Personally if you're on a budget I think it's still kind of hard to beat the old inline sixes and small blocks (which also came in there to begin with, so they require no mods).

Personally I'd just buy a truck and fix it, then decide what you want to do. (I don't even have a late model car/truck myself, and I leave my trucks pretty much as they left the factory.) I personally have a C-30(one ton) right now, but if you aren't hauling something you don't really need a 3/4-1 ton. I also wouldn't do a total restoration as your first project. You can work on most stuff while you are driving the truck, and you will learn a lot as you go for when/if you decide to take it down. (Too many people get the truck taken apart and give up IMO)

The only thing really needed to pass people on the highway is to put you right foot down and do it. People didn't drive 45MPH when they bought a new truck in 1965. A set of taller rear end gears or an overdrive will make it just like a late model truck as far as RPM's go when driving fast. (I hear Texas is pretty insane so you'll probably need that.) My tired old truck runs about 2,900RPM @ 65MPH. With a .73 OD (as is common) I'd be going roughly 90MPH at the same RPM, which I'd have to think would work for most commuting. A common as dirt generic 350 SBC (for example) should have absolutely no trouble getting you to 100MPH.

Last edited by 66Submarine; 08-22-2013 at 12:51 AM.
66Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Vernski

This is where you need to start out it can answer most of your questions enjoy this link..Vernski
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559678
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
19666Trucker

My old 1966 c20 manual brakes, power assistance steering the old ram style, daily driver of 40miles. Drives stop and handles great. If want go 100mph then a work truck isn't the best. Chevy really got back in the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
19666Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I am not going to tell you what I think your should do, cuz you need to do what you like.

Here is what I did.

I have a 65 SWB, I rebuilt front and rear, used drop spindles and bags out back. I put a 2005 4.8/4l60e combo in her, installed power steering, power brakes and AC. I also have cruise control for the highways. I can tow all day long, I can run 100 MPH if I wanted to, I can also run 65 MPH and get 20 MPG.

Anyway you decide to build your truck, you should enjoy it and like it was said before, so you dont loose interest or get overwhelmed, do smaller projects so you can enjoy the truck in between them.

Enjoy and welcome neighbor!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote