The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

New trailer project

Yes, just another story of another shop time project ahead. Seems I keep adding to that list a lot lately.

So I had the day off on Columbus Day. For a 'day off' I decided it was a good day to take our 12' single axle trailer in tow looking for maybe a trade to a tandem. Wife was kind of convinced it was a good idea so the time was right before she actually heard I was actually leaving the house with cash in my pocket. (she listens always, but doesn't always "hear" the words I have figured out)

Stopped by a local dealer I've known for years who just had some arrive when I pulled into his lot and one was exactly what I was looking for; a 12' tandem. A deal was made.

I know, why so short a tandem? Here the method to my madness is wanting a trailer to haul loads with inside our budget as well within our needs. Actually it started when I began hauling firewood last summer where the round-trips were at times over 150 miles after finding a 12' single axle. Yet many loads such as I wanted to put on it (like firewood in bulk) and have risked on it are really just too heavy. Nothing bent or broken only from luck and the good lord being present on many a trip.Not to mention no run-ins with the DOT scale. For smaller loads the single axle did fine and the length has been easy to navigate. Yet for the real loads...does the phrase "on a wing and a prayer" ring a bell?

Yet with this upgrade, I figure that this 12' tandem, with the same twin 3500 lb Dexter axles under it that a 14,16 or 18' does, has less gross empty weight because it has less body/material than the long ones. Because of this lighter empty weight, with a 7k lb max weight when loaded, I figure I can haul higher capacity loads with a smaller trailer than a longer one without stressing the trailer providing I add height with side-racks. Plus I have had 16 and 18's in the past and rarely utilized their available deck space or they were overloaded because they had the space. Bent an axle once hauling 3 pallets of brick years ago on a 16' when I was young & dumber.

So now the fun begins as I get to build another set of side-racks for this new one. Taking from experience this one will be better than the first hopefully, but not much different. I actually used my brain on the first one! So just another project to get done I hope in the next week as I will have loads waiting to be picked-up by then.

Once complete though, the goal is to have a balanced rig for any and all of our hauling needs with a 12' tandem and the C-30 dump bed combination inside our budget. I think with this trailer I will have it.
I better, the wife is watching!

Now a trip to the lumber yard soon for more carriage bolts and boards. Currently savoring time in the pondering stage tonight...

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: New trailer project

Mark, I really like your truck, so clean for a "work" truck too.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
RuralRoute C-30

Well the trip to Lowes was yesterday after work for the materials and hardware for new sideboards. Since I traded the single axle trailer with the ones I had built last year, it is time to make new ones this week-end.

All the pieces of the 'puzzle' for this project are here.

Just finishing a cup of coffee before shop time. Sun is shining and the shed is warming up.

Should be interesting to see what goes as planned and what changes occur in the process. Seems that is always the case when doing what no book can teach you!

Mark

Old 10-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
RuralRoute C-30

Just a few pics of the progress. Since this is only the second time I've built these it remains a learning experience as the goal is to have solid sides that can take pressure from an inside load pushing outward, like firewood, but not flop around when empty.

Granted the single axle Diamond trailer had a tube top rail. It was different. This tandem has angle rails, different in its own way as well.

No matter, if a few pics help another in similar circumstances at some point, like it has me in many a project, hope these serve to illustrate just one man's imagination at work! It is always a puzzle when starting out.

Stopped here for the night and hope to finish today. Surprised to place a level on the completed sides last night and it passed! (I use that level and a mini-sledge a lot) Over 50 capscrews washers and nuts so far.

One thing for certain, these side-boards are turning out to be as strong as the last one with a few improvements. (I learn from the mistakes.) It definitely won't be bouncing around when empty.

Enjoy the day!
Mark

Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
RuralRoute C-30

Well the front assembly made me think. Darn I hate that in the morning!

Anyway, without stake pockets in the front to keep the vertical 2x4's from "kicking out" I had to ponder a solution. Here it is:

Basically it creates a "pocket" for these two 2x4's to sit in. That way any load pressure from the inside against it or just wind pushing inward when empty won't push the bottom of these two boards inward. I had bought a pair of bolt-on stake pockets but chose not to drill into the trailer. Figure I went this far without adding any holes into the frame, why start now so close to the end of getting it done. (The goal being a solid box and what I did worked just as well if not better)

With that done the rest was easy. Back to the clamps and spacers to keep the board gaps even during assembly, add the capscrews and to tie it all together, some 4" wood screws drilled into the front corners to secure the front corners to the sides:

Finally, I added a couple of turn-buckles at the inside front corners since it seemed to add firmness to the other trailer when I did it. They really do seem to help.

Following a road run to test it all out, that completed this project. It should have no problem with whatever is tossed in it.

Guess it will get painted sometime before winter but for now just glad to have it done. Wife said she saw a truck today with plywood sides leaning in the wind hauling wood on a trailer. With this set-up that won't be the case!

Hope for anyone doing something similar down the road this little illustration of mine might help add to the imagination.

Like someone once explained what was involved for me to fix my truck...it's just nuts and bolts, and with this project add some sawdust in the shop as well.

Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 10-18-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
RuralRoute C-30

Noticed a "minor" detail after getting it out in daylight with the truck. Tonight spent some time 'fixing' new.

This trailer came with the typical plastic license plate bracket and while I like the lights recessed, having broken one set on my other trailer because they weren't, after the sides were built that license plate was no longer completely unobstructed from the rear. Seems I recall law enforcement prefer all of the tag is visible. (I figure why invite a conversation on the side of the road to happen with this as the topic if it can be avoidable.)

So tonight some 'minor' modifications:

Actually a couple of weeks before I got this trailer I lost the tag due to the plastic license bracket snapping off the other trailer. (had to pay for a new one!)

So I fabricated this bracket from some duct work strap metal I had and don't expect it to break. Added a light and it should do fine to keep it 'road legal'. Will see on Saturday how it holds up going into the woods when it gets used. It may bend but it won't break!...

But other than the added time spent painting, this set-up is ready to go to work this week-end.

I know, a bit weird to take the time to trim around each capscrew and yes...the wife says I am crazy since it "is just a trailer"! .. A 'guy thing' I tell her and she laughs knowing I like 'details'. (I wonder if she will notice when the wheels turn chrome?).

Oh well, will see how the truck likes hauling the load on Saturday! It is nice to see it come together now as the truck and trailer unit I visualized when I bought it last winter.

Enjoy always,
Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 10-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Stitch
Account Suspended

very very nice Mark...wish I had something like that to goto work on our property here...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote