The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
cory d

Re: Big Block Muffler SHOOTOUT!

how quiet? a 24" long glass pack under the back of the cab with the tail pipe(s) ran over the axle and exiting out the back corning will not be too loud and also cheap. a glas pack with out any pipe or bends behind it hardly does anything. 8 feet of pipe with some bend will quiet it down allot.
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #27
mongoose

my spintechs i thought had more crack to em.. sounded great at 6 grand with an xpipe. Think, ziggy/raspy/throaty.. but not tinny/hollowy you'd get from a 5.slow with some 40 series.. nor farty like a glasspack.

i went from 50 series to 6000's.. still had nice rumble at idle/cruise.. but with some added crack..
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #28
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
Hey dieseldawg142, ("another thread on your fav muffler,lol!") there are things some of us don't know much about, so posting threads on this forum asking questions about what we don't know much about helps us understand what we don't know much about! GET IT, GOT IT?
I'm pretty sure he was ribbing INSIDIOUS for getting on the Spin Tech soap box again.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I'm pretty sure he was ribbing INSIDIOUS for getting on the Spin Tech soap box again.

Probably has the best margin at the muffler shop?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Oh I'm sure.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #31
INSIDIOUS '86

Their just simply my favorite. I would like to believe someday that flowmasters will be a thing of the past and everyone will be like "remember those horrible mufflers we put on our cars back then?" sorry just like said above spinning 6k with an x pipe and these mufflers is like nothing else.

Another brand that impressed my is pypes exhaust. Their mufflers sound pretty clean as well. They aren't to quiet but not obnoxious unless you get their "violators?" I think they are called.
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
dieseldawg142

nothing wrong with a little muffler banter. it's all good. guys will pick whatever turns their crank, asking which is a better muffler is like ford vs chevy
SID likes his spintecs-thats cool, i like my flowmasters-thats cool too
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #33
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
Hey dieseldawg142, ("another thread on your fav muffler,lol!") there are things some of us don't know much about, so posting threads on this forum asking questions about what we don't know much about helps us understand what we don't know much about! GET IT, GOT IT?
savatreatabvr, go punch in flowmaster in the search & you will understand why i was messing with INSIDIOUS
Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #34
INSIDIOUS '86

Oh yes. I toot the spintech horn evey muffler thread :silly: I honestly was wondering when everyone would catch on and be like "didn't he say this ten times already"

I'm brand loyal for a good product. It's why we drive these trucks right?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #35
dieseldawg142

INSIDIOUS, i dont think i've ever heard more colorflow words to describe a muffler then what you come up with-flowbastard, flowslo, flowturd, flowbad, flownomore, correct me if i missed something
Old 12-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #36
INSIDIOUS '86

spit techs. Slowmasters magnaslow?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #37
tucsonjwt

I bought my 83 C20 454 with dual Midas turbo mufflers on it. 13 years later they are still nice and quiet, the way I like it, and performance is not an issue. I suspect they are just a common stock muffler, like Walker or something, with their name on it. Whatever you buy should last a long time in our neck of the woods with rust not being much of a problem, so you should select mufflers you can live with sound wise. I want to save what is left of my hearing.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #38
INSIDIOUS '86

Thrush welded series is good muffler for stock or near stock engines as well. I have them on my stepside.

Here's a vid when I just threw it on to see what it sounded like.
http://youtu.be/yyMSWfEglKI

I have a exhaust thread somewhere here with a bunch of vids of different setups that everyone runs. I will see if I can find it.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #39
mkdesign

Hey guys. Used a set of welded Trush mufflers on my '72 Mustang rag. They sounded great when first installed and four years later, they still sound the same. I love them and there is no drone at any RPM. So I had the muffler shop that did the exhaust on the car install them on my '74 GMC. But I made the mistake of not specifying the welded Thrushes and they installed the cheap stamped Thrush turbo style mufflers. Yuck. The truck came out sounding like an old dump truck! A healthy old dump truck, but a dump truck none the less.
mkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #40
vidman

Just to put more gas on the fire, when i had my 504 on the dyno it was hooked up to a set of Magnaflow mufflers to make the runs.. (keep the noise down) We made 15 runs on the mags and 2 last runs with open headers. The magnaflows robbed 12hp and 21ft lbs off the peak numbers. He also had flowmaster 40s set up to run also but he said that they rob more power than the magnaflows. I,m going to run Spintech super-pro 9000s on my ride when its complete. I wish i had known that he ran the different mufflers to prove to all his buddies which ones are better, I would have set up some spintechs to try out just to see what those numbers were but i quess we will never know for sure...
Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
savatreatabvr

The reason I started this thread is because not one person knows everything and a new member not being familiar with past threads has no idea threads have been already posted on certain subjects so if a past subject is being reintroduced it should be looked at as a new thread and not criticized by veteran members. I love this site do the common bond between knowledgeable and friendly people who share their information and experiences but when somebody harshes another members gig it's like tossing a turd in the punch bowl, it kinda ruins the party! !
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #42
INSIDIOUS '86

Here I started this thread a while back for this purpose. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466886
Old 12-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #43
B Barber

I absolutely love my SW mufflers. They are quite pricey when compared to other mufflers, but well worth the extra money IMO. I absolutely hate FM's, even though I have had no telling how many in the past. The cab drone they create bother me more and more as I get older. The SW's are fairly loud, but they have absolutely zero cab drone. I had them on my 468, and now on the 555.

1982 Sierra, 555 BBC, All Billet 700R4, Fab9 with 4.11's, Full 8.5 cert cage, 31x18x20 MT Sportsman S/R's on custom made 20x15 Amer. Racing Hopsters, 4-link with anti-roll bar and dual adj coilovers, Front drag shocks, Custom interior, and quite a bit more.
B Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #44
INSIDIOUS '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Barber View Post
I absolutely love my SW mufflers. They are quite pricey when compared to other mufflers, but well worth the extra money IMO. I absolutely hate FM's, even though I have had no telling how many in the past. The cab drone they create bother me more and more as I get older. The SW's are fairly loud, but they have absolutely zero cab drone. I had them on my 468, and now on the 555.
What version of the stainless works mufflers are you using?
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #45
B Barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
What version of the stainless works mufflers are you using?
They are the polished Turbo S-Tube mufflers in 3" in/out. They wind up hitting you for about $240 each.

1982 Sierra, 555 BBC, All Billet 700R4, Fab9 with 4.11's, Full 8.5 cert cage, 31x18x20 MT Sportsman S/R's on custom made 20x15 Amer. Racing Hopsters, 4-link with anti-roll bar and dual adj coilovers, Front drag shocks, Custom interior, and quite a bit more.
B Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #46
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Barber View Post
I agree, the older I get the more annoying it gets, HOLD ON, I never thought I'd say that LOL! But the unfortunate thing is there's no demo display in the auto part stores so we can hear what we're buying so we have to spend the money over and over to find that perfect sound and performance we all are looking for!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #47
tucsonjwt

Even if you had scientific laboratory comparison of the sound level of different mufflers, the actual sound in your truck would likely not match the laboratory comparisons. I have seen muffler sound comparisons on a corvette forum, but those were for performance exhaust - read loud.

BTW, why not spend a morning at that pick and pull on Buckeye and check out all of the old squares they have. I saw some exhaust systems that looked almost brand new. It is a crap shoot but if you see one with no holes or rust I think it is worth a shot. I think you can exchange it for store credit if it is no good. That would be my choice, plus a nice trip down old square memory lane. I would bring a good hack saw or battery powered sawzall from Harbor Freight if you have one. Some of those trucks had cats but some were just stock straight through setups. Or buy the whole exhaust if it looks good. Bring a small tarp to lay down on if you go - it is real nasty on the ground out there.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 AM   #48
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Even if you had scientific laboratory comparison of the sound level of different mufflers, the actual sound in your truck would likely not match the laboratory comparisons. I have seen muffler sound comparisons on a corvette forum, but those were for performance exhaust - read loud.

BTW, why not spend a morning at that pick and pull on Buckeye and check out all of the old squares they have. I saw some exhaust systems that looked almost brand new. It is a crap shoot but if you see one with no holes or rust I think it is worth a shot. I think you can exchange it for store credit if it is no good. That would be my choice, plus a nice trip down old square memory lane. I would bring a good hack saw or battery powered sawzall from Harbor Freight if you have one. Some of those trucks had cats but some were just stock straight through setups. Or buy the whole exhaust if it looks good. Bring a small tarp to lay down on if you go - it is real nasty on the ground out there.
Yeah, my favorite here in Phx is Ecology Auto Wrecking, I installed the hold up buttons in the cash drawers about 10 years, no I don't get a discount on parts, lol! I think I'll stray from the ol Ecology and try another junkyard since I have a hard time finding parts on their trucks because they've all been chewed to the bone already. I don't know what I'd do if I found a truck that still had meat on the bones, I'd probably buy the whole truck and flip it upside down in the back yard, they seem easier to work on that way, lol!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #49
tucsonjwt

As of about 6 weeks ago, most of the 15 or so squares at the Buckeye place were mostly intact, except for drivetrain components. I know I saw at least 2 or 3 with excellent exhaust systems. Hoods and fenders were being removed quickly, though. I was there on their half price grand re-opening days, so lots of traffic and bargain hunters.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #50
rs74

I wish they still made these. I used to run these on an old Cutlass I had years ago. Always loved the sound of the round tubes. The glass pack style just doesn't even compare to these.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote