The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
AlmostClueless

Question Unable to remove heat stove from ram's horn

Hi, everyone,

New to this forum, so hope I'm posting to the right place. My wife and I just purchased a very, very rough 1972 4x4 Suburban w/ the 350. It's been sitting for about 30 years outside and needs a lot of work, but right now just trying to figure why engine is locked. Hoping just relatively minor rust in the bores, but need to pull heads. This is where I need your help. I removed all the screws I could find that hold the heat stove on the driver's side ram's horn, but while it's loose now, it still won't separate completely from the manifold. Obviously, I missed a fastener someplace. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I can't get to the center 2 manifold bolts till I get the heat stove off & so I still can't get the head off. Thanks for any input & take care.
AlmostClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
rsavage

Re: Unable to remove heat stove from ram's horn

If I remember correctly, there is a sheet metal screw that holds the inner part of the shield to the outside. Did you find that one?
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
AlmostClueless

Thanks, Savage,

I removed two screws from the top of the stove. There was a hole for a third screw that was missing. When I got the two out, the two halves of the stove separated easily, but only to a point and then I couldn't get them apart any further. It's almost like the outer half is pinned to the manifold someplace that I can't see. Getting pictures is tough, too, since the clutch mechanism, steering column, proportioning valve, and brake booster all converge right there together. I'll grab a magnifying glass & try to spot a screw I missed. I surely appreciate the help. It'll be a miracle if I ever get this old girl roadworthy again, but when I saw her, she was just too cool to let her go to scrap, which is where the previous owner was headed with her. A restoration is beyond my means, but if I can get her back decent, I'll be happy. Thanks, again!

Clueless
Old 11-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
AlmostClueless

Hey, again, Savage,

I finally had time again to fiddle with the thing and I was able to remove it. (YES!) There was one remaining fastener more or less hidden behind the dipstick tube. I couldn't see it, but found it with my fingers. Took quite a bit of wrestling just to get the tube to come out, but once I managed to extract that, I was able to unscrew that last fastener & the stove fell right off. Thanks for your help.

Almost