The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
gabbin

coolant temp with wire and a coiled shielding

Does anyone know what kind of temp sensor is in my truck? It is fully wired sensor that has a coiled springy shielding, that goes from the top of the manifold and runs all the way into the cab to an aftermarket gauge.
Attached Images

gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
LVPhotos

Re: coolant temp with wire and a coiled shielding

Aftermarket
Attached Images

LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
gabbin

Thank you Sir
gabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
61K10

It's a mechanical gauge compared to an electrical gauge with a sending unit in the manifold and a wire going to the gauge. These use to be the best but the elect. stuff has come along way in the last 20 years.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I still like the factory gauge.It make the truck to cluttered.The factory gauge is dead on i should know.I drove a truck for over 500K for 18 years 2 motors never blown a head gasket.

I had rules on how i set my truck up.After having a wire fire in my truck in 1991.I replaced all my factory wire harness with the factory re pop M&H harness.At that time they did not offer HEI harness so i have to cut and pasted..

When i went from the 283 to the 350 i had the engine shop put in a stage 1 RV cam.

My truck came with a 4.10 rear gear with a 2 speed power glide and power assisted steering called the ram.

I bought a brand new 3 core radiator brass and copper and a new shroud and put in a 7 blade metal fan with clutch.Ran the factory 283-327 small water pump.On my newer 1980 350 2 bolt main alum edalbrock Performer intake spread bore Ran a 650 1405 crab.A factory GM HEI

Ran the factory ram horns that have the alt hook ups casted in the manifold.I used the 1973 corvette wires for the first year of HEI cus they run under my motor.

I use the 1960--67 283-327 Thermostat cast iron or alum straight out housing to avoid running my housing and radiator hose into my Temp sending switch.

A 180 Thermostat should be used

I'm running a 7 blade metal fan that has the clutch option The fan i'm using is a Dodge cus there 15.5 inches wide are shrouds are barley 16 inches wide.Gives off massive cooling.

Stay away from Flex fans if you value your life and your other parts in your truck.

One thing you kids seem to leave out of your trucks.But i say you need It the Heater Core.It works both in the winder months and the summer months.

It is the one thing that keeps you from blowing a head gasket.

30 to 50 Sec's is a life time to cooling water.It can drop the temp from 250 to 190 in that amount of time having a catch bottle helps too.

You new people need to learn the hard facts about old trucks and car's.

New stuff kinda dose it for you so you get lazy.Be come a Abit gauge watcher every 4-8 miles scan your gauges.

If not you will be playing that game about how many rocks you can make it in to a empty can while your getting rained on or Getting heat stroke.

My grand father told me many time's If the truck fry's you fry if its 130 degrees out there and you pulling a load up a hill and you see that temp climbing turn on the heater turn it to defrost Open up the drivers vent wing window have both windows down and slow down and you will make it home safe.

Now I've added disc brakes to mine Power steering and Brake made my truck more enjoyable to drive

AC-Delco Plugs or Champions work best in are GM car's and trucks
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

More pics
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

More pics of how wire are ran for stock points and HEI plug wires
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

this is a new wire harness i put in in 1995 its still in there today and working like it should
Attached Images