The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
blue72k10

wiper/washer question

I've got a 72 K10 with an wiper/washer issue. It seems that when the wipers are on the 4 pronged wheel that the washer pump engages to is turning even though I haven't pushed the button to squirt. It never stops turning. I'm thinking that this shouldn't be happening, correct? Any thoughts on what to check? Thank you.
blue72k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: wiper/washer question

Your problem could be electrical or mechanical. Inside the wiper motor there is a coil that engages a lever that catches the wheel on the wiper motor. It drives the pump shaft. The wires to the coil are shown in the diagram below The yellow wire is a jumper off the main yellow wire that comes from the fuse panel. This wire is hot anytime the key is on. The black wire is a ground from the wiper switch that grounds when you push in the wiper switch.

If the wire is grounded anywhere between the switch and the motor it will cause the coil to engage. unplug either of these two wires, they should be together in one plug, and see if the problem stops. if it doesn't then you have a mechanical
problem inside the pump cover. I believe there is a spring inside that may have come off or the lever may be stuck. I don't remember the exact working of the pump inside.

Name:  CUP WIPER WIRING (1).jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  43.8 KB

Here's the motor.

Name:  IMG_0367 (Small).JPG
Views: 269
Size:  56.5 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
blue72k10

Re: wiper/washer question

Thank you for your reply and more importantly for your service. I was in the WANG from 70-76 doing aircraft maintenance on the F101's we had. Back to the issue with my washer pump. I took the pump off the motor and turned the switch for wiper on and the wheel that turns the pump constantly turns. I don't think that's right as it would cause the pump to squirt fluid as long as there's any in tank, correct? I'll go look at the pump and check that out closer but I didn't see anything amiss. Thanks again.
blue72k10 is offline   Reply With Quote