The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Eastwood engine paint

Has anybody had any experience using this product? It says you can brush it on with good results. I will be painting with motor in truck. They show a motor that was brushed if you click customer pics. Looks great.
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-ceramic-e...hev-ornge.html
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Eastwood engine paint

bump for any experiences on this process...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have not used the Eastwood paint, so far I have had outstanding results with the Duplicolor ceramic paint that you can buy at O Reilly's. It stands up to high temps real well.

Mask a lot and use a spray.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Mask a lot and use a spray.
That's why I am interested in this product. It can go on using a foam brush. My thinking is that it would require little masking and you can get better detail and coverage by putting the paint where you want it...I may be wrong. I'm sure I'll end up doing spray bomb.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
cdowns

the whole trick of painting an engine is cleaning and recleaning then cleaning some more// all oily rersidue and deposits must b removed, it's a bit harder with the engine in place but can b done
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I used the Eastwood paint many years ago and I had great success with it. I agree, make sure you clean your engine and when you think you've got it cleaned, clean it some more.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
MCSO5164

Not sure about the Eastwood engine paint. I will be trying out some Por 15 engine enamel soon. Cleaning the engine is a long slow process. You think it's done but then you look again and darn theres some more spots that need to be cleaned again. Terry
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSO5164 View Post
Not sure about the Eastwood engine paint. I will be trying out some Por 15 engine enamel soon. Cleaning the engine is a long slow process. You think it's done but then you look again and darn theres some more spots that need to be cleaned again. Terry
I'm still shopping for paint. I really only need to paint the intake and front of engine. the rest is fairly clean and painted.
I am thinking the Eastwood brush on/spray on is similar to por15. If not exactly the same. I want it to stick on the intake especially where it burns at the cross overs. I'm probably going to get a Por15 "paint kit". They come with everything, degreaser, paint prep, rust coat, and paint. Plus gloves, brushes, mask for around 50 bucks+shipping on ebay and other places.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Charlie, I know that others have had some issues with laying POR15 on their engines; not so much the block, but on bolts on pieces.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
POPO1984

I have some experience with eastwoods rust incapsulator which is similiar to por15. It works great and I have had great success with there other products. I am planning on using the engine paint soon so if you try it post the results
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPO1984 View Post
I have some experience with eastwoods rust incapsulator which is similiar to por15. It works great and I have had great success with there other products. I am planning on using the engine paint soon so if you try it post the results
Whether I go with Eastwood or POR15 I'll post pics...I plan to paint just the intake and block and heads with the brush on. I feel that for the valve covers and timing cover I will rattle can them for a smooth surface...I am a skeptic that a brush on paint will smooth out enough for the v/c's and timing cover.
Mine are O.K. enough to just clean up and done. So I may not even repaint those items.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I just reread what I wrote above and I must have been tired that day. I've used the Por-15 engine paint with great results. I didn't use the Eastwood as I mentioned.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I just reread what I wrote above and I must have been tired that day. I've used the Por-15 engine paint with great results. I didn't use the Eastwood as I mentioned.
Oh man, I just ordered Eastwood based on your remark...Just kidding you Brad...

I just ordered from Eastwood. I called them and they said to use the rust converter on the rusted areas, then paint. They promised me that if I clean and prep well, it won't come off. AND, they said that if a high quality paint brush made of horse OR bores hair is used, the paint WILL lay smooth.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
leddzepp

I use POR exclusively. I used it on my engine and everything under the hood. Daily driver, and still looks brand new 4 yrs. later. I used POR 20 hi heat paint on my exhaust manifolds, and they look NOS to this day.

I have never heard a bad thing about Eastwood either, just never used it since POR works for me.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 04-01-2010 at 09:40 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #15
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

As you guys can see, this was a difficult choice to pick a paint. In the old days you go get spray cans, pretty easy. Choices confuse me.
Seems most use Por, others have had good results with EW.
I can't wait to see how it comes out.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

So................where are the frickin' PICTURES, guys?

My engine is in good condition but its black (when I'd prefer Chevy Orange) and the intake is flaking black on an older Holley Contender dual plane intake.

Rather than try to redo the engine while its in the truck, I'm going to take everything I can easily manage to get off it, touch up the black with a foam brush and/or spray (probably Duplicor or VHT) but I want to wire wheel the intake while on the engine and foam paint it a (hopefully) brilliant silver. When you guys say clean, clean and more clean, are you suggesting degreaser as in Castrol Purple, Simple Green, etc, or are you saying use Lacquer Thinner or Acetone, or all of them? What order?

Oh and P.S. I'm gonna buy that Eastwoods exhaust manifold paint. It looks GOOD in the pictures on that link....unless one of you can recommend a regular retail-available exhaust manifold paint; preferably brush on, that will stay nice?

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 04-25-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

I need to update this...I sent all the Eastwood stuff back to them. I have come to realize they are no different than any other profit based business. The sales staff does not know which of there products work with what. The first sales guy told me to use rust converter as a base before paint. I called them for another question I had, the tech guy said NO do not use rust converter, use a etching primer. So I bought some. Well I was getting ready to start layin primer and was on Eastwoods tech section on the site. It clearly says that the etching primer is not for temp above 180*...I was pissed to say the least. So I told them that I have no trust or faith they know what they are doing, and expect a full credit on products purchased.
Long story short, I'm doing it the way I know how. Spray can...

Dan in Pasadena, what I did to clean was use simple green for the big stuff to knock it off. Then go back with a pre paint prep such as acetone. The key is to not let the acetone have a chance to dry before you wipe. In fact there are better products to use over acetone. Acetone evaporates to quickly. That's the only thing I kept from my Eastwood order, the pre paint prep cleaner. Seems like brake cleaner to me.
Just remember this, if you think you can't get it any cleaner, your about half way there, keep wiping. Oh, and use the paper shop towels for wiping. They are cheap, convenient, and no lint left behind.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

So, what happened in the end?

What did you use, how did you use it (paintbrush / spray)?

How does it look?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70k52wd View Post
I need to update this...I sent all the Eastwood stuff back to them. I have come to realize they are no different than any other profit based business. The sales staff does not know which of there products work with what. The first sales guy told me to use rust converter as a base before paint. I called them for another question I had, the tech guy said NO do not use rust converter, use a etching primer. So I bought some. Well I was getting ready to start layin primer and was on Eastwoods tech section on the site. It clearly says that the etching primer is not for temp above 180*...I was pissed to say the least. So I told them that I have no trust or faith they know what they are doing, and expect a full credit on products purchased.
Long story short, I'm doing it the way I know how. Spray can...

Dan in Pasadena, what I did to clean was use simple green for the big stuff to knock it off. Then go back with a pre paint prep such as acetone. The key is to not let the acetone have a chance to dry before you wipe. In fact there are better products to use over acetone. Acetone evaporates to quickly. That's the only thing I kept from my Eastwood order, the pre paint prep cleaner. Seems like brake cleaner to me.
Just remember this, if you think you can't get it any cleaner, your about half way there, keep wiping. Oh, and use the paper shop towels for wiping. They are cheap, convenient, and no lint left behind.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
Gobbles

Hey 70k52, When your done do you mind posting pics and maybe some tips on trouble areas? I never considered painting my engine without removing it but that would be so much less hassle, I am looking forward to seeing your final product... then I'm gonna copy it

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
68gmcdually

We found less than favourable results with both brands mentioned above, that is why we started imported Hirsch Products for our own use, and now import them on a grander scale for distribution in Canada, they offer engine enamels, rust paints, high heat manifold and intake paint and gas tank sealer.

http://www.hirschauto.com

1968 930 Extend-A-Cab Dually 5.7l, 5 speed,
68gmcdually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #21
dandansuperman

I pulled my engine this weekend and plan on painting it chevy orange. I am going to use PlastiKote chevy orange #200. I have done a lot of research and have found that this paint seems to hold up real well. I have also heard good reviews on the POR 15, but I read that PlastiKote is one of the best matching chevy orange paints around. I have been roughing up the paint all week and plan on cleaning it up for many hours to come. I bought the Eastwood PrePrep and it really works great. I really think it is just brakecleaner but don't take that to the bank. In my opinion if your going to paint the motor just go for broke and pull it out of the truck. There is so many little parts that can't be painted correctly while it is in the truck. I will try and get some pics on here as soon as I can. Here is a pic from the Chevelle Forum using PlastiKote Chevy Orange 200. Good Luck!
Attached Images

dandansuperman is offline   Reply With Quote