The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
truknut

Lights convert to Gauges

I was wondering what I need to do to change my light cluster over to a gauge cluster. I have a 72 Chevy. I bought the gauge cluster yesterday at a swap meet.
truknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
roj2323

Re: Lights convert to Gauges

it's not terrebly hard to do but it does hale a little common sence. just remember the altanator wire is brown in your truck not black with a white stripe.

here's some stuff that will help:

color wire diagram:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856

tech tip: <note i didn't do mine this way as it's alot more work.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/techtips...lectric_2.html

something i copied from another site but i forget which one:

Swapping A Idiot Light Dash Out To Gauge Dash
The following is for a gauge dash this gives the numbered position of the wires in gauge dash and followed by what it supplies, then number from idiot light dash you move wire from.1-Black with white stripe (alternator) This runs from the 12 R from voltage regulator and should have a inline fuse.2-Tan (Brake warning light) Original position 23-Pink (Fuel Gauge) Original Position 74-Tan(Fuel Gauge) Original Position 45-Empty(not Used)6-Dark Green (Temp. Gauge) Original position 57-Black(ground)Original Position 68-Gray(cluster light feed) Original Position 129-Medium Blue (Right turn) Original Position 1110-Lt. Blue (left turn) Original Position 1011-Lt. Green (high Beam indicator) Original Position 912-Black/w brown stripe use wire ran from the junction block near battery mounted to passenger side fender with a inline fuse located at junction block end.Remove the wires from your loom plug and place the colors in the # on plug that corresponds with the color from list above. You will need to replace your idiot light temp. gauge for a temp. sending unit with gauges. The black and white wire feeds from the 12gRed wire off back of alternator and requires the use of 2-4amp inline fuses, this wire you need to make and run. The DARK BLUE wire that was originally in #1 position should be deleted because this was the idiot light for the oil pressure. If you need more info. ask.
Attached Images

roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote