The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #1
elorenzof

EEC FUEL TANK 5.3 swap

I know this has been asked before but i am unable to find a post on it. if someone would post a link or give some input? I am planning a budget 5.3 swap and i'd like to keep the fuel tank in my cab for $$ purposes. Can i use an EEC fuel tank from a 72c10 in my 70 c10 and use the port on the passenger side for a fuel return line? Put an inline fuel pump and such like i've seen on the forum here? Basically i'd use the factory charcoal canister vent line coming from the fuel tank as a return line. Yes or No and pros and cons? Thank you guys
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
pilotXC

Re: EEC FUEL TANK 5.3 swap

I don't know of a post, but you have to vent the tank as well with the swap. If you use the existing vent for return, how are you going to vent the tank? You could use the corvette filter I suppose that does not require a return (details escape me at the moment), there is a lot of info out there. Otherwise you'd have to modify the tank for a vent somewhere and the return. Modifying tanks on these swaps is tedious... Inline pumps are supposed to be really loud. I have an in tank pump and I can hear it.
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
gmc684x4

Corvette filter has a return the return line in the tank will need to be below the fuel level to a certain point

I seen post on this in the past on here
Have you tried the search function ?
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
elorenzof

Hello and thanks for the responses... I could possibly use this C5 Corvette filter/regulator combo for the return line and put the return fuel line into the OTHER side by the Fuel filler neck there is another bung welded into the EEC tank this way i can keep the Vent line to do it's job thats on the passenger side? Would this c5 filter regulator push the fuel up into the tank? I tried a search to no avail on this subject on this forum...
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
CarlsLQ9SS

You could drill the top of your tank close to fuel pickup, and put a bung there for the return. One thing to keep in mind is the return fuel needs to return to the bottom of your tank because if you just dump the return fuel on top of the fuel level in your tank you will airate your fuel causing air bubbles to get in the pressure side and cause misfires. AN fittings from different manufactures has a fitting made just for this purpose but i dont have the part number right off the top of my head. The reason i say to put it close to the fuel pickup is so you can reach the fitting for the down tube to attach it.
CarlsLQ9SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
dec010974

FWIW, you can use a Jeep tank (15 Gallons), fuel pump ep381, r1500 fuel sending unit, and filler neck. That's what I did. I have close to $200 in the setup and its mounted behind the axle in the spare tire area. I used angle aluminum to mount the tank to the frame rails. you will need cut a hole in your tank to mount the filler. there was no welding involved. I used epoxy and gasket paper around the filler flange and secured it to the tank. I fill the gas thru the bed floor. Good luck
Attached Images

dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
plumber452

Look for a thread on here from Ls11nova 71 He has done this before. I just got through duplicating his set up using an external Walboro , I think 45, inline pump and Corvette regulator. You use the old supply line for the return and have to make a new 3/8" pick up tube that runs through the flat area on the sending unit of your old tank.

I'm very pleased with mine and it's very quite.

If you can't find it let me know and I have some pics of my setup. Ls1nova 71 had a pretty through write up on it
plumber452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
AussieinNC

Here ya go...I believe this is the thread you are looking for:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6488120

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
elorenzof

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. i appreciate you all! I'll check out the thread posted byAussieinNC tonight. Stay safe.