The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
virginiacreeper

Temp sending unit

I've a 1960 Apache 20 that I installed a slightly newer small block in and didn't really see a good spot to put the temp sender in so I got a Glowshift inline piece. This takes a 1/8 27 NPT sender but I believe the stock sender has much lower resistance than most current senders. Anyone know of a 1/8 sender that has the correct values for the factory gauge? Ideally, it would be two wire as the inline piece is insulated by the radiator hose.
Thanks! Ray
Posted via Mobile Device
virginiacreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Temp sending unit

I seriously doubt you are going to find a sender that small that will work with the factory gauge.

If your engine has a 3/8" NPT threaded hole in either head, you can get one of these that will work with the factory gauge.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=726700

If the heads do not have any threaded holes for a temp sender, What I have done before is install a tee fitting where the heater hose outlet is on the intake manifold. Then install the factory original style temp sender in the top. This is not ideal but at least you have some way to monitor the engine temp.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
cwcarpenter98

I got a factory cast iron intake manifold from 68 to use on my 63, but the hole for the temp sensor was too small. I ended up taking it to a machine shop that was able to drill and tap it for the original sensor from my truck. A couple weeks later, I needed a new water pump, and it looks like there is a threaded hole that comes plugged from the factory that would be just the right size for a factory unit

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I have a better one but it will take a little money But done right you will be happy with it Plus i use it on all 9 trucks i own.

You need to buy the edalbrock performer alum Intake and get the straight out housing from the 1960--68 283-327 engines that had the cast iron ones. But you can buy the alum one now days.

Here are a few pics to help you the intake is in the pic sorry did not have the housing handy at the time of the pic But will you you 2 pics of the 1965 that has this system and the 1972 both a C20's works on all modals
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote