The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Electric door/alarms

What have you guy's installed in your trucks as far as alarms and door locks. Please don't say dogs are chains.
I would like real honest alarms and would really like to know of a good kit with Actuator's for our trucks and how you mounted them.
I have electric windows to so I would have to make sure they will not interfer with the windows.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #2
Cooper197

Re: Electric door/alarms

I haven't done one on my truck yet, but I really like the Viper systems. I have a Python system on one of my other cars (Python and Viper are the same company) and it has been excellent.
I use a 5706 Python with a few add on sensors. It has remote start on it, if that matters or works for your application, and many other nice features. My car had power locks so I can't say much on that front. I do know that these are pretty easy to use with either aftermarket or factory locks though, you just have to use a relay to run aftermarket ones as you would for your truck
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Electric door/alarms

Thanks man. I talked to my local audio guy today. They want $600.00 to install a alarm and door locks! I think not. I'll do it myself.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
Cooper197

Its very simple to do!
It also allows for a few nice little upgrades/modifications in the process, a huge one being the cabin light turning on with lock/unlock and when you open the doors.
The alarm will have an input for door switches, which you could choose not to use, or pop some cheap switches in and then wire it to the alarm and dome light. Super simple, and much more functional than it would seem!

If you've never done one before, I'd suggest sitting down and looking at the wiring diagram when you get it and decide what you do and don't need on it and cutting out the parts of it you don't need. That'll make it much easier to manage.
Cooper197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
_Ogre

i have a skytek galaxy 5000rs on truk, i wanted something with a few addition functions on the remote
i have shaved latches, a trunk and tonneau all with remote open capability and remote start
after the install i have done nothing with it in 25,000 miles

the galaxy has a simple 5 button remote, the 5th button is a shift function for additional functions
i did originally have 2 way remotes, but they ate batteries every month, so i went with the simple 1 way remotes
the instructions were easy enough to follow though it is quite involved with all the additional functions i chose

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Electric door/alarms

Here is what I would like.
Central door locking and unlocking with keys, remote are inside the truck with the lock knob in the door. I would like to get remote start also.
Got any links for the systems you used?

Ogre,
Is this the one you bought?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GALAXY-5000R...item5d362e750e

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 11-01-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #7
68shortwide

Not trying to jack your thread Andy, I just find it an appropriate place for a question. What's my best option as far as an alarm, shaving the key holes but keeping handles, will have power locks and windows, preferred remote start and hood pins. Thanks. Guess I'm taking over the audio section
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: Electric door/alarms

No problem man! Mine ant going no where.

I'm going to keep my key holes so I can lock both doors at once. Either with the fob are the key are the inside lock.

68shortwide,
Something to think about on the key hole. Instead of it being shaved make it the on/off switch for the alarm. It would be in plan sight and no one would ever know it wasn't the door lock anymore, well unless they read this are spend enough time breaking into the truck to figure it out.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
68shortwide,
Something to think about on the key hole. Instead of it being shaved make it the on/off switch for the alarm. It would be in plan sight and no one would ever know it wasn't the door lock anymore, well unless they read this are spend enough time breaking into the truck to figure it out.
Never even thought about that....just figured I'd shave em for look and that way it wouldn't stick out being shiny or be all scratched up being black. Thanks Andy now you made me have to think about it :p
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Electric door/alarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
Never even thought about that....just figured I'd shave em for look and that way it wouldn't stick out being shiny or be all scratched up being black. Thanks Andy now you made me have to think about it :p

Lol... sorry man I just thought it would be easier than shaving it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club