The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
mick53

Steering quickener

On my 53 3100 I'm running a stock steering column and box with electronic power steering. I'm running a 55 steering wheel for the turn signals. I plan on trying to install a smaller ring on the stock 55 wheel. I would like to reduce the steering ratio (?) by installing a quickener gear. They seem to come in 1.5:1 and 2:1. I don't know which one I should use. My main question is should the quickener be before the power steering motor or after it. The power steering motor just gets cut inline into the column. Thank you for your time.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Steering quickener

Usually those get used in dirt track or off road rigs but with all the miles I have driven with a stock steering box I can understand why you are thinking of one.

Everything I read says that they increase steering effort and from that I'd think you want it above the power steering unit but that may not be possible. Still the worse case if you put it between the power steering unit and the steering box it is just going to make the power steering unit work slightly harder. You might actually want it below the power steering unit on yours because if you decide you don't like it it will be real simple to remove it and replace it with a piece of steering shaft.

This is on old Jeeps but there is a real good steering setup install tutorial in this link that answers a lot of questions that guys have had lately. https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...y-jeep-willys/

I bought the electric power steering unit out of a Chevrolet Equinox a couple of years ago to use with the Dakota manual rack when I was planning to run the Industrial Chassis crossmember. Reading up on that box when used in other rigs says that they can be twitchy as far as steering goes. With it's size I don't think even the Howe quick steering box in the link that Posted above would have room to fit between it and the dash.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:15 PM   #3
mick53

Re: Steering quickener

[QUOTE=mr48chev;8840304]Usually those get used in dirt track or off road rigs but with all the miles I have driven with a stock steering box I can understand why you are thinking of one.

Everything I read says that they increase steering effort and from that I'd think you want it above the power steering unit but that may not be possible. Still the worse case if you put it between the power steering unit and the steering box it is just going to make the power steering unit work slightly harder. You might actually want it below the power steering unit on yours because if you decide you don't like it it will be real simple to remove it and replace it with a piece of steering shaft.

This is on old Jeeps but there is a real good steering setup install tutorial in this link that answers a lot of questions that guys have had lately. https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...y-jeep-willys/
Thanks for the advice and the link. I was also concerned about the twitchy thing. This is a pretty high end unit, ($1500) I spoke with the manufacturer about it. Luckily I talked my friend into putting the same unit in his old F@rd truck. We installed it about a year ago and so far so good for him. It's smooth as silk. So time will tell. Worst case I have another stock column.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote