The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #101
awbrown

Re: I'm COLD. NEED HEAT. GOING MAD

Like kels said verify it with a gauge .. I had a wrecker that ran into the red on hot days , and that was where a good heater came in, ran it on high with the windows open and the gauge would go down .. Just staying , now that you have a good heater .. lol
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #102
Figuarus

i haven't gotten around to installing the temp gauge yet since I don't have a manifold port to attach the sensor, and also, i haven't had enough time.

I have been running around with the electric fan on, and the heater on medium. NOW i'm roasting...

I'm thinking I will also change back to a 180 thermostat since it will allow the engine to run a bit cooler.

What do you guys suggest for coolant temp sending unit location? get a thermostat housing with a hole in it for the probe, or add it into the existing port at the water pump?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #103
PGSigns

Most that did not have a port on the intake used a spot in the heads. I put a heater control valve on mine and open and close it with a choke cable. Works well to cut the heat back some.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #104
Figuarus

I don't think I have a head port. I have camelback 192's installed.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #105
Figuarus

OK. So i'm gonna close this one out since the original issues has pretty much been fixed. I also swapped the 180 thermostat back in, and the engine is running a lot cooler, but still giving me plenty of heat in the cab.

If anyone else is having this problem, I'll add the basic run through of what I did for posterity.

1.) Check for Coolant level. add if necessary.

2.) Check for leaks

3.) check heater hose connections. the smaller 5/8 hose runs from the manifold to the small pipe on the heater core. the 3/4 hose is the return line.

4.) If any part of the cooling system is opened, make sure all the air is out. You may have to remove the core from the airbox and let it hang low to allow air to escape. If you have a pressure tester, I think you can skip that.

5.) Check fittings, core, and radiator for obstructions. any rust, lime, scale,etc will cause low/no heat conditions.

6.) If your thermostat temp rating is too low for the ambient temp, you will not get enough heat. I guess the recommended rating is 195 in the winter, 180/160 in the warmer spring and summer months.

7.) Extremely cold situations may call for you to install a winter guard. Cardboard works well.

8.) If all else fails, or if you have enough blockage in either the core or the radiator, replace.

I kept my core, and am going to attempt to run CLR through it and see if it cleans up a little. It's an original Harrison copper core.

Thanks for all the help guys! I really do appreciate your patience with me!