The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Please help identify wires

I would like to ask you fine folks to please help me figure out a couple of wires. I am having trouble finding them on the wiring diagram. I am attaching pictures.

Picture 1:
Both of the wires have connectors.

Picture 2:
The pink wire comes out of the firewall using a grommet that looks like original factory wiring to me, a little bit above and to the right of the harness connector. But I suppose it could be an add-on for something.

Picture 3:
note 1 -- pink wire at the firewall
note 2 -- the connectors
note 3 -- the orange wire has a ragged end
note 4 -- they appear to be harnessed together at one point, now the wrapping is ragged

Picture 4:
Pink wire ends up at the fuse box, I am pointing to the pink wire with the red arrow.

The connector ends of both of these wires was sitting on top of the engine when I got the truck back from the mechanic who helped with engine installation. The mechanic gave me the helpful advise of don't worry about those wires, and hinted that the orange wire may have gone to the transmission to advance timing. The truck had a points distributor but has been upgraded to a used HEI and only one power wire goes to the distributor now. So, I don't know if these would have run to the old points distributor. I'm kind of thinking the pink wire may be power wire going to some accessory, and really don't know what to think of the orange wire. The heater blower motor has a purple wire going to it.

This is a 1969 Chevrolet CST/10 with 350 CU IN engine, Turbo 400 automatic transmission, factory air conditioning, no tachometer on the dash, and GM/Delco AM/FM/8-track.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Please help identify wires

I believe those pink & orange wires were originally for the TH400 transmission kick down ... aka "passing gear".

As you have noticed, the pink wire receives power from the fuse panel and runs through a grommet in the firewall. From there, it ran to a kickdown switch mounted near the carburetor. Then the orange wire ran from the kickdown switch down to a connector on the transmission case that in turn connects to the kickdown solenoid inside the trans.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Re: Please help identify wires

That is interesting. I wonder if I should look into hooking that back up.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote